Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-20-2005, 11:29 AM   #11
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default Re: PSU 2006 Recruiting Class

Odrick picks Penn State

Jared Odrick (4 stars)
Lebanon, PA

Position: DT
Height: 6-foot-5
Weight: 303 pounds
40-yard dash: 5.03 seconds
Bench max: 290 pounds
Bench reps: 18
Squat max: 530 pounds
Vertical leap: 25 inches
Shuttle time: 4.38 seconds
GPA: 2.9

This is a big time recruit... he might be the best commit this year if LeSean McCoy does not choose Penn State. Odrick is a monster!!! He can play offensive tackle almost as good as defensive tackle. He was told he will get 20 to 30 plays a game as a true freshman, and he will be stuffing the run and sacking QB's in the Big Ten for years. Rivals has him as the 3rd best DT in the nation, and the 29th best player overall. I wish you guys could see the video on him... it doesn't look like anyone can block this guy.

Strengths: Athleticism, Foot Quickness, Size

He has uncanny athleticism for a big man, which is a reason why he may end up on the defensive line at the next level. He has the ability to rush up the middle, or around the end. Very smooth for a big man, he even played a little tight end in high school.

Odrick: "I move real quick laterally on defense and I'm a unique pass rusher because I'm a lot quicker than guys on the offensive line and I'm stronger than most guys on defense. I've also got good feet for my size.

Biography:

SR stats: Has been credited with 70 tackles (40 solo), 10 tackles for a loss, 19 quarterback hurries, five sacks, five fumble recoveries and three blocked kicks this season.

JR stats: (2-8) stats: 80+ tackles/7.5 sacks and 18 tackles for loss; 60+ pancake blocks

The turning point in the recruiting process for Odrick came when he took an unofficial visit to Happy Valley for the Penn State-Ohio State game. When the Lions defeated the top 10 squad, he knew that Penn State was a contender instead of a pretender.

"It felt like home and it was a great atmosphere," said Odrick of Penn State.

The 6-foot-6, 285-pounder told BWI that Penn State's coaching staff would like him to check in at 280 pounds in the summer, but Odrick has set his own goal of 275 pounds for June.

The reason Odrick wants to come in such great shape is that he expects to see plenty of action next fall along the defensive line.

Odrick received phone calls from fellow Penn State recruits Aaron Maybin and Tom McEowen following his press conference. Like his peers, Odrick was happy to finally make his decision.

"It's definitely a relief, and I feel good about my decision," Odrick said. "I finally got the weight off of my shoulders."

Jared Odrick's other schools if interest were Florida, Georgia, and Virginia.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:12 PM   #12
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Joe Doin Great with bringing recruits keep it up. I see Back To Back Big Ten Championships coming to Penn State.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:37 PM   #13
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

McKeesport's McBride headed to PSU

Travis McBride (3 stars)
McKeesport, PA

Position: S
Height: 6-foot-1
Weight: 195 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.5 seconds
Vertical leap: 33 inches
SAT: 1010

McBride played runningback and linebacker in high school, but was recruited as a safety by Penn State. Even though we graduated all four of our starting defensive backs I don't expect to see Mcbride on the field to much early on in his career, but I think he will be one of the two starting safeties at some point.
Strengths: Quickness, Instincts, Build

"The best things in my favor on the field are my vision, speed and shiftiness. I've got good control of my body and I find holes well on offense. I think those things would help make me a good defensive back too."

Biography:

As a sophomore he ran for 703 yards. As a junior, he carried the ball 110 times for 1,117 yards (10.1 YPC) and 19 touchdowns, earning first team All-Conference honors and a selection to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 's South All-Star squad.
This season, playing on both sides of the ball at both running back and defensive back, McBride led his Tiger squad to a 7-2 regular season record. McKeesport rolled over teams in the playoffs, outscoring them 202-65, on their way to championship game against Bethlehem Liberty.

This year he ended up with 1,607 yards on the ground and 23 touchdowns on 149 carries... an average of nearly 11 yards per carry. McBride finished with 3,458 career yards.

Despite his success on offense, it's his speed and instincts on defense which has had many programs eyeing him at the next level.

McBride was visited by Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley in late November. As one PSU observer said, "His build and speed are impressive. The coaches like his instincts which seems to have them thinking safety."

According to McBride, "I'm a very good blocker and I've got good vision and a good feel for the game." He has been working on his speed and size this season to compete at the next level. A level which will have him wearing blue and white in years to come.

McBride called McKeesport coach George Smith, who was sick at home, to inform him of the decision.

"I said, 'Are you sure?'" Smith said. "He said, 'Coach I want to go to Penn State.'"

"They can play him anywhere on the field," Smith said. "He can play corner, linebacker or running back, if they need one. You want somebody who can run, who can hit. He's very athletic. Plus, he's going to be big. He's young right now. He's got a long way to go growth-wise."

Last edited by BB2W; 12-21-2005 at 02:23 PM.
BB2W is offline   Reply With Quote