Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-24-2008, 06:23 AM   #11
steelymcmatt
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8255
Default Re: Defense Wins Championships

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
Talking deffense I saw a mock draft that had us taking mayo the linebacker out of tennessee.
That would GREATLY suprise me, especially after drafting a LB in the 1st 2 rounds last year. Having said that, I wouldn't HATE the pick!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #12
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsovchen View Post
If they do decide to go defense, IMO it would have to be by way of trading down! At # 23 there is no defensive prospect on the board worthy of reaching for. Trading down would be a nice avenue to look into, obviously to aquire an extra pick in the second or third rds. Keep in mind everybody hypes up the top names on the boards all the way through draft day...but in many positions, this is a very deep draft class and trading down could benefit us greatly. The Steelers do have a fantastic scouting department and it would not surprise me at all if this is the route they take.

Although at # 23 I am an advocate for drafting Sterwart!
Like this post a lot.

I think a trade down will give ultimate value to address some obvious needs of both D and O. If I had 4 picks in rounds 2 & 3 I would take a DE, OLB, CB and OT. That would make me very happy considering the depth available at those positions.

Retooling both the O and D lines will take at least 3-5 years. Going into the 2007 season there was a need to start rebuilding the defence and Timmons and Woodley started that process. To continue that process this year we should be happy to see either DE, OLB or CB be taken in the first 3 rounds. The time for NT and FS will come soon.

The retooling of the O line unfortunately starts this year due to last few drafts. (Offensive skill players exist fortunately due to the last four drafts.) I think a minor commitment has been made to Max Starks that he can be the future LT. Apart from Kendalls RG spot I think all other positions will be rebuilt over the next 3 - 4 drafts. (And it must start with center in 2009)

Stockpiling some picks and lucky selections in rounds 4 - 7 over the next few years will see a dominant period for coach Tomlin ( much like Cowhers early years).

Just be thankful that the Steeler organisation has enough quality across the board to allow our rebuilding phases to still produce playoff calibre teams. Remember that most of the NFL franchises want to be just like the steelers and rebuilding through the draft is one of them.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #13
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,572 Times in 1,697 Posts

Aussie is right. Drafted O linemen dont improve a team overnight and there needs to be some improvement started this season. D-line is getting old, but is still good and probably a second priority.

I think a trade down for another pick is a good move, but if a solid O lineman like Cherilus or Otah is still there I think they will be the pick.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #14
steelymcmatt
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8255

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
Talking deffense I saw a mock draft that had us taking mayo the linebacker out of tennessee.
I heard Peter King on sirius NFL radio saying that also. Not sure I buy it.....I'm comfortable with our linebacking corp as it is. Having said that, I wouldn't be mad if it happened, which I know is all Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin care about (keeping me happy!). I've heard Mayo on sirius NFL a couple of times and have been very impressed by the kind of kid he is.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #15
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelymcmatt View Post
I heard Peter King on sirius NFL radio saying that also. Not sure I buy it.....I'm comfortable with our linebacking corp as it is. Having said that, I wouldn't be mad if it happened, which I know is all Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin care about (keeping me happy!). I've heard Mayo on sirius NFL a couple of times and have been very impressed by the kind of kid he is.
I thought the same way until I read one article that pointed out our LB depth and near future. Say Harrison sticks around and teams with Woodley at OLB for the next few years. Timmons slides inside and replaces Foote this year or next. Then Foote and Farrior are both probably gone. Who's left? This upcoming year sounds amazing with Woodley/Farrior/Foote/Harrison with Timmons in the wings. Whats that lineup look like in two years? I now fully expect a LB (in or out) in the early rounds, maybe even 1st or 2nd.
Give It To Abercrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #16
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

I still think we need to groom a LT for next year. Otherwise I believe we are in the fortunate postion of taking the best player available (save QB & TE). Just my opinion.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:11 AM   #17
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Give It To Abercrombie View Post
I thought the same way until I read one article that pointed out our LB depth and near future. Say Harrison sticks around and teams with Woodley at OLB for the next few years. Timmons slides inside and replaces Foote this year or next. Then Foote and Farrior are both probably gone. Who's left? This upcoming year sounds amazing with Woodley/Farrior/Foote/Harrison with Timmons in the wings. Whats that lineup look like in two years? I now fully expect a LB (in or out) in the early rounds, maybe even 1st or 2nd.
harrison is gonna be gone in 2-3 years... he's 29 and i think he signed a contract through 2010... i hope we dont try to retain him when he leaves and we find an adeqate replacement (maybe cliff avril?)... also mayo this year wouldn't be half bad as by 2010 we could have a LB corp similar to

avril/Timmons/Mayo/Woodley... that lineup would just be plain sick...(then again i highly doubt we use two straight picks on LBers yet again this year but a man can dream...)
Old 04-25-2008, 04:50 AM   #18
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,943 Times in 1,656 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
harrison is gonna be gone in 2-3 years... he's 29 and i think he signed a contract through 2010... i hope we dont try to retain him when he leaves and we find an adeqate replacement (maybe cliff avril?)... also mayo this year wouldn't be half bad as by 2010 we could have a LB corp similar to

avril/Timmons/Mayo/Woodley... that lineup would just be plain sick...(then again i highly doubt we use two straight picks on LBers yet again this year but a man can dream...)
Them four players right there would be a dream on the same team together.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:58 AM   #19
madsteelerfan51
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7844

that is a true statement
madsteelerfan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #20
Steelers43fan
Water Boy

Member Number: 6499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
i personally think that kenny phillips is worth a 23rd overall pick and if albert, stewart,otah,williams and talib are gone and it's between balmer, phillips and cherilus i'd have a tough time saying no to either but me personally i am leaning on phillips...
If Im picking a safety in the first round it's Terrell Johnson from Arkansas Stae, who by the way has moved past Phillips. Plus the guy can play corner leaving the possibility of moving Townsend to safety..al-la what we did With Rod Woodson.
Many people thinks Phiilips is living off past players at his position(at Miami Fla) and that he's nowhere near as good as those that came before him.
Steelers43fan is offline   Reply With Quote