Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-03-2005, 01:33 PM   #1
HinesWard4Life8682
Starter

Member Number: 323
Default Why is one of our needs a WR?

We have one of the best in the league in hines ward and then we seen how good and explosive Randle El could be during his starts, so why is one of our needs a WR?

if it's big play ability, randle el could bring that and hines ward can kind of
Old 04-03-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: Why is one of our needs a WR?

We need a big physical, stretch the defense receiver. El is a great pocession reciever, and although Hines is great, he is in between a poc, and a big play rec. If we have someone that can stretch a defense Hines will be a better player
Old 04-03-2005, 08:57 PM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Ben confessed, stated, realized, whatever that his success this season greatly hinged on his relationship w/ plax. A big target who can go get the jump ball whenever need be. Every team has got to have a big/tall WR to that can stretch the field and draw double coverage. The Steelers know they need a big guy, we spent way too many years w/ the smurf WR corp and it didnt get us far in the playoffs for the most part.

Hines is the best and El is quick and elusive.. but after that, Wilson is the new guy, who brings speed, but will he have the same impact in Pittsburgh as he did in san fran? and can he beat double coverage like Hines can, on a regular basis. After that its Mays and Doering, 2 serviceable but not spectactular WR's .

The X factor here is Zamir Cobb.. 5'11 but heard he's put on some weight in the offseason conditioning he's been doing, so he may be a viable player for us if his skills are honed enough. But I would be totally SHOCKED if we didnt go for a WR in this draft. Besides the fact that El is a FA next season I believe, but check me on that.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:31 AM   #4
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

I have always seen the draft as a two headed coin. Draft where you really need help, or where you are really good. If you really need help then you get better instantly. But if you draft where you are good(us at LBS as of lately)then you can keep replacing. I know this hedges the bet kinda, but hear me out. We wont draft a PK or FB cause we can get one of those with a phone call. But say El goes elsewhere and Ward retires(just go with it). Now what? We are a great team struck average by no WR corp. Now we draft one WR in the top 4 rounds. We have Ward, El, Mays, Morey then Cobb, Wilson and the drafted WR as unknowns. It turns out as a positive cause we are on the upside for all three rather than having to get a WR just cause we needed one. Hey David Boston? We could really use you right now. How much will that cost us? You don't want to learn our playbook? Positive for what? See where I'm going? At least we can say Cobb has potential, the new WR can grow just like Ben did, and Wilson was a diamond in the rough, and the machine keeps rolling.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:18 PM   #5
HinesWard4Life8682
Starter

Member Number: 323

i'm intrested in matt jones now cuz he's 6'6 with speed
Old 04-04-2005, 06:20 PM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I agree with Matt Jones pick somewhat. Also El is more of a slot receiver. We need a big throw it up in the corner of the end zone wr