Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #81
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220
Default Re: Duke fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Actually Hansbrough burst into tears when he got clocked by Gerald Henderson in Chapel Hill, not Cameron, when ol' Roy still had him in the game trying to run up the score

As for Laettner - 4 Final Fours, two national championships, and the winning shot in the greatest college game ever played - no Tar Heel can match that (Jordan might have been able to, but the only man who was able to hold Jordan under 20 points a game in college was Dean Smith)

As for the sissy crack, I will consider the source (what 1992 game are you even talking about?)
1992 (i think... could have been 91... i was 16 or 17 and memory isnt clear about the year.) Carolina wore whites... because Montross was bloody from having hs cheek under his eye scrated by Laettner in the 1st half. Flattened him about 6 min into the second half. I used to tape all of the games and I'll ask my dad if they still have them at the house...

Oh, I'll never take the accolades away from CL. He was a money player, no doubt. But toughness was not his strong suit. He was a pretty boy.

I'll take this opportunity to add that as much as I dislike Duke, Shane Battier was simply the best college basketball player I have ever seen. Hands down, could do it ALL and better than anyone before or since. Who cares about the pros, he was the best in college.

As for Jordan... I think he was a better pro than college player. Battier was better in college than him.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #82
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
I'm thinking all of them Declare, but Hansboroguh in my opinion appears to be the closest Lock towards Staying in NC. I could see him ending up with the Bobcats if he does go NBA.

Lawson needs more work to be NBA Successful. as well as Possibly Ellington.

Now if these guys are like the Florida Four, there is a good chance if one goes, they all go.
I'm thinking along the same lines as you on this. I dont think any of them are ready to be successful. Ellington perhaps is closer than the others.

I thought that hed end up a bobcat as well! He REALLY needs to improve his defensive game.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #83
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Quote:
Agreed they were a #3 seed - IMO they got the #2 based on the weight given to beating Carolina in Chapel Hill and the mistaken belief the ACC was a good conference this year

Of course college ball was top heavy this year. Outside of Louisville (which blew its chance for a #2 by losing to Pitt in the Big East tournament) there were not a lot of deserving candidates for the #2 slot to replace Duke
Save injuries early on, Louisville could have been #1 in the nation
Old 04-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #84
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post

WAIT A DAMN MINUTE! College Basketball and Pro Football are two totally different level and sports. In Pro Football those teams have BYE WEEKS. College Basketball you don't have a bye.
Obviously. On many levels. Which even comes to the 'bye week' argument. Football eams would benefit more from a bye week as it is a higher contact sport and recovery times are a bit longer.

But home court/field is the same anywhere and its always earned in the same way. Bust your hump, play hard, beat the best and earn it.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #85
millwalldavey
Head Coach

geeze... i shoullda compiled all thes responses into one!

this is kinda fun!

At least we all agree on the Steelers!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #86
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,446 Times in 3,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwalldavey View Post
1992 (i think... could have been 91... i was 16 or 17 and memory isnt clear about the year.)

I'll take this opportunity to add that as much as I dislike Duke, Shane Battier was simply the best college basketball player I have ever seen. Hands down, could do it ALL and better than anyone before or since. Who cares about the pros, he was the best in college.

As for Jordan... I think he was a better pro than college player. Battier was better in college than him.
Thanks for the kind words on Battier

IMO the best college basketball player I ever saw was David Thompson, who played when the ACC was at its peak in the early 70s, could jump through a roof and had a sweet jump shot to go with it - cocaine and a knee injury ruined his pro career but before there was Jordan there was David.

As an illustration of his leaping ability, check out this link to the legendary SI cover of 6'4" Thompson going up against 6'11" Bill Walton

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_o...0401_large.jpg
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #87
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Quote:

IMO the best college basketball player I ever saw was David Thompson, who played when the ACC was at its peak in the early 70s, could jump through a roof and had a sweet jump shot to go with it - cocaine and a knee injury ruined his pro career but before there was Jordan there was David.

As an illustration of his leaping ability, check out this link to the legendary SI cover of 6'4" Thompson going up against 6'11" Bill Walton

Thompson in college was a few years boefore my days, but i remember him with the Nuggets slightly... Dad told me he was awesome. I saw a lot of highlight films of him. Damn he could jump.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #88
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:

Although I never saw him myself, as I was only in diapers when he was at UCLA, I have a feeling Kareem should at least be mentioned here as well. The NCAA outlawed dunking for a time because of him. UCLA went 88-2 during his time on the varsity there, including 3 national championships with Kareem winning tournament MVP all 3 times. On top of that, UCLA's freshman team with Kareem beat UCLA's varsity team (which at the time was the two-time defending national champion) by 15 points in the inaugural game of Pauley Pavilion. Not too shabby.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #89
millwalldavey
Head Coach

I guess its hard to make an argument for the best ever unless you saw them play. Kareem is a good candidate for the title, based on everything mentioned above. One thing to kinda put the UCLA years in some perspective (not to slight them... believe me) is that in those days, there were simply not as many good programs (and the best of the best seemed to end up at UCLA). In Thompsons 1970's there were emerging programs that are prominent today, but you still couldn't field 64 (let alone 32 then) where half of them had a legit shot to win it all each year.

My argument for Battier is based on his performance and the times he played in. So many good programs, so many good players.

Think about some of the grat players who never get to college or the pros!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #90
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,669 Times in 1,584 Posts

like len bias........

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote