Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Training Camp

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Camp Notes 8/6/2008 - Specifically about Anthony Smith

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, August 06, 2008
Smith still doesn't get it

Anthony Smith returned to practice for the first time since the opening day of training camp and immediately showed what had been missing while he was out – the knucklehead factor.

Smith, who blasted Willie Reid twice on the opening day of camp in non-contact drills - hammered Hines Ward to the ground in a seven-on-seven non-contact drill Wednesday.

The coaches were not at all happy, with one yelling, "Are you out of your cussword deleted mind." It wasn't a question so much as a statement.

Smith was looked at as the team's free safety of the future as recently as last year's training camp, but it's becoming apparent that he just doesn't have the mentality to play the position.

Nailing the team's all-time receptions leader in a non-contact drill is no way to keep your roster spot.

Surprisingly enough, everybody practiced today, save PUP listers Troy Polamalu and Casey Hampton. Mike Tomlin did say today that he expects Polamalu and Hampton to return as early as next week.

I really like what I've seen of running back Mewelde Moore as a receiver. He catches the ball fluidly in space and never slows down. The Steelers haven't had a receiving option like him out of the backfield in some time.

Check back here tomorrow for my picks on youngsters to watch in Friday's game

We may like it when Smith does this in a game, but considering that he doesn't learn from the past, he doesn't appear to be very bright. Something tells me that Hines will get a piece of Smith before camp is over...if not by the end of the week.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5611
Default Re: Camp Notes 8/6/2008 - Specifically about Anthony Smith

Below is my impression of Pittsburgh coaches as they try to impress the finer points of football on young Mr. Smith.

GeneralRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Anthony Smith takes shot on ward

Was watching FSN pittsburgh Stan Savrans show from camp. It appears that Smtih laid Ward out in the 7 on 7 session this afternoon. Eyebrows were raised and there was a short interview with Ward...

"your surprised about it. Like I said normally I don't get hit like that until the pre-season game but like I said it is what it is I'm not going to sit there and harp about it, move on and continue to get better."

The report asked if he talked about it to Smith Ward's reply,

"I'll talk to him about it, well talk about it."

Non the less Ward did not look happy. They also commented that Smith has a history of hitting his own teammates like that at practice. Stan then said " it would be much better if he hit other players like that rather than chasing them down from behind into the end zone."

Time to grow up Anthony, you had your chance last year and you blew it, or should we say you were the one that was blown up.....Tom Terrific Brady schooled Smith but good. I guess that thorn is still wedged in his ass but good.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Nailing two of the WRs in NON-contact drills does not show a high level of intelligence. Let alone one of them be Ward.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: Anthony Smith takes shot on ward

This thread won't end well. That's why he'll never step foot on the field as long as Ryan Clark is on the roster.

I think this seals Smith's fate with his teammates and the fans. He'll be gone soon enough. Cut this worthless, undisciplined SOB.

Last edited by Edman; 08-06-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
Thanked 1,014 Times in 533 Posts
My Mood: Cool

It's like a bad dream that keeps happening over and over again. I kinda had a feeling he wouldn't learn.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,520 Times in 3,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
This thread won't end well..

You got that right

Anthony Smith is a living illustration of the line from Dumb and Dumber = Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Save it for Toofer, Anthony.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,423 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Want-Troy's-Hair View Post
....you had your chance last year and you blew it, or should we say you were the one that was blown up.....Tom Terrific Brady schooled Smith but good.
Yep, and that's the reason this is being made to be as big of an issue as it is.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I really believed Smith was going to show some improvement in his maturity level and have a great season, but I can see I was horribly wrong. I still believe this kid has a lot of God-given talent, but his douchebaggery seems to be overshadowing that talent. If the coaches can't get this erratic behavior under control, he needs to be given the heave-ho. (Arizona will pick him up as they pick up most of our rejects).

My wish for Smith? That Big Snack sits on his head.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote