Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 07-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #21
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: The SEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlsteelers View Post
The question was why wont most SEC teams travel to the northern states to play?

From a Georgia fan - there is nothing to gain from it. We have the best overall conference. We make more money than any other conference. We have won more BCS titles than any other conference. Georgia is already playing a schedule with over 50% of its oppenents ranked in the top 25. Why bother. With the conference championship we generally play 3 top 10 games a year - not including the bowl game.

"Why travel down to Georgia, Florida, LSU, Arkansas, Alabama, etc when none of them will return the favor and come up to Columbus and play? It's only fair."

Who cares if its fair. Is it fair that the Big 10 refuses to take part in a college playoff? Is it fair that OSU played in the tilte game without beating a SINGLE team in the AP top 15? Is it fair that the SEC and Big 12 have conference champiohsip games and the Big 10 doesn't?

A lot of the conference's money comes from those championship games. It's not the Big 10's fault that the SEC, Big 12, and ACC have decided to go for the big bucks and expand large enough to do a conference championship game. That choice came down to the schools and the conferences that have them. That is not about fairness, that's about the choice to expand enough and have one or the choice not to.

The home-and-home fairness is the fact that Ohio State spends a good chunk of their budget sending the team to another school to play OOC and Ohio State sees very little proceeds from that trip. Therefore, the team the play makes a trip to Columbus where Ohio State gets most of the proceeds from that game, kind of recouping the loss from going to the other school.

Florida had no problem whatsoever playing tOSU OOC, but they wouldn't return the favor and come to Columbus for the game.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #22
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

i think the big 10 refuses to have a championship game out of fear that i could knock a team out of the BCS championship game. It has happened to schools from the SEC but it appears to have the opposite effect more often - propelling a team by raising the strenght of schedule of team after it wins. i would have to argue about the proceeds for coming down south. i am sure they would pay well. just like you have to Ohio and YSU for those games.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:07 PM   #23
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

Quote:
i think the big 10 refuses to have a championship game out of fear that i could knock a team out of the BCS championship game. It has happened to schools from the SEC but it appears to have the opposite effect more often - propelling a team by raising the strenght of schedule of team after it wins. i would have to argue about the proceeds for coming down south. i am sure they would pay well. just like you have to Ohio and YSU for those games.
We've tried to get Notre Dame to join..and they've wussed out on us a bunch..66

Quote:
Following the addition of previously independent Penn State, efforts were made to encourage the University of Notre Dame, the last remaining traditionally independent football powerhouse, to join the league. Early in the 20th century, Notre Dame had sought official entry into the Big Ten but was never extended an invitation.[16] However, in 1999, both Notre Dame and the Big Ten entered into private negotiations concerning a possible membership that would include Notre Dame. Although the Notre Dame faculty senate endorsed the idea with a near unanimous vote, the ND board of trustees decided against joining the conference and Notre Dame ultimately withdrew from negotiations. [2] Though the idea has been revisited in the wake of the Atlantic Coast Conference's expansion to 12 teams, neither Notre Dame nor the Big Ten has taken any official action in pursuit of Notre Dame's membership. Notre Dame had, in 1995, joined the Big East Conference in all sports except football, men's lacrosse, and men's hockey, the latter for which there is no Big East Conference.

Other possible universities that have gained favor for any possible expansion for the 12th spot in the conference include:

* Rutgers University[17][18]
* Syracuse University[17][18]
* University of Missouri[18]
* University of Nebraska[18]
* University of Pittsburgh[19]
* West Virginia University [20]

Due to a requirement of the Big Ten bylaws, any expansion must be within, or next to, current Big Ten territory (although, like all bylaws, this could be amended by conference vote). Due to the addition of the Big Ten Network, expansion talks have been revisited. Expansion could mean adding a conference championship football game and adding a school in or near a large TV market, greatly aiding the Big Ten Network's marketability[17]. It is likely academics will also play an important role in any potential 12th school being invited into the conference.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:22 PM   #24
atlsteelers
Starter

I am sure that notre dame does not want to give up that NBC money. You could try to add Pitt but Penn State might not like it. A logical choice would be Marshall or another MAC team. I doubt you can get a Big East or a Big 12 team but the Big East may be the easiest of the two to poach a team from.

The Big 10 has been slow to modernise (besides the tv network).

The ACC was allowed to have a championship game with 11 teams until they added the 12th. You guys have a nice conference with a hell of team on top with OSU but you lack the overall conference depth.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #25
atlsteelers
Starter

UGA has worked out deals with schools were instead of playing a home and away series UGA gets 2 home games and play one away. We did this Oklahoma State. I am not sure how we got the Arizona State game. If it was up to me i would fire the schedule maker. why the heck schedule that game. we play a 8 pm (arizona time) saturday game then have to come back and play alabama the next weekend. you guys play at USC and get troy the following saturday, beware they will play you very close altough their offensive coordinator left for Auburn but thats a game that might get ya. I know its nice and all to have these OOC games but unless we have a playoff system it can really hurt a team. Look how the OSU team cruised through a soft schedule last year (with a loss) and made it the title game. If i had a choice thats what i would choose over these difficult games. Think if you did not have to play that USC game you would have golden path to the BCS title. You still have the path of least resistance, you can lose to USC and easliy make it back to the title game.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:36 PM   #26
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
UGA has worked out deals with schools were instead of playing a home and away series UGA gets 2 home games and play one away. We did this Oklahoma State. I am not sure how we got the Arizona State game. If it was up to me i would fire the schedule maker. why the heck schedule that game. we play a 8 pm (arizona time) saturday game then have to come back and play alabama the next weekend. you guys play at USC and get troy the following saturday, beware they will play you very close altough their offensive coordinator left for Auburn but thats a game that might get ya. I know its nice and all to have these OOC games but unless we have a playoff system it can really hurt a team. Look how the OSU team cruised through a soft schedule last year (with a loss) and made it the title game. If i had a choice thats what i would choose over these difficult games. Think if you did not have to play that USC game you would have golden path to the BCS title. You still have the path of least resistance, you can lose to USC and easliy make it back to the title game.
I would love a playoff system, but that would get rid of the bowls and all that money and I think that's a big reason why there is no playoff.

I really wish the B10 could get a 12th team and do a conference championship game. But I think the Big 10 doesn't want to poach away a team from another conference like the ACC did with the Big East and then the Big East did to Conference USA.

Also, there are the academic bylaws required to join the Big 10. I forget what the big one is, something about research I think, but it has disqualified a few schools.

I would absolutley LOVE to get Notre Dame in the conference. But they don't wanna give up that NBC money nore the special BCS rules that apply to them because they aren't in a conference.

And btw atlsteelers...there is only one SEC team I ever root for and that is Georgia.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #27
atlsteelers
Starter

I gotta watch myself - because Georgia's loaded with talent this year - this is in all likely hood the greatest (talent wise) Georgia team in my memory (i lived in PA when UGA won their last title in the early 80s and was too young to remeber anyways). If we somehow survive our brutal schedule and make it to the BCS title and we get matched up with OSU and all of my sh*t talking will come back and bite me in the ass if OSU wins that game.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #28
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Continually bagging on the current state of the Big ten makes no sense. Again, when the SEC takes a shit as a conference (and they will again), and one of the top teams misses the NC game for playing nothing but creampuffs, your entire argument will crumble.Conversely, since OSU has these tough ooc games scheduled for the next couple decades, what happens when the Big Ten resurges and has 4 or 5 (or more) top 25 teams (and it WILL happen again)? Do we use the same BS excuse the SEC teams do?

Of course we don't. We can't, because we aren't afraid to schedule tough ooc year after year and don't hide behind empty excuses about in-conference strength.

Until the Big Ten adds a twelth team, there will NEVER be a conference championship game, nor should there be. Same goes for the Pac 10. That's just the way it is, and it makes very little sense to argue against the way it is.

Also, the argument that it is somehow OSU's fault that the Big Ten has had down years borders on retarded. What are they supposed to do, schedule more top 25 ooc games? Are they supposed to turn down future invites to the NC game? It all makes absolutely no sense, yet, here we are, arguing all the same old nonsense over and over again.

My question becomes, will OSU earn the respect they deserve when the Big Ten returns to prominence and they end up playing and beating a top ranked ooc team? If they run the table this year, beat #1 USC on the road, and win the NC game, are people STILL going to bag on them?

Finally, as far as championships based on conferences, I found this:

Now, if you take the current conference memberships and assign all individual team championships to the CURRENT conference, rather the conference membership at the time the championship was won, then the current membership of the Big 12 leads all conferences with 16. The Big 10 and SEC are tied for second at 13.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #29
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Okay, I was "talking" (more like wanting to smash in the head with a brick) with a fan of the Arkansas Razorbacks who lives near me.
USC 70 Arkansas 17
USC 50 Arkansas 15 And the games weren't even that close.

Ohhh Buckeye fan. The eight-week countdown starts today. It's almost time to sharpen the keys on the keyboard and grease up the mouse. Not quite yet.

But dude. Talking to SEC fan is like talking to a DailyCos freakin' nut job. Blinded by reality. There is no honest debate just . The Razorbacks admitted that the 2006 USC game was the most important game in "school history" (their words) in response to the decapitation from 2005. And the Trojans brought the grill and roasted that pig whole. Their response to that...Stanford.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:07 PM   #30
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I know you love the Trojans to the point of delusion, dude, but who do you really think has the edge in that game? The TONS of senior leadership that have a HUGE chip on their shoulder after losing TWO back-to-back NC games or the coddled (yes, possibly superior) talent that runs to USC craving the spotlight?

Consider that USC has a long record of choking early under Carroll and it wouldn't surprise me if the Buckeyes beat the arrogance right out of those Trojans.

Of course the game is everything...and it won't be too long now.