Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #51
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551
Default Re: Your Take on The AFC North in '08?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dVnJG7v98iE

..and before you say anything. Yes, I know Bernie sounds drunk, but his analysis is pretty dead on and some of the best I've heard out of a color commentator.

Not that is exactly the best to show as he's playing against third string talent. He has leadership qualities and is very smart. But not a rocket arm like DA has, would be awesome if we were able to combine the two.

We donno how he looks just yet, but word has it, according to those inside the Browns is that he blows DA outta the water. And with talent like Braylon, KWII, Stalworth, and now Martin Rucker and an awesome o-line, it would be mighty difficult to mess that all up., it would be fun to see what he'll do on a drive in an nfl game.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #52
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

well the running game will need help b/c lewis won't be able to do it all by himself again.. like i stated b4 the browns will prob be in a lot of shoot-out games this upcoming season... and the ravens might be looking towards 09-10 season on off maybe.. but by that time there d will have lost half of it's "stars"

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #53
TrueSteelerForLife
Water Boy

Member Number: 8550
Default AFC North Chat

Just something i came across...

Ron(PA): Happy Birthday, M-Dub! I turned 33 yesterday myself. Does any QB in the NFL (Brady and Peyton included) have a more well-rounded arsenal of weapons than Big Ben in Pittsburgh right now, with Parker-Mendenhall-Moore, Ward-Holmes-Sweed-Washington, and Miller-Spaeth?

Matt Williamson: (12:03 PM ET ) Thanks! Much appreciated. PGH's arsenal is right at the top-no doubt in my mind. Indy's is more proven though and if Marvin comes back to 90% of what he has been-look out. I think these are the top 2. NE surely is in the conversation, but that is mostly because of Moss. I am not saying that Welker, Watson, Maroney and company are not a great group, but Moss makes that group go round.

Keith (Chicago): Happy Birthday MW! From a Browns fan (not that that matters), honestly assess the Steelers OLine. It was a weakness last year, and I don't see a "presumed" upgrade at center coming close to off-setting the loss of Faneca...

Matt Williamson: (12:09 PM ET ) As you probably know, I live here in PGH and have been asked about PGH's OL about 800 times. I do think it will be better for a few reasons and Tomlin said it well on Draft Day. He said something along the lines of how you can improve the blocking by either getting better blockers or getting more weapons. PGH got more weapons and should be able to attack a D any way they want. I certainly do not see a Pro Bowl player on that OL, but I do expect the 2nd year staff to better utilize what they have and Ben needs to realize that checking down to Heath Miller or Mewelde Moore could be a very profitiable decision. This O could be exceptional and most importantly, Ben is going getting better.

Larry (Pasco, WA): Matt, the AFC seems to be top heavy again. Can you list your top five AFC teams in terms of making the Superbowl?

Matt Williamson: (12:13 PM ET ) My AFC playoff predictions are SD, PGH, Indy, and NE as division winners and Jax and surprise, Den as the Wild Cards. Buff could push for that WC spot over Den as well. The AFC North has me confounded a bit and I am not at all ready to write off Cincy or Balt. Keep an eye on both teams. BUT, the AFC North plays the AFC South and NFC East-getting wins is going to be tough.

Eric (Sioux City): Will this be the best oline in 2 years? LT - LG - C - RG - RT Gaither Grubbs Brown Yanda Terry?

Matt Williamson: (12:38 PM ET ) I LOVE the interior nad think it is a hidden secret out there right now as to just how good the OC/OGs are for Baltimore. Still have serious questions at OT though and with all the TE injuries, I wonder how much double TE sets Balt will be able to play. I like Yanda, but he probably should be a guard. Gaither has a ton of upside, but a long way to go before he can handle Wimbley, Harrison, etc on an every week basis. Terry looks like an average player-either at RT or LT. So, to answer your question, Yes...and No.

Schmoo (Chicago): Matt, when talking about the AFC North, you did not mention the Browns, but said you were not ready to write off the Bengals or Ravens. Does this mean you think the Browns will finish last?

Matt Williamson: (12:40 PM ET ) No, I don't think that and am very impressed with their off season. I still have doubts though. They didn't face many injuries at all last year and I am not a believer in DA here at all. What if J Lewis gets hurt? How about the CBs? I just have more concerns than many others seem to. They do have the best OL in the NFL though and that goes a VERY long way. I just can't see two teams coming out of the AFC North.

Keith (Chicago): Holy %#$@, did you just say best OL in the entire NFL?

Matt Williamson: (12:54 PM ET ) Cleveland's? No doubt in my mind. Especially if Tucker is healthy. Just think if L Bentley ever comes back. J Thomas and Steinbach next to each other is really something. This team has 7 true starters along their OL. Most teams have about four.
TrueSteelerForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #54
j-dawg
Team Captain

Member Number: 2228
Default Re: AFC North Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueSteelerForLife View Post
Just something i came across...

Matt Williamson: (12:09 PM ET ) As you probably know, I live here in PGH and have been asked about PGH's OL about 800 times. I do think it will be better for a few reasons and Tomlin said it well on Draft Day. He said something along the lines of how you can improve the blocking by either getting better blockers or getting more weapons. PGH got more weapons and should be able to attack a D any way they want. I certainly do not see a Pro Bowl player on that OL, but I do expect the 2nd year staff to better utilize what they have and Ben needs to realize that checking down to Heath Miller or Mewelde Moore could be a very profitiable decision. This O could be exceptional and most importantly, Ben is going getting better.

Matt Williamson: (12:40 PM ET ) No, I don't think that and am very impressed with their off season. I still have doubts though. They didn't face many injuries at all last year and I am not a believer in DA here at all. What if J Lewis gets hurt? How about the CBs? I just have more concerns than many others seem to. They do have the best OL in the NFL though and that goes a VERY long way. I just can't see two teams coming out of the AFC North.
Ahhh... speculation is great before the season starts. He gives the best scenerio for the Steelers and the worst for the Browns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueSteelerForLife View Post
Keith (Chicago): Holy %#$@, did you just say best OL in the entire NFL?
poor Bears fan... last time the Browns played 'em they scored two touchdowns, in under 60 seconds, towards the end of the game for a Win... with a horrible O-line and Trent Dilfer at QB
Old 06-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #55
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I concur that Cleveland OL may be the best in the business. I think Derek Anderson is the proof of that, as he's a pretty average QB, but with all day to throw and some nice weapons around him he looked like a Pro Bowler.

I still maintain that their defense will dramatically improve by adding a couple hogs up front. The 3-4 lives and dies on big fat DL's eating up blockers to free up LB's (although Buckeye Dan still doesn't understand this), and they'll have that this year. The secondary is a mess, though, so they are still gonna give up some points.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #56
warddj86
Starter

Member Number: 4235

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
Steelers
Bengals
Browns
Ravens

I see the Browns dropping off big time. Yes they had a decent year last year but I think they shot their wad. Derek Anderson showed his true colors when he needed to win big games. There will be a QB controversy when the Browns start to fold and Quinn will step in and falter as well. Ravens have an old D and have QB issues, I think that leaves Cincy behind us. I know Cincy has disgruntled felons but I have a hunch they will be improved.
I know most non Steeler fans would call us homers for all thinking Steelers will win division, but we have improved immensely in my opinion. My only concern is our D-line and secondary. Can Troy get back to his old self I am doubtful considering he is presently injured. I think Timmons and Woodley will both be solid. Our D was pretty bad when Aaron Smith went down. We need some youngsters to step it up on D-line and secondary or we will be in a lot of shootouts. I think we will be a very high scoring team next year.
Agreed, but the Bengals still have to many holes, the Browns thing I agree with you on, they are a one-season wonder, Ravens, eh!

1 Steelers 11-5
2 Browns 9-7
3 Bengals 7-9
4 Ravens 6-10

Divisional Play

Browns 1, Bengals 1
Ravens 0, Bengals 2
Browns 1, Ravens 1
Steelers 2, Bengals 0
Steelers 1, Ravens 1 (We always seem to split with them for some reason)
Steelers 2, Browns 0 (11 Straight)
warddj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #57
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Only one team is coming out of the AFC North with the schedule everyone has and that winner will be 9-7 and the rest of the teams will be 8-8 and under. Steelers will win the divisions.

Ravens Will Fight with the Browns and Bengals for last place.

Ravens defense is no more, There QB choice between Flacco a rook to Troy smith a Shrimp will get them no were along with there defense dropping a notch each year. You can only live off the SB defense for so long.

Bengals in total disaster mod, and still have not fixed there defense. And there O Line has been damaged.

Browns, Anderson the 1 year wonder who reminds me of McNabb throwing over and under WRs and has to throw 50 times a game to complete passes. Along with having not one single good CB. Shaun Rogers was a garbage pickup and to let there best CB go for that was stupid. Rogers may play 10% of the game. If Bengals play hafe way decent they will finish above the Browns.

Steelers added more offense and if they put together that puzzle of a offensive line and cut at least 15 sacks off that total of last season and kill some of that pressure will walk thru the division like nothing to it. The defense is still top 5. Loosing Faneca does not hurt us one bit, what did he do for the team this last season nothing. Tomline can manage to fix the special teams also and Steelers will be in contention for a run at the SB. Barring any major injuries like last season, steelers would of made a nice push, but stuff happens.

Enjoy another Division win Steelers.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #58
warddj86
Starter

Member Number: 4235

AS long AS we WIN the DIVISION, I really don't care how the order plays out
warddj86 is offline   Reply With Quote