Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
7/39/43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6289
Default #39

What's the scoop on Fast Willie? ain't heard much any info
Old 07-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default Re: #39

healthy.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:32 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,934 Times in 1,651 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
healthy.
That is the main thing hopefully the rest of the guy will make it through camp with no injuries.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

He's going to break his Super Bowl record and have a TD run of 97 yards.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,557 Times in 1,688 Posts

No news is good news. Back in form, will start at RB and pencil him in for 1200 yards if he stays healthy this season.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

according to Behind the Steel Curtain blog...

Willie and Mendenhall were setting the pace for the RB class in drills and hitting sleds. The sled work should be pretty hard on a leg I would think so it seems he's healthy.

Sorry the waterboy can't post links.

www [dot] behindthesteelcurtain [dot] com /2008/7/29/582211/dispatch-from-st-vincent-s
Steely McSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely McSmash View Post
according to Behind the Steel Curtain blog...

Willie and Mendenhall were setting the pace for the RB class in drills and hitting sleds. The sled work should be pretty hard on a leg I would think so it seems he's healthy.

Sorry the waterboy can't post links.

www [dot] behindthesteelcurtain [dot] com /2008/7/29/582211/dispatch-from-st-vincent-s
Little help....

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...m-st-vincent-s

Interesting day, and painful. Not on the field, but I stupidly forgot sunscreen, and now have a very nice burn on the back of my neck. Quick notes:

- Nate Washington looked awesome. Really awesome. He caught everything thrown his way and made a few spectacular grabs, including an acrobatic TD catch in the back of the end zone on a pass from Ben during the two-minute drill. His mohawk looks pretty good too.

- Limas Sweed impressed as well, catching one deep pass from Charlie Batch after beating two defensive backs (I believe they were Mason and Roy Lewis, but don't quote me, I wasn't taking notes) and another on a fade for a TD during Charlie's two-minute.

- Dallas Baker, Willie Reid, and Micah Rucker all seemed very aware that they are on the bubble, as they were playing hard. All three made some great catches, but Baker in particular dropped a pretty easy pass over the middle. Reid was robbed on a fly route when the CB covering him (I couldn't catch his number) interfered, but he also didn't help himself any by pulling up early on another deep Batch pass.

- Hines, veteran of many a training camp, seemed to play when he felt like it. He sat on a Gatorade cooler during some early drills, but later on was making some rolling catches on low balls. He bungled a beautiful pass from Ben on a post, and promptly dropped and banged out ten push-ups, to the crowd's delight. He's the only person on the field who could get cheers after missing a pass.

- Ben was okay. He underthrow Santonio once (who looked solid as well, working well in traffic) and another gave Deshea Townsend an easy interception on a pass that appeared to be intended for one of the FAs whose names I can't remember. Other than that he looked sharp and comfortable, and very accurate, though he wasn't throwing much deep.

- I have to single out Gerran Walker for making some pretty poor cuts. He's probably one of the first to go, given how on the rest of the receivers were.

- Santonio, Willie Reid, and Jeremy Bloom fielded punts (Sepulveda was not punting today, and Batch was holding for Skippy Reed, which I thought was odd). All three handled every punt cleanly, but on the few return drills they ran, Bloom and Holmes outperformed Reid.

- Dennis Dixon seemed okay, and moved pretty well for a guy with what I thought was a bad injury. He and Mike Potts were the least accurate, not surprisingly, and Potts was the only QB to have to throw a pass away during passing drills. I also caught Dixon using a sidearm delivery once or twice, which is a good way to get the ball swatted down. Potts' footwork looked clean from what I saw, but neither he nor Dixon had enough true dropbacks to get a good handle on that.

- Unfortunately, the pass-blocking drills were on a far field. I couldn't see much of what was going on, but unsurprisingly, the defense appeared to be getting the better of the offense. This was not backs-on-backers by the way, as Parker, Mendenhall, Russell and Davis were all participating in the two-minutes at the time.

- Mendenhall looked as good as you can in a limited-contact rushing drill, running low with good lateral quickness. Parker looked good as well - though he was getting the whistle blown on him a bit earlier than Menthol, on average, he had the longest gain of the afternoon, slipping between the LT and LG and darting to his left for a good fifteen or twenty yards before being run out of bounds by Ty Carter.

- As a side note, Parker was hitting the sled a lot harder than I ever remember him hitting a hole in a game. He and Mendenhall again paced the backs in this easily, especially on second effort, where Carey Davis in particular flagged a bit.

- Where was Mewelde Moore? I saw him hit the sled and catch a few passes, but only in a RBs-only drill. I came to camp looking for him specifically, and I could never find him.

- Skippy looked fine on field goals, but he only got to the 45 before the horn sounded. During warmups he took a few jogging steps and hit what appeared to be a very large, very unamused bear of an assistant coach. He hasn't changed much, in other words.

-During one of these field goal attempts, Batch took the snap and then rolled to his right, hitting Matt Spaeth for a completion.

- Troy appeared to be very interested in the rest of the DBs play, spending most of the day crouching and watching the defensive backfield calmly. Chris K, on the other hand, appeared to be very upset not to be on the field. Or maybe he always looks like that. I didn't see Big Snack, believe it or not. not to say that he wasn't on the field, but I never got a glimpse that I was certain was him (a lot of these big guys look similar from a distance - my mother somehow confused Greg Warren with Ben Roethlisberger momentarily).

If I think of anything else, I'll edit or post in the comments.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

sounds like willie's working even harder now. you gotta love it

Quote:
Nate Washington looked awesome. Really awesome. He caught everything thrown his way and made a few spectacular grabs, including an acrobatic TD catch in the back of the end zone on a pass from Ben during the two-minute drill. His mohawk looks pretty good too.
great, we need more of that from nate. a mohawk? cool!!
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
STEELtownHAVOX
Starter

Member Number: 6464

good read...though of course Sep. isn't out there punting. But yeh, good read lots of informative stuff in the article. thanks for posting u two.
STEELtownHAVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
7/39/43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6289

cool that's great