Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
steelymcmatt
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8255
Default Defense Wins Championships

I've been giving a lot of thought to what we're going to do with the # 23 pick. I've been in the majority thinking we're going O-line, but I'm starting to seriously reconsider. Think about this:

1. I'm not convinced our O-line is as bad as everyone thinks. After all, FWP was on pace to be the leading rusher in the NFL until he broke his leg. We gave up a lot of sacks last year, but it was less than the year before, and with a line that was together for the first time, with very little opportunity to gel in the preseason. With the addition of Hartwig allowing Mahan to move back to a position better suited to him, with Big Ben getting more used to more used to calling protections, and with the line having all pre-season to gel (NOTE TO TOMLIN: please avoid the musical chair front line we had last pre-season).

2. This draft is deep in O-lineman. We can probably pick up a quality player in the second if not third or fourth round.

3. We had the #2 defense last year, but our pressure came largely from our linebackers, not our defensive line. We can expect more of that this year with the emergence of Timmons and Woodley as every down players, but it would be nice to get more pressure with our front 3. A penetrating D-line would certainly help to erase the ills of our backfield.

4. Speaking of our backfield.....it was DECIMATED by injuries last year. Polomalu missed several games, Clark missed half the year etc. I'm not so sure that with them back healthy we need to panic when a quarterback drops back. Still a need to be addressed in rounds 2 or 3, but not round 1.

With all that being said, I believe we are going defensive line with our first pick, however I'm not convinced that's going to be at # 23. I could easily see us trading back to the end of the 1st with the 49ers, or even further back into the beginning of the 2nd with the Falcons.

What say you?
Old 04-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Re: Defense Wins Championships

Well matty, welcome to my world. I truly believe for us to compete with the brutal schedule we have next year, we must improve the defensive depth. Our defense was #1 last year, but we suffered quite a bit after we lost Clark on the back end, and Smith up front.

The pressure will pretty much always come from the LB's in the 3-4, but we need an upgrade at RDE. Keisel was much more productive when he backed up Kimo. We do need an upgrade in pass-rushing from the D-linemen when we line up with four down linemen in passing situations. I look for a DE and OLB to be brought in through the draft to help bolster the pass rush. The Giants proved you can never have enough bodies to rotate in and out of the front seven.

I know we need help on the O-line, but I too believe the line can play much better with the addition of Hartwig and moving Starks and Colon back to their natural positions. We set records on offense last season with poor O-line play, and the WRs currently on the roster. Big Ben will find a way to make plays and win, give him just a little more consistency from the O-line and another year for everyone in Arians system, this offense can be better as is.

Don't worry matty, it's probably just me and you who feel this way here in the forum. But, I have a feeling you and I will be happy come draft day. I predict defense on the first day. No matter what your absolutely right, DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
rdsovchen
Draft Prospect

Location: Settled in CLEVELAND OH of all places with wife and two girls.
Member Number: 8369

If they do decide to go defense, IMO it would have to be by way of trading down! At # 23 there is no defensive prospect on the board worthy of reaching for. Trading down would be a nice avenue to look into, obviously to aquire an extra pick in the second or third rds. Keep in mind everybody hypes up the top names on the boards all the way through draft day...but in many positions, this is a very deep draft class and trading down could benefit us greatly. The Steelers do have a fantastic scouting department and it would not surprise me at all if this is the route they take.

Although at # 23 I am an advocate for drafting Sterwart!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Stewart raises my couriosity quite a bit. I would love to see what he could do in our system. I love FWP, his value, his work ethic, his team mentality, his speed. Sometimes I wonder about his vision as a RB. Stewart has played in a one back spread offense, which Arians likes to run. He is also known as an 'inbetween the tackles RB'. Not to mention, he's big like someone else we knew and loved.

I still have faith that we could go into next season with the same offensive players and be successfull. Ben will always make plays, we need to be able to stop people. We need to be feared again on defense. We might have been ranked #1 on defense, but we did'nt scare any offense at the end of last season.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsovchen View Post
At # 23 there is no defensive prospect on the board worthy of reaching for.
i personally think that kenny phillips is worth a 23rd overall pick and if albert, stewart,otah,williams and talib are gone and it's between balmer, phillips and cherilus i'd have a tough time saying no to either but me personally i am leaning on phillips...
Old 04-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelymcmatt View Post
1. I'm not convinced our O-line is as bad as everyone thinks. After all, FWP was on pace to be the leading rusher in the NFL until he broke his leg. We gave up a lot of sacks last year, but it was less than the year before, and with a line that was together for the first time, with very little opportunity to gel in the preseason. With the addition of Hartwig allowing Mahan to move back to a position better suited to him, with Big Ben getting more used to more used to calling protections, and with the line having all pre-season to gel (NOTE TO TOMLIN: please avoid the musical chair front line we had last pre-season).

2. This draft is deep in O-lineman. We can probably pick up a quality player in the second if not third or fourth round.

3. We had the #2 defense last year, but our pressure came largely from our linebackers, not our defensive line. We can expect more of that this year with the emergence of Timmons and Woodley as every down players, but it would be nice to get more pressure with our front 3. A penetrating D-line would certainly help to erase the ills of our backfield.

4. Speaking of our backfield.....it was DECIMATED by injuries last year. Polomalu missed several games, Clark missed half the year etc. I'm not so sure that with them back healthy we need to panic when a quarterback drops back. Still a need to be addressed in rounds 2 or 3, but not round 1.

With all that being said, I believe we are going defensive line with our first pick, however I'm not convinced that's going to be at # 23. I could easily see us trading back to the end of the 1st with the 49ers, or even further back into the beginning of the 2nd with the Falcons.

What say you?
I agree almost completely. I think d-line is high on the priority list but aside from Balmer, I don't see any d-linemen worth a #23 pick. I like Groves but he's more of an edge rusher, not a 3-4 DE. Where would he play? I more expect to see Red Bryant, Dre Moore, Pat Sims, Jason Jones, or Ahtyba Rubin in rounds 2-3 or Langford or Hayden from Wisconsin in 4-5.
Give It To Abercrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #7
steelymcmatt
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Give It To Abercrombie View Post
I agree almost completely. I think d-line is high on the priority list but aside from Balmer, I don't see any d-linemen worth a #23 pick. I like Groves but he's more of an edge rusher, not a 3-4 DE. Where would he play? I more expect to see Red Bryant, Dre Moore, Pat Sims, Jason Jones, or Ahtyba Rubin in rounds 2-3 or Langford or Hayden from Wisconsin in 4-5.
I agree. My preference has been to trade out of #23 and get a second and a third, giving us two seconds and two thirds. However, if we stay at #23 I think we go with Balmer or Campbell.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Rhee Rhee, I am sorry but I have to say that I would chose Cherilous in that scenario. Phillips would not be a dissapointment for me though, we need a FS to team with Troy and I think that last year the Hurricanes Whole Team just had a down year.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #9
SteelFist
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelymcmatt View Post
I've been giving a lot of thought to what we're going to do with the # 23 pick. I've been in the majority thinking we're going O-line, but I'm starting to seriously reconsider. Think about this:

What say you?

I say you are absolutely.............................Correct ! I have to agree with you. And with the exception of Jonathan Stewart, I would like to see them go defense in the first round. I like Mike Jenkins, Jerod Mayo and Quentin Groves. All three of these guys will be playmakers at the next level.

"That guy across from me, he has to do one or two things, either raise his level of play or get his a-- kicked all day" - Greg Lloyd
SteelFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:55 AM   #10
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,164 Times in 1,344 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Talking deffense I saw a mock draft that had us taking mayo the linebacker out of tennessee.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote