Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #21
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206
Default Re: It's Official - Sonics Moving to OKC

I am sorry for those true seattle fans

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
BettisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #22
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,572 Times in 1,511 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I have to say I have been a sonic fan for a very long time but I probably won't pull for them when they move it just won't be the same.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #23
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
The only real reason they even moved there is because of the fact that Clay Bennett is from Oklahoma City. I think it's pathetic. The NBA should not have allowed the move. Though I believe if they are as well taken as OK City took in the Hornets for the few games they had there, it will work.
Clay Bennet is a villain in all of this for sure. He and his other owners had continually lied about their intent to try to keep the Sonics in Seattle when they purchased it. E-mails and interviews have shown that Bennet has no integrity when it comes to the truth. Bennet made a proposal for a half billion dollar arena that the tax payers would pay for and he would get most of the revenue from. That was his good faith effort to keep the team. But it was naive for people to think that the OK owners weren't going to try to move the team.

Howard Schultz (the guy who brought you Starbucks and used to own the Sonics) is also a big villain because he sold the Sonics to out of town ownership. He had wanted a new arean and revenue sharing deal for years but the state and local government had no interest. We had paid for a refurb to the Key Arena in the 90s (along with a new football and baseball stadium) and people didn't want to spend more taxpayer money on the Key when we have roads that need to be built and bridges that will fall over or sink in a big eathquake. So Schultz decided that the only way to mobilize the taxpayers to build a new arena would be to sell to out of town owners who could move the team. Bad idea. Now, after Bennet made no effort to keep the team. Schultz's local image is damaged. Schultz is now sueing Bennet for breach of contract, saying he violated the stipulation of the sale that demanded Bennet make a good fath effort to keep the team in Seattle. Should be interesting to see what happens with that. There is plenty of evidence from Bennet's emails and the other owners that they never intended to stay in Seattle. So there is a good chance that Schultz could win some money from Bennet in such a suit. But Schultz doesn't want money, he wants the team back. While that could happen in theory, such a verdict would be unprecedented in American law.

Commisioner David Stern is another person to blame. He has been a total lap dog for Bennett. Stern orginally said in the mid 90s that the Key Arena was one of the best venues in the league. Then, when the Scultz was grumbling about his revenue contract (that Stern approved back in the 90s), Stern started saying the the Key Arena needed to be remodeled again for the NBA to stay. Then, a year later, when Bennett bought the team, Stern reversed himself and said that the Key Arena could not be remodeled and work for the NBA; and totally new arena would need to be built per Bennett's specifications. Stern and Bennett have a bit of a Brokeback relationship. Some of the emails that have come out between them are really funny. When Bennett's ownership group got caught saying that they never had any intentio of keeping the team in Seattle, Bennett wrote this long love letter to Stern extolling how much he respected Stern and how he was Bennett's "favortite person in the world" and that he was worried that teh owner's getting caught in a lie was going to hurt their relationship. It didn't obviously.

The localk and state govenment also are to blame as well. It turns out that, once the departure of the team was immmenant, the city government did come up with a plan to throw 75 million at a Key arena refurb and was asking the State for 75 million more. A local group lead by Steve Ballmer (head of Microsoft) would have spent whatever else it took redo the Key if they could buy the Sonics. Had this effort been made 3 years ago or earlier, Schultz never would have sold the team ot out of towners and we would still have an NBA team.

Lots of blame to go around. Bennett and Stern sure end up looking the sleaziest though.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #24
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,529 Times in 3,968 Posts

so whadaya think HB? you still gonna follow/root for the team once its in OKC? i kinda feel obligated since that now theres no supersonics i dont really have an actual team to root for, or a team i would actually stick with through thick and thin.

even after shawn kemp, gary payton, kendall gill, detlef schrempf, nate mcmillan and big smooth perkins, and the fiasco named mclivane, i stuck with them.

i guess i will pull for the guys now (not necessarilly the city or jersey) until the seattle gets their team back.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #25
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Its gonna be pretty hard for me to root for that team now given the circumstances. I know its petty of me, but I would be open to experienceing a bit of schadenfreude over the next couple years. Right now I am not so high on the NBA in general. I have been gravitating toward the college game quite a bit over the last decade or so. Its just hard for me to support anything associated with Stern or Bennet right now. I guess I could pull for the Trailblazers. I have a ton of respesct for Nate McMillan. But they are supposed to be my team's rivals.... Course I don't have a team now.