Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 04-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #11
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206
Default Re: Steelers select Rashard Mendenhall with 23rd pick

Wooohooo

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
BettisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:49 PM   #12
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Mendenhall should have been gone WAY before 23. We got extremely lucky and should be more than thankful that he fell to us.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,402 Times in 1,158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
I think it was a good pick......Possibly the best running back in the draft?
Also.......there was not an OL worth a first round pick........Im sure we looked to trade down and tehre was no one willing
Yeah, I thought the pick would be Balmer after all the O linemen went, but I agree that Mendenhall is probably the best RB in the draft.

He is powerful and hits the hole well, then has a burst to get thru it. Kind of reminds me of Eggerin James. On the other hand McFadden reminds me of Reggie Bush lite.

I like the pick. He was the best athlete available. I would still like to see an O lineman drafted in round 2 or 3.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #14
steel-EERS
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2166

limas sweed and james hardy are still available, if that is what they want in rd two there should be a good one available
Old 04-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #15
Steeldude
Living Legend

will this pick be doing anything other than riding the bench for 3 to 4 years? will he then be lost via free agency after that tenure? does anyone think he will start ahead of parker any time soon? is this pick supposed to fill the need of a power running game? i think that has more to do with the steelers' O-line than the RB.

IMO, mendenhall's durability is unknown. he has played only one season as a starter.

i am not knocking the pick, but to me this makes more sense if parker's leg isn't healing well.

oh well, hopefully all works out well perhaps he will be another barry foster, but with a better head on his shoulders.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #16
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
I think it was a good pick......Possibly the best running back in the draft?
Also.......there was not an OL worth a first round pick........Im sure we looked to trade down and tehre was no one willing
Nice post and I agree....All the OL worth a damn were gone...Even the over-rated ones like Otah and Cherilus were gone.....Mendenhall was tremendous value at 23....Plus if Parker goes down again we finally have a quality replacement....Dookie didn't cut it and Moore isn't a starting RB if Parker did go down again...I liked the Moore signing but Mendenhall can catch out of the backfield also...I think Moore will just be a return man now and just serve as more RB depth...Would be shocked if Dookie makes the team now....

I can never fault the Steelers for taking best available and the Steelers did that with Mendenhall...
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #17
Steel Buckeye
Banned

Member Number: 8276

I was hoping for James Hardy in round 2, sadly he was taken by the Bills. There are still some good linemen available in later rounds so I'm hoping for the best.
Steel Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #18
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
Dookie didn't cut it and Moore isn't a starting RB if Parker did go down again...I liked the Moore signing but Mendenhall can catch out of the backfield also...I think Moore will just be a return man now and just serve as more RB depth...Would be shocked if Dookie makes the team now..
russell is ahead of moore on the depth chart. mendenhall will make the team purely based on his selection in the draft if nothing else. that leaves russell, davenport, moore and carey to fight it out.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #19
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I, too was quite surprised by the pick, but this kid has lots of talent and oodles of potential in the NFL, and as was mentioned above, is a steal.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #20
rdsovchen
Draft Prospect

Location: Settled in CLEVELAND OH of all places with wife and two girls.
Member Number: 8369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
will this pick be doing anything other than riding the bench for 3 to 4 years? will he then be lost via free agency after that tenure? does anyone think he will start ahead of parker any time soon? is this pick supposed to fill the need of a power running game? i think that has more to do with the steelers' O-line than the RB.

IMO, mendenhall's durability is unknown. he has played only one season as a starter.

i am not knocking the pick, but to me this makes more sense if parker's leg isn't healing well.

oh well, hopefully all works out well perhaps he will be another barry foster, but with a better head on his shoulders.
All of the latest interviews with Steeler brass have them looking at more of the 2 back tandom system which tells me Mendenhall will be ready to spell Willie come official game time. What a pairing...Fast Willie and a POUNDER in Mendenhall that has his own burst of speed...No more third and coming up short when its on the line....It's ball control time.