Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 05-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #21
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: Paterno backs college playoff system, calls excuses for absence 'bogus'

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlsteelers View Post
I am not an auburn fan but if you want to compare schedules here is USC's from 2004
2004 Football Schedule and Results
DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME RECORD/TICKETS
August 28 at Virginia Tech W 24-13 1-0 (0-0)
September 11 Colorado State W 49-0 2-0 (0-0)
September 18 at Brigham Young W 42-10 3-0 (0-0)
September 25 at Stanford W 31-28 4-0 (1-0)
October 9 No. 7 California W 23-17 5-0 (2-0)
October 16 No. 19 Arizona State W 45-7 6-0 (3-0)
October 23 Washington W 38-0 7-0 (4-0)
October 30 at Washington State W 42-12 8-0 (5-0)
November 6 at Oregon State W 28-20 9-0 (6-0)
November 13 Arizona W 49-9 10-0 (7-0)
November 27 Notre Dame W 41-10 11-0 (7-0)
December 4 at UCLA W 29-24 12-0 (8-0)
January 4 vs No. 3 Oklahoma W 55-19 13-0 (8-0)

here is auburn's schedule from the same season

September 4 Louisiana-Monroe W 31-0 1-0 (0-0)
September 11 at Mississippi State W 43-14 2-0 (1-0)
September 18 No. 4 LSU W 10-9 3-0 (2-0)
September 25 Citadel W 33-3 4-0 (2-0)
October 2 at No. 8 Tennessee W 34-10 5-0 (3-0)
October 9 Louisiana Tech W 52-7 6-0 (3-0)
October 16 Arkansas W 38-20 7-0 (4-0)
October 23 Kentucky W 42-10 8-0 (5-0)
October 30 at Mississippi W 35-14 9-0 (6-0)
November 13 No. 5 Georgia W 24-6 10-0 (7-0)
November 20 at Alabama W 21-13 11-0 (8-0)
December 4 at No. 15 Tennessee W 38-28 12-0 (8-0)
January 3 vs No. 10 Virginia Tech W 16-13 13-0 (8-0)
What I see is USC Traveling across the Nation week 1 to play at one of the toughest places in College Football to play and winning. I then see them playing 2 teams that are traditional rivals for them and winning, not padding their schedule with cupcakes in a hope of running the table in their conference to go undefeated.

And I HATE USC.

But I don't like cry babies either. If Auburn would have played 1 or 2 BCS Conference teams instead of the patsies (CITADEL!!!!) they played, I'd be right there with you, throw in a Clemson, or a West Virginia, or even a Texas A&M and I'd give them credit, instead, they padded the schedule and ran the table in the SEC. Which, Georgia is a let down every single year, Tennessee is a joke, every year they Choke a big game, every single year but one, 1998 and in that one, they almost lost to Syracuse in what is still one of my favorite games that I've ever seen. So the SEC does cannibilize itself, sure, they are tough, but Miss State and Ole Miss haven't been viable in years. And Vandy? Come on, what a dog they are. So you get up for the Bama game, but you still played a joke of a team in Kentucky, a Houston Nutt coached Arkansas team, joke, and struggled against the same team USC beat week 1 and you got to play them on a nuetral field.

Give the big 10 a hard time, heck I hate PSU more than I hate anything else on the planet and wish them 0 win seasons for the rest of time, but I won't have any of this Auburn got robbed stuff. Not without debate. And I'm throwing out facts. Fact, The Auburn Schedule did NOT Warrant them jumping over the other 2 undefeated teams of the 04 NCAA Football season. Sorry but that's a fact.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #22
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Paterno backs college playoff system, calls excuses for absence 'bogus'

The facts are, if you want REAL respect as a top program, REGARDLESS of what conference you play in, you need to schedule at least one perennial powerhouse school OOC a year, and you NEED TO TRAVEL!!!!!!!

The SEC schools play all their games within a few hundred miles of their schools, and avoid northern schools like the plague. I absolutely guarantee you part of the reason OSU is 0-9 against SEC schools is that they ONLY play them in the Southeast, since no SEC school is going to travel to the Shoe, and they only play the SEC in bowl games, and they are usually the underdog. Plus, OSU has zero interest in a Vanderbilt/Buckeye match-up, they want Bama or Florida or Tennessee, and those schools won't agree to a home/away series with the Bucks.

Sad but very, very true...
Old 06-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #23
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

I think that Tennesee and OSU are in discussion about a home and away game.

We do play out conference games, we (uga) are going to play a top 10 Arizona State at Arizona State.

However, the biggest reason the Top SEC schools do not travel north to OSU or michigan is because we get all of the competition we need in our own conference. Once you throw in the confernce championship game its brutal. I am a georgia fan look at our schedule for 08. we have two cupcakes to start the season. Georgia southern is like playing youngstown state. but then we get cooking playing at South Carolina, going to Arizona State, then Alabama at home, then Tennesee at home, at Vanderbilt (but dam they have played us really tough the past two seasons, beating us once), then to LSU (you guys at OSU have heard of them - we play might get stuck playing them at night at home when the are pratically unbeatable), the very next week we play Florida, then we go to kentucky, then we go Auburn, then wrap it up with Gatech. IF we win our division we looking at a rematch with either alabama, auburn, or LSU.

So where do we schedule that OSU game. As of right now based on the preason top 25 - 50% of our games are agianst top 25 teams - We play 3 teams in the top 10 Florida, LSU, and Arizona State.

Sat, Aug 30 Georgia Southern Athens, Ga. TBA
Sat, Sep 06 Central Michigan Athens, Ga. TBA
Sat, Sep 13 South Carolina * at Columbia, S.C. 3:30 p.m.
Sat, Sep 20 Arizona State at Tempe, Ariz. 8:00 p.m. ABC
Sat, Sep 27 Alabama * Athens, Ga TBA
Sat, Oct 11 Tennessee * Athens, Ga. TBA
Sat, Oct 18 Vanderbilt - Homecoming * Athens, Ga. TBA
Sat, Oct 25 LSU * at Baton Rouge, La. TBA
Sat, Nov 01 Florida * at Jacksonville, Fla. TBA
Sat, Nov 08 Kentucky * at Lexington, Ky. TBA
Sat, Nov 15 Auburn * at Auburn, Ala. TBA
Sat, Nov 29 Georgia Tech Athens, Ga. TBA

what is sad is how the Big Ten is afraid of a college football playoff. heck they do not even have a conference championship game because the winner of the Big 10 is deecided when michigan and ohio state play.

The last two BCS title games cleary demostrated what happens when the two best teams from the SEC and big ten play each other. We simply kick their butts. You guys are starting to sound like browns fans (just kidding).
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #24
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

[QUOTE=I absolutely guarantee you part of the reason OSU is 0-9 against SEC schools is that they ONLY play them in the Southeast, since no SEC school is going to travel to the Shoe, and they only play the SEC in bowl games, and they are usually the underdog. QUOTE]

Actually when OSU played florida and got demolished the gators we getting 7.5 points.

Florida Gators vs Ohio State Buckeyes 01-08-07
Posted by Rigs
Rigs Profile »

BCS Championship Picks: Florida Gators vs Ohio State Buckeyes

So this is it. This is what it has come down to. After hundreds of games – backdoor covers, blowouts, upsets, overtimes, turnovers, comebacks and John L. Smith – we’ve finally reached the apex of the college football season, the BCS National Championship.

Florida (12-1) will meet Ohio State (12-0) at 8 p.m. on Monday at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona, to decide which team will be crowned the King of College Ball. The Buckeyes have gone wire-to-wire as the No. 1 team in the country and opened as a 7.5-point favorite. The line has fluctuated at a few online books, but for the most part it has held firm. It also is available at -7 or -8 at certain shops.

This season the Buckeyes went 9-3 against the spread, and at one point had covered in 12 consecutive games dating back to the 2005-06 season. That’s quite impressive considering that Ohio State was shackled with some monster numbers during that span while holding a very public position in the gambling world.

Florida certainly is a flashy squad. Their speed, on both sides of the ball, is superior to anyone they match up against and is greater than anything that the Buckeyes have faced this year. Urban Meyer is an offensive mastermind, and with over a month to plan for this game he will most likely have an intricate combination of offensive formations perfected for this game. Florida can put pressure on a defense in a variety of ways and they can hang a big number on the board if this turns into a shootout.

If there is a weakness for OSU it could be that their defense – though they performed incredibly this season – is still a bit inexperienced. Florida’s defense is the Forgotten Man in this title tilt. They yielded only two touchdowns per game and are always flying around the ball looking to create momentum-changing turnovers.

The Gators do have holes, though. They were one of the most penalized teams in the country, and if they don’t play disciplined on Monday they don’t stand a chance. Also, kicker Chris Hetland is an accident waiting to happen. He’s an atrocious 1-for-10 on field goals of over 30 yards this season and Meyer has already said that his ineptitude may alter how he calls his game.

On the flip side, Ohio State certainly has the look of a champion. They have played in some huge games over the past two years – most notably against Texas last year and against Michigan this season. They have the requisite playmakers and one of college football’s best Big Game coaches in Jim Tressel. And most importantly, the Buckeyes will have a member of the Legion of Doom in their corner.

The Gators deserve to be on the field with the Buckeyes, no matter what the general betting public thinks. The SEC is no joke and the Gators were the clear-cut top team in the nation’s top conference. Last year I predicted that Texas would beat USC. While I don’t have nearly the same level of confidence in this season’s Florida club, I do think that this game will be more competitive than folks believe. However, beating Ohio State truly would be a monumental feat.

The Florida Gators will challenge the Ohio State Buckeyes for the national title on January 8 when the two teams meet at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale for the BCS Championship Game.

Oddsmakers currently have the Buckeyes listed as 7½-point favorites versus the Gators, while the game’s total is sitting at 46.

Florida Gators +7.5 (-115) / +235 / 46 (-110) Over

Ohio St. Buckeyes -7.5 (-105) / -275 / 46 (-110) Under
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #25
revefsreleets
Living Legend

That's one game. One game. And there was a whole huge post about it. What about the other 8?

And playing ASU in Arizona once is cute. The Buckeyes have tough home/away OOS games scheduled every year for the next 12 years, and have for the last 8 or so.

I also don't think the Buckeye's are "afraid" of anything. Why schedule all these tough OOC games if they are afraid. That's called "projection".

The biggest hole in your argument about the SEC being "tough enough", is what happens when it's not? This is all cyclical, and the SEC is, in fact, almost certainly headed for a downturn soon. See: Auburn. If they had scheduled even one tough OOC game that year, they'd have been a lock for the NC game.

And what happens if the Big Ten suddenly has a major resurgence? What if OSU's SOS suddenly jumps up to a top 10 level? Do you think they'll say "Well, we're gonna cancel all our OOC games because our schedule is tough enough"?
Old 06-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #26
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post

But I don't like cry babies either. If Auburn would have played 1 or 2 BCS Conference teams instead of the patsies (CITADEL!!!!) they played, I'd be right there with you,
In fairness, they got shafted by an opponent (can't remember who) chickening out of the game at the last moment and forcing them to take whatever replacement was available. And I hate the warchickens with a passion.

JoePa wants a playoff because Penn State has been screwed more often than Britney Spears. And under the current system, the rules aren't consistent--which has always managed to work against Penn State.

I have a playoff system written up on my other computer. I would take the eleven conference champs plus one wild card. Top four teams get byes.

All bowls still exist--the Rose could take the Big Ten and Pac-1 runners up and still have both their tradition and an attractive matchup. The Sugar gets the SEC runner up, the Fiesta gets the Big XII runner up, etc. The major bowls would do a double hosting, ie the Rose gets the championship game and the Sugar and Cotton get the semifinals, and it rotates year to year. Just like one BCS bowl also hosts the BCSCG now.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #27
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

OK, found it. I used the standings from the actual BCS for this instead of my own ranking system (which would have had Mizzou as the wild card and shuffled the conference champions around a bit, but that's not important. Point is how awesome a playoff would be).

1) Ohio State (Big Ten Champ)
2) LSU (SEC Champ)
3) Virginia Tech (ACC Champ)
4) Oklahoma (Big XII Champ)
5) Georgia (Wild Card)
6) Southern Cal (PAC-1 Champ)
7) West Virginia (Big East Champ)
8) Hawaii (WAC Champ)
9) BYU (MWC Champ)
10) Central Florida (CUSA Champ)
11) Florida Atlantic (Sun Belt Champ)
12) Central Michigan (MAC Champ)

Round 1 (December 15)
(hosted by higher seed)

Central Michigan at Georgia
Florida Atlantic at Southern Cal
Central Florida at West Virginia
BYU at Hawaii

Quarterfinals (December 29)
(hosted by Fiesta, Cotton, Peach & Citrus Bowls under dual-hosting system similar to current BCSCG)
(Teams re-seeded)

8 vs. Ohio State
7 vs. LSU
6 vs. Virginia Tech
5 vs. Oklahoma

Semifinals (January 12)
(hosted by Orange & Rose Bowls)

8/1 winner vs. 5/4 winner
7/2 winner vs. 6/3 winner

Championship Game (January 26)
(hosted by Sugar Bowl)

New Year's Bowl games (BCS Bowls)
1) Maximum two teams from same conference
2) All non-playoff teams in the top ten automatically qualify unless it would break rule #1, in which case the lowest team is out.
3) The highest non-playoff team from each B(C)S conference
4) Any coalition member ranked higher than a <strike>B(C)S member</strike> team qualifying under rule #3 qualifies for an automatic at large bid.
5) If rules 1-4 result in more than nine autobids, the lowest team is eliminated even if it's the only qualifier from a <strike>NB</strike> BCS conference.
6) Pairings are based on traditional tie ins.
7) Conference rivals cannot meet.
8) At-large teams are selected by bowls on a rotating basis. Team with national championship game gets last pick.
9) If there aren't enough automatic teams the bowls can select any team with an at large, but no 9-win team may be selected if a 10-win team is available.
10) A team must have 9 wins.

Automatic Qualifiers: Mizzou (Big XII runner-up), Kansas (top ten/at-large), Arizona State (PAC-10 runner-up), Florida (SEC runner-up), Illinois (Big Ten runner-up), BC (ACC runner-up), Boise State (10 wins)--total 7. ASU and Illinois to Rose Bowl, Mizzou to Fiesta (tie in based on higer ranking than Kansas), BC to Orange, Florida to Sugar. Fiesta selects Boise State because of excitement generated by 2006 trip. Orange selects Kansas due to Big Eight history. With its options open, Sugar selects Texas because its large fan base will travel well and the matchup will generate good TV ratings. It has nothing to do with me controlling the scenario and sticking it to Tommy Bowden. No, really, I would never do such a thing, I swear!

Rose Bowl: Arizona State vs. Illinois
Fiesta Bowl: Missouri vs. Boise State
Orange Bowl: Boston College vs. Kansas
Sugar Bowl: Florida vs. Texas

The second tier of bowls includes the Peach, the Cotton, the Citrus, and the Gator (my scenario, so no idiotic corporate names). At least seven different conferences must be represented, and teams must have at least 8 wins (unless there aren't enough teams). The 8-win rule takes precedence over conference representation. Bowls pick 1/8, 7/2, 6/3, or 4/5 on a rotating basis. Peach gets first pick this year. Noparticular reason.

Peach: Clemson vs. Air Force
Cotton: Tennessee vs. Texas Tech
Citrus: Wisconsin vs. South Florida
Gator: Virginia vs. Oregon State

The remaining bowls operate on tie-ins, kind of like they do in the actual system. Six-win teams are eligible only after all seven-loss teams in their conference receive bids. If a conference cannot fill all tie-ins, they become at large berths, and a 6-win team cannot be chosen unless all 7-win teams receive bids.

Eligible 7-win (or more) teams: Cincy, Auburn, UConn, Oregon, Wake Forest, Michigan, Arkansas, Florida State, Kentucky, Penn State, Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Utah, Georgia Tech, Michigan State, Rutgers, Troy, New Mexico, Purdue, Fresno State, Tulsa, Indiana, Navy, TCU, East Carolina, Bowling Green, Houston, Ball State, USM, Memphis.

Six-win teams are UCLA, South Carolina, Maryland, Oklahoma State, Bama, Cal, Colorado, Louisville, Northwestern, Iowa, ULM, Nevada, and Ohio.

Bowl/conference pecking order:
ACC: Music City, Emerald
Big East: Sun, Intl, Armed Forces*
Big Ten: Hall Of Fame, Alamo, Copper, Motor City
Big XII: Holiday, Alamo, Sun***, Copper, Indy
CUSA: Liberty, Mobile, Humanitarian, Pineapple, New Orleans
MAC: Motor City, Poinsettia#, Humanitarian/Mobile**, International
MWC: Las Vegas, Poinsettia#, Armed Forces, New Mexico
PAC-10: Holiday, Sun***, Las Vegas, Emerald, Armed Forces*
SEC: Hall Of Fame, Liberty, Music City, Indy
Sunbelt: New Orleans
WAC: Humanitarian/Mobile**, Pineapple, New Mexico

* Armed Forces Bowl choose Big East or PAC-10.
** Humanitarian Bowl can choose first from the WAC or second from the MAC; other choice goes to Mobile.
*** Sun Bowl can choose Big XII or PAC-10.
# Poinsettia automatically takes Navy if they’re eligible.

Sun Bowl: Colorado vs. Cincinnati
Holiday Bowl: Oregon vs. Texas A&M
Las Vegas Bowl: Utah vs. UCLA
Emerald Bowl Cal vs. Florida State
Copper Bowl: Michigan State vs. Wake Forest (Big XII #6 not enough teams)
Pineapple Bowl Nevada vs. Southern Miss
Humanitarian Bowl: Fresno State vs. Houston
Liberty Bowl: Tulsa vs. Arkansas
Music City Bowl: Kentucky vs. Georgia Tech
Independence Bowl: Mississippi State vs. Purdue (Big XII not enough teams)
New Orleans Bowl: Troy vs. Memphis
Mobile Bowl: Iowa (MAC/WAC not enough teams) vs. East Carolina
Motor City Bowl: Bowling Green vs. Indiana
Poinsettia Bowl: Ball State vs. Navy
International Bowl: Ohio vs. Rutgers
Hall of Fame Bowl: Auburn vs. Penn State
Alamo Bowl: Oklahoma State vs. Michigan
New Mexico Bowl: New Mexico vs. South Carolina (WAC not enough teams)
Armed Forces Bowl: TCU vs. UConn

16-team playoffs
1) Ohio State (Big Ten Champ)
2) LSU (SEC Champ)
3) Virginia Tech (ACC Champ)
4) Oklahoma (Big XII Champ)
5) Georgia (Wild Card)
6) Missouri (Wild Card)
7) Southern Cal (PAC-1 Champ)
8) Kansas (Wild Card)
9) West Virginia (Big East Champ)
10) Hawaii (WAC Champ)
11) Arizona State (Wild Card)
12) Florida (Wild Card)
13) BYU (MWC Champ)
14) Central Florida (CUSA Champ)
15) Florida Atlantic (Sun Belt Champ)
16) Central Michigan (MAC Champ)

BCS Bowls: Illinois, BC, Tennessee, Texas, South Florida, Oregon (rule #3), Boise State (rule #4), Wisconsin (suck it Tommy Bowden)

Rose: Illinois vs. Oregon
Sugar: Tennessee vs. Wisconsin
Fiesta: Texas vs. Boise State
Orange: Boston College vs. South Florida

Tier 2 Bowls--Original scenario had this:

Peach: Clemson vs. Air Force
Cotton: Tennessee vs. Texas Tech
Citrus: Wisconsin vs. South Florida
Gator: Virginia vs. Oregon State

Wisconsin, Tennessee, and South Florida got bumped up. Replace them with Michigan, Auburn, and UConn.

For the remaining bowl matchups, Michigan bumped up from the Big Ten berth in the Alamo Bowl, so Northwestern replaces them.

Louisville gets the spot in the Armed Forces Bowl vacated by UConn since they're the only team left from the affiliated conferences (So much for shafting them. See why it should only be 12 playoff spots?).

Give South Carolina the HOF Bowl berth vacated by Auburn. The New Mexico Bowl, which had South Carolina in my scanario, instead fills the at large bid with one of the last three bowl eligible teams (Maryland, Bama, or UL-Monroe). I'll give that spot to UL-Monroe based on the head to head tiebreaker against the gumps. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Nevermind what I said about Louisville. This was worth it!!!
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:22 AM   #28
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

No excuse not to have a playoff in college football what-so-ever.

http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/in...=NCAAF_Playoff

..and this is the best model imo. :)

Even as a fan of the buckeyes, big ten and the boilermakers knowing that it would probably put as at a slight disadvantage. I don't care. You wanna be the best? Prove that you can go undefeated in 2-4 straight games. D-1-aa ball does, II does it. HIGH SCHOOL DOES IT, THE PROS DO IT. NO EXCUSES. Could you imagine how enthralled the country would be during this whole time if we did have a tourney? It would blow away what-ever bowl game money is made right now.

No its stupid, And personally I blame the Big Ten and all the other major conferences for this whole mess.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #29
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Just to go on record, I too back a playoff system 110%.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #30
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

Paterno > NCAA
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote