Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #21
slashsteel

Member Number:
Default Re: If we still had Joey Porter and Clark Haggans...

Aaron Smiths return will solidify the problems we saw late in the year with the run D.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #22
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome To Smashmouth View Post
Joey Porter -- Lawrence Timmons -- James Farrior -- James Harrison

Woodley -- Hampton -- Smith

Woodley could have foregone the transition from DE to LB and stay at DE to replace Keisel, and we keep our locker-room leader in Porter (we sure could use him now with bettis gone)
A 6'2", 265-lb. DE in the 3-4? He'd get steamrolled on pretty much every running play. I also don't think we miss Porter all that much, especially for what Miami's paying him. $32 mil with $20 mil in guaranteed money is a bit steep for a guy that averages around 2 tackles and an assist per game anymore.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #23
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Would have to go with Harrison/Woodley. Toward the end (I know I will make enemies for this comment) Porter was all bark and no bite. Even in the AFC playoff game against Indy the only way he could get to the QB was by scheme blitzing. Basically a 2 against 1 with either the tackle or the RB having to choose who to block. Woodley is going to turn some heads this year!
Old 08-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #24
Havik
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8843

I would take Harrison/Woodley. Woodley had a total of 6 sacks with very limited playing time. He made so many plays in the playoff game against Jacksonville. James Harrison made the Pro Bowl and had 8.5 sacks. Porter only had 7 sacks in 2006, yes he got hurt and had to miss a couple games but you could tell at that point he was past his prime. Haggans is just average, he played well at the start of 2007 but disappeared toward the end of the season. I think we may have the best 3-4 OLB pair if Woodley plays as well as a starter as he did last year.
Havik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #25
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620

Haggans was pathetic in that playoff game. That little bowling ball RB blew by him on at least two occasions like he wasn't even there. Good riddance. It was time for Porter to go as well. I don't think he was as good as everyone keeps saying he was. He got blown out of the play every time if there was a blocker in front on a running play. The sacks are ok, but if there was a blocker on a blitz, Porter wasn't strong enough to get around them. Sorry, but this current corps of backers has a chance to be BEASTLY in comparison to those two. I think Foote is a weak link as well as he is not fast enough to keep up with anyone who breaks into the secondary. Lets hope Timmons pans out.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #26
Kaeg
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5784

I for one am VERY excited for this year's potential of Harrison/Woodley. Throw in Timmons and I think we have one hell of an under rated corps that is going to be special this year. I always loved Porter. I miss his chatter, but this is now and I think we are better off in the now with these guys.
Kaeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #27
ricksteelers55
Team Captain

Member Number: 3104

like our good friend peezy would say I GUARANTEE that in a couple of years we will have one of the top 3 best pass rushing D in the league.

Woodley is going to be our best pass rusher I swear
Timmons will emerge and be one solid player too
Davis is the next peezy and will be a good one too and for now we still have silverback who's going to put up good numbers again this year.

for those of you who like to bash our D,let me remind you that last year we still finished 1st in D even though we met teams like Patriots,Bengals(twice)Browns(twice) and Jaguars that obviously have all a lot of good offensive weapons.

So pleassssse stop bashing our D,yeah we had tough times last year stopping the run but let me remind you that we only had tough times once big Aaron got injured.

now this year will be the real test we will see if the D-Line is healthy what this D really worth.

and finally there's no way i could take Porter-Haggans instead of Woodley-Harrison even though Porter was my favorite player and i'm not a huuuge fan of james i still think he's a valuable player to this football organisation and until Davis is ready to step up as a starter he's going to be one of the leader of this D corps.

enjoy the rest of the camp

Steelers all the way
ricksteelers55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:43 PM   #28
meelanova
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3454

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
Well...

Porter/Haggans = 1 Superbowl Victory

Harrison/Woodley = 1 Playoff loss

The latter is very talented with a great upside, but I'll take the trophy!

Give them time. Harrison/Woodley havent even begun yet.
meelanova is offline   Reply With Quote