Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts
Default Finally! Pat Kirwans Mock #1

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...o&confirm=true

i like his the best cause of his experience as a scout and as a gm in the war room. there is probably nobody who does more comprehensive research, 100's of interviews and attending all senior bowl practices.

Quote:
With the draft just over a month away, it appears there could be quite a bit of movement in the first round.

A number of teams are looking for a limited amount of talent at a few key positions. With that in mind, I've decided to incorporate trades in my first mock draft.

Considering there is no true franchise quarterback in a Peyton Manning mold, it might be difficult for the Dolphins to move out of the top spot. If there are going to be any deals, things should start to heat up after the top three selections.

As for the Dolphins, I might be pushing for a pre-draft contract with my selection because at least three of the top six players would also meet their pressing needs.

In this version, there will not be a center, fullback, or even a true guard taken in the first round. Depth at corner, offensive tackle and defensive end will make for a run at those positions
Quote:
15. Detroit Lions
Branden Albert
OL, Virginia Although the Lions want to run the ball more, they have to protect the quarterback better or the offense will suffer. I have done a lot of research on Albert and he is emerging as a left tackle candidate who can play guard or right tackle. George Foster is not the answer. The Lions will find a solid back in the second round.

Quote:
23. Pittsburgh Steelers
Gosder Cherilus
OT, Boston College I interviewed Cherilus recently and after a half hour of talking with him my conclusion was he's a Steeler. Cherilus is still learning the game after moving to the United States from Haiti his sophomore year in high school, but he's tough, nasty and loves the physical part of the game
Quote:
There will be an updated first-round mock draft every week leading up to the April 26-27 selection process. There could be some radical changes as I speak with people around the league and factor in the late pro days.

Players currently outside of the first round who might break in next week include Devin Thomas, Michigan wide receiver Mario Manningham, Felix Jones, Jonathan Stewart, Early Doucet, Sam Baker.
he has jets and raiders trading, pats and saints, and vikings and eagles. chris long #1 to dolphins
Old 03-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,656 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Finally! Pat Kirwans Mock #1

I hope he is wrong with our first round pick I just don't like the gosder pick.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...o&confirm=true

i like his the best cause of his experience as a scout and as a gm in the war room. there is probably nobody who does more comprehensive research, 100's of interviews and attending all senior bowl practices.

he has jets and raiders trading, pats and saints, and vikings and eagles. chris long #1 to dolphins
I Like Kirwan...but would rather grab Benedict than Cherilus. I also think that Manningham will be back in the 1st round by the time of the draft.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,577 Times in 1,699 Posts

After seeing Cherilus in the Senior Bowl I really didnt like his ability to deal with speed pass rushers. I strictly saw him as a RT that would have trouble with speed.

He still is strictly a RT, but I believe he as the physical ability to improve and be able to handle the faster guys....I never doubted that he is a mauler and I like that.

I would not have a problem with him being drafted, but is #23 too high to be picking a RT??? It just means that either Smith or Starks will be the future at LT for a few more seasons.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

I would not have a problem with him being drafted, but is #23 too high to be picking a RT??? It just means that either Smith or Starks will be the future at LT for a few more seasons.
it seems like a reach based on need. like i said in another post, i dont wanna see the steelers spend their #1 pick on the 4th or 5th ranked player at any position. if thats the case, i'd just as soon see them take the BPA regardless of position. k. rivers?

if it were between the 5th or 6th best lineman or the #2 wr, i might even lean towards a wr, and i hate the idea of taking another wr in the 1st round.

b. alberts steady climb up the draft boards from the 2nd round is reminding me alot of the same climb justin harrel made last year when he went to the packers. a head scratcher then that proved to be good value and allowed them flexibility and the opportunity to let a good player go and save some cash too.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Dylan
Starter

Member Number: 3276

brandon albert at 15? i think he would kinda be a reach for us at 23
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #7
polamalu82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8234

I don't like Cherilus at #23. Also, he has Mike Jenkins falling out of the first. He's right below Leodis Mcekelvin on most boards. I think Mike Jenkins will be either the second or third CB off the board. Then he has Denver taking Dan Conner with Williams still available. I'm not a fan of this mock.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

Cherilus is a talent, but i think he may be a lot more BC program hype than that early of a pick.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:18 AM   #9
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

First off, let's get one thing straight. The team was going to pick the 5th or 6th O-lineman in the draft the whole time. Now there have been questions or assumptions as to who that might be, but we've known the whole time that would be the case.

Before the news of Alberts intangibles and his rise up the boards, Cherilus was looking to be the O-lineman that would be available at 23. So nothing has really changed, except that many fell in love with Albert.

Cherilus was my pick (for O-line) before Albert made his meteoric rise. I would choose Albert over Cherilus, just like I would choose Groves over Cherilus. But with O-line being the need that it is, the team may choose to take the BA O-lineman and that could be Cherilus.

As far as the mock, I don't like it. I think Kirwan, just like many others, is off with quite a few picks. I don't see Groves going to any team other than a team that runs the 3-4. I don't see James Hardy being picked that high either. Time will tell.

On a side note, I look for Clady to fall down the board.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
First off, let's get one thing straight. The team was going to pick the 5th or 6th O-lineman in the draft the whole time. Now there have been questions or assumptions as to who that might be, but we've known the whole time that would be the case.

Before the news of Alberts intangibles and his rise up the boards, Cherilus was looking to be the O-lineman that would be available at 23. So nothing has really changed, except that many fell in love with Albert.

Cherilus was my pick (for O-line) before Albert made his meteoric rise. I would choose Albert over Cherilus, just like I would choose Groves over Cherilus. But with O-line being the need that it is, the team may choose to take the BA O-lineman and that could be Cherilus.

As far as the mock, I don't like it. I think Kirwan, just like many others, is off with quite a few picks. I don't see Groves going to any team other than a team that runs the 3-4. I don't see James Hardy being picked that high either. Time will tell.

On a side note, I look for Clady to fall down the board.
Wow! A voice of reason....
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote