Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-27-2005, 06:25 PM   #51
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts
Default Re: ty law intercepting tom brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past

Maybe someday in the future (maybe this year) he will be able to rescue the Steelers when a playoff team shuts down the Pittsburgh running game.

NM
well that took long enough! you finally have come around to see my point of view!

no qb had proved they could win 13 games in a row until ben went out and did it.
no one had proved a rookie could have the highest passer rating in the 4th quarter until ben went and did it.

steelerfans know the bar is set high for him. not only because of the patriot monkey on their back but even bigger is all the accomplishments of terry bradshaw. but if you look back at bradshaws 1st 3 years in the league they were practically filled with turmoil. steelerfans have every right to hype up the potential of ben. plus the fact that everybody was calling the steelers season last year a fluke and just waiting for ben to fall on his face.

in preseason he told everybody he WASNT gonna have a sophmore slump just cause everyone expected him to do so. you gotta admire his moxy and leadership skills and the way a veteran team and coach rally behind him as if he were brett farve. that says alot. although im sure steelerfans will have to hear about the junior slump he will be facing next seson. or that hes "fragile". or that he rides a motorcycle.....
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:37 PM   #52
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
well that took long enough! you finally have come around to see my point of view!

no qb had proved they could win 13 games in a row until ben went out and did it.
no one had proved a rookie could have the highest passer rating in the 4th quarter until ben went and did it.

steelerfans know the bar is set high for him. not only because of the patriot monkey on their back but even bigger is all the accomplishments of terry bradshaw. but if you look back at bradshaws 1st 3 years in the league they were practically filled with turmoil. steelerfans have every right to hype up the potential of ben. plus the fact that everybody was calling the steelers season last year a fluke and just waiting for ben to fall on his face.

in preseason he told everybody he WASNT gonna have a sophmore slump just cause everyone expected him to do so. you gotta admire his moxy and leadership skills and the way a veteran team and coach rally behind him as if he were brett farve. that says alot. although im sure steelerfans will have to hear about the junior slump he will be facing next seson. or that hes "fragile". or that he rides a motorcycle.....
Tony ,

My point was never really about Ben - it was about Brady.

You said that 'running the football is just as important as throwing it' - so to me it is a more impressive acheivement to win with half your attack missing.

You asked me to prove Brady could/had done it - and I did.

As far as Ben goes - we could dig up old posts of mine going back to the pre-season where I stated that Ben wouldnt 'fall on his face'.

That was a media led party line - and the only people who follow that sort of logic are jealous rival fans and the sort of clueless fools who would vote Michael Vick into the pro-bowl.

Ben is way ahead of the accepted curve for a relatively young QB - I hope I dont have to keep repeating this every couple of months.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:57 PM   #53
Brady12
Team Captain

Member Number: 973

Yeah Suit, he threw 28 INT that first year.
Brady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #54
tony hipchest

that last post wasnt meant to insinuate that you felt he would fall on his face. just to point out that many felt he would and they were wrong. i WAS referring to that as a media driven statement and something most of the "haters" believe and you have definitely proven on this board that you are not a hater. brady has proven to come thru big time when is needed (which as youre list showed was more times than ben has faced). he really is the exception to the rule though. the only other qb who could be thrown in there is mcnabb. but then again it is philadelphias philosophy to not run the ball.

i think alot of bradys success is due to keeping opposing offenses off guard with the running game and more particularly the "3rd down back" conventional thinking would say that dillon is the main back and faulk is the 3rd down back. better than any other team the patriots mix this up. you will see dillon in there on 3rd and 2 and they pass to dillon. you will see faulk in there and they run with faulk. you can see either in their and they pass. patriots are also good at giving plenty to look at in game film and doing the complete opposite come gametime. im sure 'chick is a great chess player.

unpredicatability is key to success in todays nfl. steelers have borrowed slightly from this with the use of jerome and willie but i still hate how they call verron a 3rd down back.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:00 PM   #55
Brady12
Team Captain

Member Number: 973

Tony, you and living have an excellent heated battle going, i'd say something, but i love reading both of your posts lol.
Brady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:47 PM   #56
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady12
Tony, you and living have an excellent heated battle going, i'd say something, but i love reading both of your posts lol.
believe it or not i like having living post on this board and respect his opinion, and he sometimes makes me think. just sometimes though he is one of the more reasonable patfans i have encountered on several different messageboards.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:42 AM   #57
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
that last post wasnt meant to insinuate that you felt he would fall on his face. just to point out that many felt he would and they were wrong. i WAS referring to that as a media driven statement and something most of the "haters" believe and you have definitely proven on this board that you are not a hater. brady has proven to come thru big time when is needed (which as youre list showed was more times than ben has faced). he really is the exception to the rule though. the only other qb who could be thrown in there is mcnabb. but then again it is philadelphias philosophy to not run the ball.

i think alot of bradys success is due to keeping opposing offenses off guard with the running game and more particularly the "3rd down back" conventional thinking would say that dillon is the main back and faulk is the 3rd down back. better than any other team the patriots mix this up. you will see dillon in there on 3rd and 2 and they pass to dillon. you will see faulk in there and they run with faulk. you can see either in their and they pass. patriots are also good at giving plenty to look at in game film and doing the complete opposite come gametime. im sure 'chick is a great chess player.

unpredicatability is key to success in todays nfl. steelers have borrowed slightly from this with the use of jerome and willie but i still hate how they call verron a 3rd down back.
I certainly agree on running back scenario.

BB is willing to take losses in the running game in order to keep the opposition guessing - like you said with Faulk running on 1st down etc etc...

3rd down conversion is one of the most important areas of the game - since the return of a healthy Kevin Faulk we have done alot better in this area.

I am quite willing to accept that Brady is the exception to the rule - I dont think any other QB could step in and do what he does for New England.

I feel sorry for McNabb - you need to at least have the threat of a worthwile running game in order to maximise your passing opportunities - and McNabb doesn't get this.

I think Andy Reid has allowed the fact that his team was/is so talented to make him think that it was actually his game plan that was taking care of business.

The Patriots have had one dominant rushing year in the last 4 years and that was when Corey joined and we had a relatively fit O-Line - but that didnt stop BB mixing it up in the other years (The Antowain Smith years)- we still ran alot - just not with any great success.

Unpredictablility certainly is important in the post-season - BB could come out and run the most vanilla schemes and the other HC's would be going loco waiting for him to do something crazy.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:47 AM   #58
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady12
Tony and me are 'famous' for our heated debates.

We both know we are biased in favor of our own team - but we both try to be reasonable when we put our points out there.

I do enjoy talking football - and here on Steelersfever there are plenty of people who are willing to debate without resorting to name calling and other nonsense.

I started posting here before this season's pre-season because the Steelers and Pats have had a magnetic pull for each other in the last few years - and the way things are panning out this year - looks like we could be locking horns in the 1st round.

NM