Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Lithuania Bans Public Display of Soviet, Nazi Symbols, BBC Says

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...&refer=germany

June 18 (Bloomberg) -- Lithuania's parliament passed a law imposing the toughest restrictions in the former Soviet Union on the public display of Soviet and Nazi symbols, the British Broadcasting Corp. reported.

It will be an offense in the Baltic state to publicly display images of Soviet and Nazi leaders as well as flags, emblems and badges showing the hammer and sickle or swastika, the BBC said. Equating Soviet and Nazi symbols will probably infuriate Russia, which views the Soviet defeat of Nazi Germany as one of the greatest events in Russian history, the BBC said.

The law also prohibits the playing of the Soviet and Nazi anthems, according to the broadcaster, which added that it was unclear whether this extends to the current Russian national anthem that uses the Soviet music with different lyrics.

Russia occupied Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia following the signing of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact between the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany in 1939. Many Balts welcomed the Germans as liberators when they invaded the Soviet Union in 1941 and some fought alongside the Nazis. The Soviets retook the Baltic states during the latter part of World War II and retained control until 1991 when the Soviet Union collapsed.

This one is kind of weird for me because I have both Lithuanian and German in my bloodlines.

I can totally understand banning Nazi symbols, but why ban the hammer and sickle?
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547
Default Re: Lithuania Bans Public Display of Soviet, Nazi Symbols, BBC Says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I can totally understand banning Nazi symbols, but why ban the hammer and sickle?
Lithuania was brutally occupied by the Communists for decades. I can see both bans given the history of Eastern Europe.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Lithuania was brutally occupied by the Communists for decades. I can see both bans given the history of Eastern Europe.
Seems like it makes the symbols more powerful to have them officially banned by the government. I would hope the court of public opinion would be enough to limit the influence of those who would parade these symbols given the history.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

In Germany the Hitlergrub AKA Hitler Salute carries a prison term of about 2 years if done in public.