Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-09-2005, 01:19 AM   #51
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Bill Cowher should be fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley Nate
Actually, BRC and ICH, I made the sig. I made it for my signature at cincybengals.com to hype up the smack for the week (intentionally causing level of stomach discomfort to look at the sig). I didn't realize that it was being used for bets. CheatinassBen owes me big time.

The guy with the long hair was a good find!

Doh ! my apologies Nate.. I'd say its a nice job, but it really isnt
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:30 AM   #52
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

In response to steelerfan, I have a rebuttal for all your points (I'm not gonna quote the whole post).

A) Ravens game. We threw the ball 36 times because that's what they were giving us. The Rats have a tough run D, and they were stuffing their entire Defense in the box. Throwing actually gave us the best chance to win, even with an awful, noodle-armed Maddox, and we almost did win, even with the worst QB in the NFL.
B) Colts game. Cowher called an interesting play (OS kick), and it was based on something that showed up on film. Bottom line, if we execute that play, he looks brilliant, but it was a lousy kick. I will say he should have just run the clock out at the end of the 1st half. 13-7 on the road against the Colts is an okay 1st half.
C) Cincy game. We were fairly balanced until Willie started fumbling, especially in the 2nd half. Hell, he was ripping of runs of 6-7-8 yards a pop. Once we got down, we had to pass, and it made the stats look lopsided. Cowher didn't make Willie/Ward fumble, and he didn't make Ben throw INT's.
D) Last year our Oline was better, so we were able to control the LOS. This year, we've had to adjust, which is what we've done. Again, in the 2nd half of the Cincy game, before TO's forced us to pass, we were starting to control the LOS, and Willie was starting to take control of the game, which leads to...
E) Willie runs for speed and power. Give him last years line, and I bet he's sitting at 1200 yards right now.
F) As has been widely reported, Staley hasn't been right all year, and the Steelers knew he wasn't going to be 100% at any point this year. They have done a good job of shuffling him and Bettis in and out without risking them too much.

This is the old "When the team wins it's the players, when the team loses it's the coach". With a healthy Ben, and a little better execution, we would be at least 9-3 right now, and it still wouldn't matter, people would be calling for Cowher's head.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:08 AM   #53
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

As an extension of this, here's the map to beat the Colts. This is looks remarkably like what the Steelers tried to do, but failed to execute when it counted. #5 in particular is poignant.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9082783

5. Stay close.

Sure, the Colts are explosive, but try to keep them within reach. Pittsburgh withstood a furious first-quarter charge last month but imploded when a game-tying field goal went astray. Then the Steelers got stupid, trying to throw late in the second quarter when they should have been satisfied taking a 13-7 deficit to intermission and gambling on an onside kick to open the second half. It not only failed, it led to a game-clinching touchdown. "You can't afford to get down by more than 10 to these guys," said one coordinator, "because then they just turn those ends loose." The results speak for themselves: Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis have 20 sacks between them, and the Colts outscore opponents 187-71 in the second half. "You can beat these guys," said one assistant, "but an awful lot of things must go right."

Last edited by Suitanim; 12-09-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:57 PM   #54
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Cowher stays, Bengals finally have a good team, now they are all geniuses! Wow
Old 12-09-2005, 04:25 PM   #55
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

The Bengals Fall Back To The Pit Next Year. They Will Not Be Consitent with having winning Years.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #56
Go_Cats
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalukiSteelers
I just kind of take it personally when fans of other teams try to tell the Steelers what to do with their franchise.

Look, if I hurt your feelings I'm real sorry. Just imagine me coming on to a Bengals site after a special teams- and turnover-plagued loss to a division rival that did some serious damage to your team's playoff hopes and calling for the dismissal of the head coach who's earned one of the best records in the NFL while he's been at the helm.

Is Cowher perfect? No. Would I quit rooting for the Steelers if they canned him? No, I wouldn't but I would be a little irritated. Who says the guy can't win? You?!? Again, I will ask you too see how Marvin Lewis does for a few years and then get back to me. Until then, worry about your own team. We've got ours covered.
I see where your coming from
Old 12-10-2005, 03:08 AM   #57
Steelersfan

Member Number:

In repsonse to Suitanim,

I watched all three games (not saying you didn't) and I didn't see where we tried to run the ball with any determination (my opinion only) in any of those games even though that is what gave us the best chance to win.

I know the Ravens were stacking the line. All the more reason to use the bus and not Willie.
In the Bengals game we should have ran all over them like the first game. We were never down more than 1 score until late in the game so we had plenty of time to "WILL" our running game on them and control the game. But we didn't. Ben was throwing from the start and right till the end.

The Indy game was just terrible. Ya, we stayed close. But like I said, it seemed another of those games Cowher just played not to get blown out instead of playing to win.

Anyways, you made some good points Suitanim, I just don't agree with how we handled the play calling the past three games. Maybe it's the OC's fault but I still blame Cowher. He is the head coach and should know what is being called for a play and be able to change it when he thinks he needs to.

I would really like to know what is wrong with Staley. I have seen nothing on him. And what is wrong with Bettis? Why are we not using these two more?

And this has nothing to do with players win but the coach loses. I think a coach picks his team to play the way HE wants so the players only win if he calls the game to those same players strengths. We are a running team. We went 15-1 as a running team last year. How many times have we been down this year that would cause us to pass (even with Maddox in) as much as we have the past few games? I can only think of the second half of the Colts game. Every other game we had plenty of chances to get the run going and controlling the game.

So on a final note, does it seem like our D has a hard time getting pressure on QB's now? I think the D has played decent this year but when we don't pressure the QB we give up a lot of big plays and 3rd down's.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:59 AM   #58
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Yesterday's game was a great example of good players executing a good gameplan. The offensive plan was brilliant, using misdirection early to nuetralize the Bears defensive speed and keeping them honest, then carving up the huge running lanes later in the game. Here are some stats that are pretty impressive (From my buddy Jason)

we've given up an average of just over 2 sacks per game...
Chicago is the #4 D in getting sacks...

We allowed zero...

Chicago gives up an average of just under 2 sacks per game...
We're #7 in getting sacks...we got 3...

Chicago is #7 against the run...
We are #10 in rushing offense...

We ran for 190 yards and averaged 4.13 yards per rush...
Old 12-12-2005, 04:00 PM   #59
SalukiSteelers
Starter

Location: Live in Carbondale, IL, USA, home of the SIU Salukis.
Member Number: 844

Well, everybody knows that when teams it's on the players and when teams lose it's on the coaches. That's just part of the bargain and Cowher's been dealing with it forever and I can't remember him ever really snapping and going off on somebody. Or gloating too much after a win. Fire Cowher? Fire yourself!
SalukiSteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:02 AM   #60
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Two wins in a row. Ben still isnt healthy. But we are getting healthy in other positions. Townsend was back this week and came up with a big int. in the endzone.

Cowher on to the Superbowl!