Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
brsteelers
Water Boy

Member Number: 2625
Default O-Line and the draft

We certainly did very well in terms of athletes in the draft. But what does everyone think of the offensive lineman we did pick up (or decision to not take one early on)? Here's an article on Hills.

Source: http://www.realfootball365.com/index...steelers/11118
brsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: O-Line and the draft

My guess is that a guy who played TE is athletic enough to play LT...at least ostensibly. We'll see. One of my favorite things to do in preseason games is just zone in on one player and watch him over the course of 20-25 plays. Hills will definitely be one I watch.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,821 Times in 915 Posts

Other TE's that switched at some point to OT include Trai Essex, Robert Gallery, Jason Peters.

I think Hills is a good prospect that has played LT in his career at Texas, which hopefully will translate into him playing LT in the NFL after 2 or 3 seasons playing at RT first.

Not one of the big names a lot around here hoped for, but still a solid pick.....if he can stay healthy like the article says.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Other TE's that switched at some point to OT include Trai Essex, Robert Gallery, Jason Peters.

I think Hills is a good prospect that has played LT in his career at Texas, which hopefully will translate into him playing LT in the NFL after 2 or 3 seasons playing at RT first.

Not one of the big names a lot around here hoped for, but still a solid pick.....if he can stay healthy like the article says.
I was concerned about the history of his leg/knee/foot....but the more that I read on Tony Hill, the more it seems that:
A) Had it not been for concerns about those injuries, Hill would have gone in the 1st or 2nd round.
B) The injury seems to be healed and/or fixed.

I have read two pre-draft articles that said Hill could be a first day talent that becomes a mid-round steal for the team that is willing to take a chance.

Being a complete Homer and an optimist...I'm gonna hang my hat on that until proven wrong.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I was concerned about the history of his leg/knee/foot....but the more that I read on Tony Hill, the more it seems that:
A) Had it not been for concerns about those injuries, Hill would have gone in the 1st or 2nd round.
B) The injury seems to be healed and/or fixed.

I have read two pre-draft articles that said Hill could be a first day talent that becomes a mid-round steal for the team that is willing to take a chance.

Being a complete Homer and an optimist...I'm gonna hang my hat on that until proven wrong.
i said in another thread that gil brandt loves this kid. the monday following the draft pat kirwan and tim ryan stated how they thought it was a great selection. pat seemed convinced we have our future LT.

while many of us were left scratching our heads, they were applauding the steelers selections on their live radio broadcast. (hearing the soundbite of tomlin saying how the war room erupted when mendenhall fell to them was pretty cool too).

i swear, i am never watching the draft with the tv sound on again. the sirius broadcast is so much more informed and without all the fluff. they actually know and talk about the picks as opposed to spending 3 hours on the cowboys wr situation and how pac man jones will not affect their draft.

i cant remember espn or nfl network saying too much about hills other than he was a TE convert who was "injury prone" in HS and college. thanks for the 411 turds.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,821 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i said in another thread that gil brandt loves this kid. the monday following the draft pat kirwan and tim ryan stated how they thought it was a great selection. pat seemed convinced we have our future LT.
I'm hoping that Hills can be the LT of the future too, which now begs the question.....who do you offer a contract to be the LT for NOW until Hills is ready(in 2-3 years)?? Starks or Smith??
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
I'm hoping that Hills can be the LT of the future too, which now begs the question.....who do you offer a contract to be the LT for NOW until Hills is ready(in 2-3 years)?? Starks or Smith??
Wow...great guestion. I think it might be impossible to answer right now and we may have to wait to see how Smith's back and Stark's ability pan out this season.

(...or draft Oher and say buh-bye to both..LOL)
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Wow...great guestion. I think it might be impossible to answer right now and we may have to wait to see how Smith's back and Stark's ability pan out this season.

(...or draft Oher and say buh-bye to both..LOL)
Would love Oher, or Andre Smith, but can't see them being available unless we total fall apart next year.

Thats one reason I am going to watch Loadholt, Boone, and Black closely when the collage season starts.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Still some other names of converted TE's:
Joe Thomas
Doug Dieken
Rayfield Wright (HOF)
Old 05-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,997 Posts

i was really taken aback with the panic and almost disdain from some steelerfans over how the 1st 2 rounds of our draft went, and the lack of drafting a lineman.

some totally forgot about hills and suggested we neglected the position altogether.

well the giants just gave dave diehl and extension for 6 years and $31 million which i hope establishes a ceiling for a potential extension with marvel smith. what is funny is that if the steelers drafted a lineman in the 5th round, they wouldve flung feces at their computer or tv screens.

Quote:
Originally a 5th round (160th pick overall) draft choice by the Giants in 2003.

NFL: Tough, athletic, and versatile offensive lineman has started all 49 regular season and postseason games since he joined the Giants as a 5th-round draft choice in 2003. He is the first Giant since the introduction of the 16-game schedule in 1978 to start all 48 regular season games in his first 3 seasons…Diehl has played right guard, right tackle and left guard in his 3 years with the team…He is one of just four players from the 2003 draft class to start every game in the last three seasons. The others are Carolina tackle Jordan Gross, Jacksonville safety Rashean Mathis and Dallas cornerback Terence Newman…Diehl started 16 games at right guard as a rookie, 16 at right tackle last season and 15 games at left guard and 1 game at right tackle in 2005.