Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #21
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Nady and Marte Traded to the Yankees

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller View Post
we had to make room for Pearce and McCutchen and it looks like we pulled the gun a little to soon on the deal as i think for Nady and Marte we could of gotten better quality.

oh well you can probably expect Jack Wilson and Jason Bay, maybe John Grabow to all be next.
Who else is major league ready to play Shortstop?

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #22
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburghfan View Post
http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/ne...=.jsp&c_id=pit

As of Friday, the Pirates were expected to receive four prospects - right-hander Ross Ohlendorf, outfielder Jose Tabata, right-hander George Kontos and lefty Phil Coke - in return for Pirates reliever Damaso Marte and outfielder Xavier Nady.

However, as of Saturday morning, Kontos and Coke appear to be out of the deal. Instead the Pirates will be receiving right-handers Jeff Karstens and Daniel McCutchen, both of whom have been playing for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
Still brutal. Ian Kennedy had to be part of this deal for it to have any value. None of these guys are impressive AT ALL.

Looks like 15 more years of bad baseball. God, it's so tough being a Pirates fan...
Old 07-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #23
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Some comments:

Quote:
NEW YORK POST
***** They filled needs without giving up anything that will hurt them." Another executive from an AL contender said bluntly, "The Pirates took a bag of [bleep] quantity."
More proof that in the FO's mind this team is not going to win:

Quote:
The Times: ****** An official from a team interested in Nady flatly said his club offered better quality, but Pittsburgh was too concerned with getting quantity.

Oh well, i enjoyed watching the Passion play on TV the other day.

http://pod08.prospero.com/n/blogs/bl...ag=KDKA_Sports
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #24
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

I was almost ready to think they may have turned the corner. I was really hoping they might step up and go after someone to build towards next year. Pitching let them down bigtime this season but IMO there was a solid core group of players being established, Nady being one of those players.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #25
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I was almost ready to think they may have turned the corner. I was really hoping they might step up and go after someone to build towards next year. Pitching let them down bigtime this season but IMO there was a solid core group of players being established, Nady being one of those players.
I totally agree. Nady was most definitely part of that core and a huge part of the success of the Pirates offense this season. A total boneheaded move by the Pirates and though I will miss the X Man terribly, he is going to a team that is usually a contender (blech) and leaving an organization that has proven time and time again over the last decade + to be a pretender.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:02 PM   #26
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

I don't think they're even trying to pretend anymore............sad
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #27
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Bumbling Bucs strike again.

How many times does it have to be spelt to you guys? Why does this surprise you? Until the Nutcases change their philosophy as owners or leave, it doesn't matter how many rebuilding years they have, or how many managers they fire, the Pirates will continue to be mediocre to just plain bad. Huntington is nothing more than another yes man for the Nutts. He's done nothing to make me believe he'll be any better than Littlebrain, in fact, I think he'll be worse.

We're closing in on setting the MLB record for consecutive losing seasons, and judging by this horrible trade, we're about set for another five seasons of ugly baseball.

Last edited by Edman; 07-28-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:51 PM   #28
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I don't think they're even trying to pretend anymore............sad
If you all think we're frustrated, think of how the team feels.

I go to a couple of Pirates games per season. I refuse to feel sorry for those who continue to buy full or partial season ticket plans - all they are doing is putting millions into the NutJobs' pockets with no positive results. Imho - they have no right to B & M.

I watched part of the Sox/Yanks game last night and it was so sad to see Nady in a Yanks uniform.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:37 AM   #29
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

OK, now that I've had a chance to simmer down, let's take a look into this trade:

- Nady will be entering the final year of his contract next season, and he has Scott Boras as his agent, who, for those who aren't aware, is the MLB equivalent of Drew Rosenhaus. The Pirates are already dealing with Boras now, as he is the agent of this year's 1st round pick Pedro Alvarez, and predictably are having trouble getting him signed. And since the Pirates have Steve Pearce and Andrew McCutchen waiting in the wings, and the fact that Nady will command a hefty price tag if he has another solid season next year, he was expendable.

- Marte has a $6 million option for next season, and it just doesn't make any sense for them to pay a setup man that kind of money. Tyler Yates can do the same job for less than 1/6 of the cost; Denny Bautista can do it for the league minimum and John Grabow is a pretty good lefty setup man in his own right. And with Matt Capps already established as the closer, Marte was a guy the Pirates could afford to part with and get decent value.

Now, let's look at who they got from the Spankees:

- OF Jose Tabata. Dubbed "Lil' Manny (Ramirez)" by none other than Doug Mientkiewicz when he was with the Yankees last season. Was the 3rd best prospect in the Yankees system. Has talent out the ass, and many scouts think he's a future All-Star. However, he has a bit of an attitude problem (just like Manny) - he was suspended by his AAA team earlier this season for failing to back up an outfielder on a fly ball. If he gets his attitude in check and focuses on harnessing his talent, the Bucs will have a good one here.

- P's Jeff Karstens, Dan McCutchen and Ross Ohlendorf. As everyone here knows, the Bucs' starting pitching has been absolutely brutal this season. They have constantly put the team in huge holes to start the game, and the offense has to fight like hell just to get back in it. The pitching depth in the organization is severely lacking despite all of the arms that Littlebrain drafted over the years, and these three guys give the Bucs some much-needed help. All 3 are projected to be starters at the major-league level - Karstens in fact made a number of starts for the Spankees last season and is scheduled to join the rotation this weekend. Ohlendorf has had a cup of coffee in the majors as well. McCutchen was just 4-6 at AAA but had a pretty good 3.58 ERA. If the Bucs can get a couple of these guys to be decent starters and get a stud or 2 out of Maholm/Snell/Gorzo/Duke, they may end up having a decent rotation, certainly better than anything they've gotten this year. If nothing else, adding these 3 keeps the steaming pile of suck known as John Van Benschoten in the minors where he belongs, and may give Gorzo, Duke and Snell the kick in the ass that they need.

Is this the best deal they could have made? No, certainly not. But when you really think about it, it isn't as bad as it initially looked. Time will tell the true value of the trade.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:14 AM   #30
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,312 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

I've always hated that the Pirates are seemingly like the MLB's official farm team (constantly trading away talent), but as a lifelong/die hard Yankee fan I am estatic about this one.