Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-21-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default OK, Draft Gurus, Looking For Some Help...

I've seen a lot of stuff about Stewart's abilities, but can't seem to find out much about his blocking ability/picking up blitzes and the like. Anybody w/ insider info or a good source. I know he's a pretty complete back, but I'm curious if this is the hole in his game.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: OK, Draft Guru's, Looking FOr Some Help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I've seen a lot of stuff about Stewart's abilities, but can't seem to find out much about his blocking ability/picking up blitzes and the like. Anybody w/ insider info or a good source. I know he's a pretty complete back, but I'm curious if this is the hole in his game.
Quote:
Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon
5'11, 230, 4.50
Strengths: An overall finely tuned and powerful back. A prototypical downhill runner who can move the chains. Has good size, and can use it to get the extra yards. Low center of gravity and good balance. Doesn?t go down easily. Has good vision and footwork, and has good cutback ability. Can return kicks if needed. His size gives him the potential to be a workhorse in the NFL. His overall speed/size combo could help him translate into a great NFL Running back.

Weaknesses: Sometimes looks to run before the catch when receiving out of the backfield. His acceleration has been questioned. Could be a little faster, but his size should make up for the lack of speed. His blocking could improve, like most college backs. Also ran in a spread offense in college, so the transition could, but shouldn?t, be a problem.
http://thefootballexpert.com/jonatha...ile080001.html

Quote:
Strengths:
A great athlete...Has outstanding size and a thick build..Excellent speed and good quickness...Very strong...Runs hard and with great power..He attacks the line and gets upfield in a hurry...Patient runner with great vision...Nice balance and change of direction skills...Big play threat who can take it the distance...Has terrific hands and can catch the ball out of the backfield...Solid blocker...Tough...Doesn't have a lot of mileage on his tires...Hard worker with great intangibles...Also a return man.

Weaknesses:
Has battled a lot of minor injuries and durability is a concern...Doesn't have much wiggle and is not overly explosive...Did his damage in a spread offense...Does not always play up to his timed speed..Carried the load for just one season in college.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...anstewart.html

I find alot of mixed opinions on him....just more of the same of what you read above...but the general consensus is that he has been working on and will overcome any deficit in blocking
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Thanks! If he's there, I think he'd be a nice pick. It just depends on how the teams above us view guys like Felix Jones and Rashard Mendenhall compared to Stewart.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Thanks! If he's there, I think he'd be a nice pick. It just depends on how the teams above us view guys like Felix Jones and Rashard Mendenhall compared to Stewart.
It will depend on their scheme...he is the best big back in the draft...after him, you almost have to look at FB/HB hybrids.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
It will depend on their scheme...he is the best big back in the draft...after him, you almost have to look at FB/HB hybrids.
What do you mean?

We all know THOSE don't EVER work out !

Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Quote:
Another profile for you revefsreleets

http://www.lindyssports.com/content.php?id=2240

Quote:
JONATHAN STEWART, Oregon*

5-11, 235 40 time: 4.48 1st round

NFL Comparison: Ricky Williams, Dolphins

Inside: Very solid build. Had record-breaking strength numbers at Oregon. Attacks the line of scrimmage and can elude defenders in the hole. Runs with a blend of power and speed but is not elusive.

Outside: Has good run vision and shows patience when needed. Adequate field speed but 40 time isn't great. Might be encouraged to step out of bounds more and is almost too willing to take on punishment. Has breakaway ability if he gets a head of steam.

Breaking Tackles: Rarely goes down on initial contact. Not easy to bring down and was bigger than some linebackers and most defensive backs he faced at Oregon.

Receiving: Talented natural receiver with soft hands and the body control to adjust to throws outside the framework of his body.

Blocking: Stays low and can explode into blocks with good pop. Tough and willing to take on all comers.
Intangibles: Has the frame and desire to be the featured back in an NFL offense, but has limited experience as the full-time starter. Because of his contact-seeking style, he might need a shared role.

In Our View: Scouts don't make too much of Stewart's stopwatch speed. There are plenty of on-film examples of his breakaway ability and he's generally considered field fast. Stewart can return kickoffs and has the size, power and hands to be a complete back.

Grade: 8.3
Old 04-21-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: OK, Draft Gurus, Looking For Some Help...

Stewart is a very good player and I wouldn't be shocked if he ends being the best RB in this draft....I wouldn't throw a fit at all if he was picked at 23....I'm fine with Parker as the starting RB so I'm not crying for a RB in the first round...But anymore you need two RBs and Parker is recovering from a broken league...Would be nice to not over load Willie and ease him back in....

I'm a fan of drafting best available instead of need so if Stewart is the top player on the board at 23 then pull the trigger and draft him....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote