Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #41
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,295 Posts
Default Re: Are the Steelers going to hit a "down time"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

What is really happening, is that we are freaked out because we no longer have a front line that can rocket the DL back a few yards everytime they run the ball.
I debate that. Faneca is not as good of an inline blocker as Kemo, but more agile and better technically. The guys on the other side of the ball are Professionals too, so nobody is really gonna rocket a lot of guys.

Smith, Kemo, Hartwig, Simmons, Colon are all 300lb plus guys that are explosive and should be able to move a pile and suited to short traps. Only Simmons can execute long pulls well. I personally think more zone blocking would help this line,especially since we have no true FB.

The schedule will cause more illusion of "down time" than talent or execution. The NFL is always tough, but this year will be tougher.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #42
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
Strong Contenders

QB. Big Ben
RBs, Parker Mendenhall Moore
WRs, Ward Holmes Sweed

We will score lots of points and our dominating defense will keep us in games.

Strong! I say!
No doubt, Big Ben is good. Ward has certainly proven his worth. Parker is a poor man's Barry Sanders. Given enough carries, he'll get you the big run, but on 3rd and 3, do you really want him getting the ball? Holmes is showing his worth as well.

And then there's the bolded names. Ummm, what part of unproven rookie has eluded you? These guys have proven less for you guys than Brady Quinn, Shaun Rogers or Corey Williams have for the Browns. You don't even know if they'll actually be able to make the team when final roster cuts come out.

Who's blocking for these guys?

Casey Hampton (you know, the guy who keeps your linebackers free to make plays) is (per Tomlin) out of shape. You have little depth on your D-line (as was shown last year). Your best player on D (Troy) is hurt (again.)

So long as your FO continues to neglect the lines, your chances get weaker and weaker. When you don't have depth on the D-line, teams are able to run all over you. Browns have proved that for years. When you don't concentrate on improving or (at worst) maintaining your lines, your offensive skill players are rendered less effective. Again, look at the Browns since their return.

Strong contenders? Nope. Contenders. Certainly.

Til the Browns beat you guys, the road to the AFCN Crown runs through Pittsburgh, no doubt about it. But you're making that road a little bit easier with the inactivity.
xfl2001fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #43
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

The Browns are not a good basis of comparison on any level with the Steelers. And you should probably read some of the other threads about the OL. There are more and more signs that the rumors of the Steelers oline's demise have been greatly exaggerated...

There MAY be some depth issues on the DL as well...maybe...

If's and maybe's were tinsel and holly, it's be Christmas every day, and the Browns would have several championships (instead of the zero the actually own) since Ike was president.

And do you know what the real deal is with Troy? Don't be so hasty...
Old 07-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #44
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
HTG...

Do you really think we are strong contenders? I would say contenders, but definitely not strong, based on our schedule and the questions about our lines.

What points you in the direction of strong contenders? I would love to believe the "strong" part... but just don't see it .... yet! Show Me The Light Sister!!
Ummmmm, Father - I didn't say the Steelers are "strong" contenders. I said they are a "logical" contender as things stand right now. I think I made the distinction perfectly clear in my post.

Quote:
Though I still believe the Steelers are a logical contender with their present corps, there are obviously issues which need to be addressed before I can say with an open mind (and heart) that they are a strong contender.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #45
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
The Browns are not a good basis of comparison on any level with the Steelers. And you should probably read some of the other threads about the OL. There are more and more signs that the rumors of the Steelers oline's demise have been greatly exaggerated...

There MAY be some depth issues on the DL as well...maybe...

If's and maybe's were tinsel and holly, it's be Christmas every day, and the Browns would have several championships (instead of the zero the actually own) since Ike was president.

And do you know what the real deal is with Troy? Don't be so hasty...
Didn't mean for it to sound like a comparison. It really has been more contrast than comparison with the two teams this last decade. The only reason why I tried to compare was to show what you guys could look like if the lines aren't addressed soon.

I went a little over the top with the analysis based on his going over the top (IMO). I know as much on Troy as you guys have posted. Basically just a tweaked hammy. There has been some concern (posted here) that it's not a good sign as he has struggled with injuries (some) these last few years.

As for the O-line, I understand what...reasons...are being given for struggling last year. But the fact is, until they prove they're over those struggles, they're not. (Kinda like the Browns being a better defense this year...not until it happens on the field.)
Old 07-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #46
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Ummmmm, Father - I didn't say the Steelers are "strong" contenders. I said they are a "logical" contender as things stand right now. I think I made the distinction perfectly clear in my post.
I think he confused you with Dino5Rings.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #47
Havik
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8843

I think we'll see a 10-6 record again which bothers me because this team should have 12-13 wins, with the best QB in the division, the best running backs, really good receiving corp especially with Sweed added, best tight end duo, and best defense. The problem is the weak o-line and poor special teams coverage. I think until those flaws are corrected we will still be a good team and probably see 9 to 11 wins a year but still be a cut below the Pats, Colts, and Chargers.
Havik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #48
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
I don't think we will hit the depths of the Kordell Stewart lead 1998 and 1999 seasons, but the team is aging and has no depth on both sides of the trenches...which isn't good.

The thing that gives me hope is that we are strong at all the skill positions on offense that may help us mask the OL issues....but then there is the defense...which was pathetic the 2nd half of the season last year.

The Defense is getting old...or just is perenially having injury problems. Woodley can help us in a big way with taking over the LOLB spot and holding it for the next 5 seasons. Woodley's body type reminds me of Kirkland's, so it wouldn't surprise me if his effectiveness lasts about as long as Levon's did.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the ownership as well. If Drunkenmiller takes over...even though he would leave Dan and his son running the team...don't think for a minute that a billioinaire would sit by idely while his new investment tanks.
That sums that up.

Excellent thread BTW. What I might add or question...What is in the pipeline?

The main reason we don't have any options for the O-line is because there were no options. If you only buy prime and they only sell choice or select you do what the Steelers did. Buy seafood.

At the FarmNCAA is the quality of the cattle going to support an uptrend or are recent shortages in this last draft not a red herring but a sign of a decline not unlike what we are seeing everywhere?

If they actually get serious about testing I would be betting on the latter.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #49
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
Strong Contenders

QB. Big Ben
RBs, Parker Mendenhall Moore
WRs, Ward Holmes Sweed

We will score lots of points and our dominating defense will keep us in games.

Strong! I say!
No way that Sweed belongs on this list before he's played game 1. I like the guy from what I hear ("oh really I didn't know I can't really see") and I hope he succeeds but he's an un-proven commodity at this point; particularly to contribute as a 4th receiver as a rookie.

Same for Mendenhall although to a lesser extent due to the difference in learning curve for the position. Bottom line is that he's still unproven at the next level.
Steely McSmash is offline   Reply With Quote