Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default The Coaches Poll

Here is the USA Today Coaches Poll for the upcoming season:

1. Georgia (22) 0-0 1,438
2. USC (14) 0-0 1,430
3. Ohio State (14) 0-0 1,392
4. Oklahoma (3) 0-0 1,329
5. Florida (5) 0-0 1,293
6. LSU (3) 0-0 1,163
7. Missouri 0-0 1,143
8. West Virginia 0-0 1,008
9. Clemson 0-0 999
10. Texas 0-0 979
11. Auburn 0-0 888
12. Wisconsin 0-0 747
13. Kansas 0-0 714
14. Texas Tech 0-0 644
15. Virginia Tech 0-0 568
16. Arizona State 0-0 560
17. Brigham Young 0-0 547
18. Tennessee 0-0 506
19. Illinois 0-0 422
20. Oregon 0-0 399
21. South Florida 0-0 350
22. Penn State 0-0 313
23. Wake Forest 0-0 203
24. Michigan 0-0 112
25. Fresno State 0-0 91
Others Receiving Votes
Alabama 83, South Carolina 64, Utah 60, Rutgers 53, Florida State 53, Boston College 47, California 41, Pittsburgh 34, Boise State 25, Oregon State 23, Nebraska 17, Cincinnati 13, Virginia 12, Connecticut 9, Michigan State 9, Mississippi State 6, Kentucky 5, Notre Dame 5, TCU 5, Maryland 4, Texas A&M 3, UCLA 3, North Carolina 3, Louisville 2, Georgia Tech 2, UCF 2, Tulsa 1, Oklahoma State 1, Arizona 1, Colorado 1.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: The Coaches Poll

I was going to be stunned if Pitt didn't at least get votes

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Now...lets take a good long look at this. First and most obvious is the OSU USC rankings. They play each other week 3. So the loser, of that game between 2 and 3 could drop all the way down to at least 9 in the rankings. Considering that none of the teams above them should have a loss at that point in the season. they play one another on 9/13.
So take a look at the other teams and who they play up to that point.

Georgia has Georgia Southern, Central Mich and then South Carolina on 9/13. Not likely to lose those games. Not if they are truly a #1 team.

Oklahoma plays Chattanooga...nevermind how Sick that makes me, then they play Cincinnati, which could be a tough game for 2 and 1/2 quarters, and then at Washington on 9/13. If it was Oregon, I'd worry for Oklahoma...but its not. They should be 3-0.

Florida plays Hawaii, yawn, then Miam FL, which could be tough but Florida should win since Miami is two seasons away from being truly viable, then a bi week. They should be 2-0.

The most sickening opening schedule is held by LSU. Appy State, which I doubt they pull an upset this season after what they did to Michigan last year, Then Troy...really? Troy? Then North Texas...without Mean Joe Greene, just not quite a good team. SO they should be 3-0.

Missouri. Now the first game should be wild vs Illinois. If they can find a way to win this game like they did last year, then go on to beat SE Missouri State (Huh?) and then Nevada...who? they should be 3-0. If they lose to Illinois then they will drop hard in the polls into the teens for sure.

West Virginia, Villanova, East Carolina...honestly...that's a joke. I'm embarressed for my Big East. Then they go to Colorado, who will be improved this year and if they aren't careful, could sneak up on WVU. Especially if they think Colorado is the same as the two dogs they just played. Of Coarse, East Carolina, the Pirates I think, aren't that shabby, just don't have the depth to compete for 4 quarters.

Clemson. Alabama week 1. Major Gut Check and I admire this scheduling. after that...seriously...the Citadel...ugly game, then NC State. A very tough game. I don't see Clemson winning all 3 so they will drop into the Teens.

That leaves Texas at 10. Florida Atlantic, who I still think has Never beaten a Div I team...I'd have to fact check that...but FAU is Horrible at football. Then Utep...2-0, then Arkansas, Now Arkansas will take this game very seriously...they HATE Texas, but they don't have the horses to win this one this year. I give this to Texas.

So with Auburn and Wisconsin in good position to move up by being 3-0 after week 3, it is conceivable that the loser of the USC vs OSU game will actually DROP out of the top 10.

That's just crazy.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
I was going to be stunned if Pitt didn't at least get votes
With the weapons we have on offense and most of our defense back from last season, we had to get votes to be in the top 25. Now the schedule is the strongest in the Big East, including Navy, Iowa and Notre Dame. We do have Bowling Green which isn't as big a gimme as people think, but scheduling Buffalo hurts our ranking even if we open at 2-0. Week 3 is the Week of movement for the Panthers, if they can beat the Hawkeyes and be at 3-0 going into the Syracuse game, I could see us cracking into the top 25 if a couple lower end teams, like Wake Forest or Kansas, lose games early enough in the season.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

But this thread isn't about Pitt its about the Coaches Poll and breaking it down.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
Now...lets take a good long look at this. First and most obvious is the OSU USC rankings. They play each other week 3. So the loser, of that game between 2 and 3 could drop all the way down to at least 9 in the rankings. Considering that none of the teams above them should have a loss at that point in the season. they play one another on 9/13.
So take a look at the other teams and who they play up to that point.

Georgia has Georgia Southern, Central Mich and then South Carolina on 9/13. Not likely to lose those games. Not if they are truly a #1 team.

Oklahoma plays Chattanooga...nevermind how Sick that makes me, then they play Cincinnati, which could be a tough game for 2 and 1/2 quarters, and then at Washington on 9/13. If it was Oregon, I'd worry for Oklahoma...but its not. They should be 3-0.

Florida plays Hawaii, yawn, then Miam FL, which could be tough but Florida should win since Miami is two seasons away from being truly viable, then a bi week. They should be 2-0.

The most sickening opening schedule is held by LSU. Appy State, which I doubt they pull an upset this season after what they did to Michigan last year, Then Troy...really? Troy? Then North Texas...without Mean Joe Greene, just not quite a good team. SO they should be 3-0.

Missouri. Now the first game should be wild vs Illinois. If they can find a way to win this game like they did last year, then go on to beat SE Missouri State (Huh?) and then Nevada...who? they should be 3-0. If they lose to Illinois then they will drop hard in the polls into the teens for sure.

West Virginia, Villanova, East Carolina...honestly...that's a joke. I'm embarressed for my Big East. Then they go to Colorado, who will be improved this year and if they aren't careful, could sneak up on WVU. Especially if they think Colorado is the same as the two dogs they just played. Of Coarse, East Carolina, the Pirates I think, aren't that shabby, just don't have the depth to compete for 4 quarters.

Clemson. Alabama week 1. Major Gut Check and I admire this scheduling. after that...seriously...the Citadel...ugly game, then NC State. A very tough game. I don't see Clemson winning all 3 so they will drop into the Teens.

That leaves Texas at 10. Florida Atlantic, who I still think has Never beaten a Div I team...I'd have to fact check that...but FAU is Horrible at football. Then Utep...2-0, then Arkansas, Now Arkansas will take this game very seriously...they HATE Texas, but they don't have the horses to win this one this year. I give this to Texas.

So with Auburn and Wisconsin in good position to move up by being 3-0 after week 3, it is conceivable that the loser of the USC vs OSU game will actually DROP out of the top 10.

That's just crazy.
I could sense that happening. Heck, either teams national championship chances could be severly shattered(But not totally shot). Reason being for both schools this is the big marquee game on their schedules.

Ohio State has Ytown State, Ohio, and Troy on their non-conference. They better run the table in the conference if they even want an outside shot at the BCS title game again after the USC Game if USC Should win.

The other USC Non-Conference games are against Virginia, and Notre Dame. I can not possibly see that as a huge help to them. Virginia hasn't exactly been middle of the pack at worst in the ACC for awhile and Notre Dame got its biggest shot of reality last year and I think they're going to get an even bigger shot of reality this year. The team is not as good as some like to advertise it. Besides, ND's schedule sucks. Their best games are USC, Pitt, Purdue, and MSU. Yet at best they may go only between 4-8 and 6-6.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Ohio State has Ytown State, Ohio, and Troy on their non-conference. They better run the table in the conference if they even want an outside shot at the BCS title game again after the USC Game if USC Should win.
After the last two seasons, I believe that no matter what happens OSU will have to be undefeated to get to the title game this year. Any other conference with a 1 loss team will Trump OSU if they have a single loss on their schedule. The chances of USC and all the Big 12 teams and all the SEC Teams having more than one loss are so remote. Yes, a 2 loss team made it last year, but I don't see how OSU could possibly get in this season if they have an L anywhere on their schedule, even if it does come against USC.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #8
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Oklahoma plays Chattanooga...nevermind how Sick that makes me, then they play Cincinnati, which could be a tough game for 2 and 1/2 quarters, and then at Washington on 9/13. If it was Oregon, I'd worry for Oklahoma...but its not. They should be 3-0..
FINALLY. I can't knock the Buckeyes for an early season cupcake. BUT what more does one need to know about Oklahoma and that puss Bob Stoops then Chattanooga then Cincy.

On January 4, 2005 the "Greatest College Football Team in history" gave up a record 55 points, a record FIVE touchdown passes, 525 yards in LESS THAN 25 minutes.

Couldn't have happened to a better guy.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

If OSU beats USC it shouldn't be too long before OSU is ranked #1 yet again. OSU-USC will be a heck of a game as a possible BCS championship matchup and a highly likely Rose Bowl matchup.
Illinois certainly has the potential to falter and fail to duplicate the success unless their good players from last year wasn't just our 1st round steal.
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
After the last two seasons, I believe that no matter what happens OSU will have to be undefeated to get to the title game this year. Any other conference with a 1 loss team will Trump OSU if they have a single loss on their schedule. The chances of USC and all the Big 12 teams and all the SEC Teams having more than one loss are so remote. Yes, a 2 loss team made it last year, but I don't see how OSU could possibly get in this season if they have an L anywhere on their schedule, even if it does come against USC.
OSU wouldn't have gotten a title shot last year were it not for several teams above them faltering late as well. The backed into a NC butt-whooping because of other teams failures.

Should OSU lose to USC (and then manage to run the table the rest of the season), it's still very much possible that the Big 12 and SEC could also produce 1-loss season champs allowing for another back-door championship shot.
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote