Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #121
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087
Default Re: 2008 Penn State Football Thread

because Sean Lee was their best linebacker

Wouldn't you be pissed if one of the best players on your favorite team blew out his knee???
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:53 PM   #122
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
because Sean Lee was their best linebacker

Wouldn't you be pissed if one of the best players on your favorite team blew out his knee???
Pissed? No.

Annoyed? Sure.

But it's still not going to matter for Penn State. They'll still lose to Michigan and Ohio State.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #123
Lord Stiller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Pissed? No.

Annoyed? Sure.

But it's still not going to matter for Penn State. They'll still lose to Michigan and Ohio State.
and Michigan and Ohio St will still choke in their bowl games, so whats your point?
Old 04-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #124
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

I hope Lee can get a medical. That would be a shame... he was set to take over.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #125
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
What are you guys complaining about?

The last two years all I've heard is how deep and talented the Penn State LBing corps is. If that's true, this should be no problem.
Lee was supposed to actually take over and lead this core. Now the biggest name we have left in Jerome Hayes. Though I will hold all projections on this until we hit the Blue/White Game.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #126
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
and Michigan and Ohio St will still choke in their bowl games, so whats your point?
That the Little 11 sucks.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #127
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08102/872388-143.stm
Paterno's status becomes year-to-year deal
Friday, April 11, 2008
By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

"We are in agreement that a contract would have little practicality ..."

Graham Spanier, Penn State president in an e-mail

Penn State coach Joe Paterno won't sign another formal contract with the university.

President Graham Spanier said yesterday that if Paterno continues beyond the final year of his contract this season, he would do so with a handshake.

"We are in agreement that a contract would have little practicality, given coach Paterno's seniority," Spanier wrote in an e-mail. "None of us see that as necessary. Our preference is to continue to review the status of the program on an annual basis, and we will next do so at the conclusion of the 2008 season."

Paterno, 81, has worked without a contract in the past. He signed his current four-year extension in May of 2004, despite suffering through three losing seasons in the previous four years.

Paterno is entering his 43rd season as the Nittany Lions' boss. He is the second-winningest coach in Division I history, trailing only Florida State's Bobby Bowden.

Paterno joked with reporters late last month that he would like to coach "another 10 years." He later added: "If I've got to have a contract to keep my job here, I'm in the wrong place."

Two members of Penn State's Board of Trustees, however, told the Post-Gazette that the university had been trying to get Paterno to set a timetable for his retirement, agree to a succession plan or risk getting pushed out.

Paterno dug in his cleats.

Now the two sides appear to have reached an agreement that could allow Paterno -- who has no agent -- to coach another year or two after the 2008 season, as long as both sides agree to it.

"This is what you would expect from Penn State -- for the situation to be handled in this manner," Guido D'Elia, director of communications and branding of football, said last night. "I think this kind of arrangement is fairly unique to college football."

Spanier said he and athletic director Tim Curley have met twice with Paterno in the last month to discuss his future. A succession plan also was discussed.

"The three of us are very mindful of the importance of a smooth transition, and we are very confident that will occur when we reach that point," Spanier said. "We acknowledge and respect that other institutions have recently announced different succession plans, but we feel that each university must evaluate its own approach.

"We will be prepared when the time comes, and, of course, we will identify someone who would continue Penn State's values and traditions, pursuing success in a way that makes us all proud, while extending the great reputation we enjoy nationally."

At the end of last season, Florida State appointed offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher as the eventual successor to Bowden, 78. Earlier this year, Purdue announced that associate head coach Danny Hope would take over for Joe Tiller, 65, as coach after the 2008 season.

Paterno hasn't publicly endorsed his successor, but he said two weeks ago he would prefer it be one of his current assistant coaches.

"Whether that's in the cards, I don't know right now," he said. "It depends on when I get out of it. If I'm going to leave tomorrow, I would hope that it's in the cards, but I'm not planning on leaving tomorrow."

Spanier said he doesn't expect any further developments regarding Paterno's future in the coming months.

"I support our coaches and players as they turn their attention to preparation for the 2008 season and I look forward to an exciting fall of football," he said.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:51 PM   #128
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

Quote:
Pissed? No.

Annoyed? Sure.

hate to say it, but if they want to ever beat the Wolverines again... this is the year to do it.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #129
Lord Stiller
Banned

Quote:
That the Little 11 sucks.
only conference that is better is the SEC

what are you a Pitt fan lol
Old 04-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #130
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

jeremy u know damn well u would be pissed that ur prob ur best player and ur def cap was out 4 the yr... and don't wry i beleive that jerome hayes will step up in his place and take control of the def..
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote