Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-13-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Yankees will donate once-buried Red Sox jersey to Boston-area charity

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...=ESPNHeadlines

NEW YORK -- A construction worker's bid to curse the New York Yankees by planting a Boston Red Sox jersey in their new stadium was foiled Sunday when the home team removed the offending shirt from its burial spot.

After locating the shirt in a service corridor behind what will be a restaurant in the new Yankee Stadium, construction workers jackhammered through the concrete Sunday and pulled it out.

The team said it learned that a Sox-rooting construction worker had buried a shirt in the new Bronx stadium, which will open next year across the street from the current ballpark, from a report in the New York Post on Friday.

Yankees President Randy Levine said team officials at first considered leaving the shirt where it was.

"The first thought was, you know, it's never a good thing to be buried in cement when you're in New York," Levine said. "But then we decided, why reward somebody who had really bad motives and was trying to do a really bad thing?"

On Saturday, construction workers who remembered the employee, Gino Castignoli, phoned in tips about the shirt's location.

"We had anonymous people come tell us where it was, and we were able to find it," said Frank Gramarossa, a project executive with Turner Construction, the general contractor on the site.

It took about five hours of drilling Saturday to locate the shirt under 2 feet of concrete, he said.

A worker at the new Yankee Stadium pulls a David Ortiz jersey out of the concrete. A Red Sox fan had placed the jersey in the concrete beneath the stadium in the hopes of jinxing the Yankees.

On Sunday, Levine and Yankees CEO Lonn Trost watched as Gramarossa and foreman Rich Corrado finished the job and pulled the shirt from the rubble.

In shreds from the jackhammers, the shirt still bore the letters "Red Sox" on the front. It was a David Ortiz jersey, No. 34.

Trost said the Yankees had discussed possible criminal charges against Castignoli with the district attorney's office.

"We will take appropriate action since fortunately we do know the name of the individual," he said.

A woman who answered the phone at Castignoli's home in the Bronx on Sunday said he was not there.

A spokesman for Bronx District Attorney Robert Johnson said Sunday he did not know whether any criminal charges might apply.

Levine said the shirt would be cleaned up and sent to the Jimmy Fund, a charity affiliated with Boston's Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

"Hopefully the Jimmy Fund will auction it off and we'll take the act that was a very, very bad act and turn it into something beautiful," he said.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

I hate the Yankees.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150
Default Re: Yankees will donate once-buried Red Sox jersey to Boston-area charity

Aww man, to bad he got caught. I hate the Yankees and Red Sox but a story about a jersey from a rival team buried in the park would be amazing.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Jeremy
Banned

Default Re: Yankees will donate once-buried Red Sox jersey to Boston-area charity

I root hard for the meteor when those two teams play.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Like a jersey in concrete can actually affect the outcome of games... Cripes people are so gullible. *reaches for his tinfoil hat*
Old 04-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
Like a jersey in concrete can actually affect the outcome of games... Cripes people are so gullible. *reaches for his tinfoil hat*
I just think this story shows how much the Yankees think the world revolves around them.

I think most people outside of the New York area just look at this and think how sad the whole thing really is.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

I'm pretty much tired of Red Sox/Yankees. We have it shoved in our faces every year. It's what baseball has become really. How sad and ridiculous.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Wonder how much it cost NY taxpayers for the little 5-hour jackhammer excursion to tear up newly-laid concrete? If I were a taxpayer there, I'd be a bit pissed.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,312 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Man, everybody is down on my Yankees. They're donating the Jersey to charity. WTF? Personally, I think they should have left the jersey in place and installed a urinal on that spot.