Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #6411
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365
Default Re: Pens Tidbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Hmmm...first open practice is Wednesday, AND I'm on vacation. I might just have to take it in!

I'm starting to get pumped about the start of the season!
i cant wait either

i want to see how Janne Pesonen looks during the preseason, i hope it works out. It would make Shero look like a genius if he were to score at least 10-15 goals (hoping for more but ill take any production)
Old 09-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #6412
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Staal Happy To Move Back To Wing

Quote:
Jordan Staal proved he could be an asset in many roles for the Penguins.

Two years ago, he showed he could put the puck in the net with regularity while primarily skating as a winger on Evgeni Malkin’s line.

Last season, Staal displayed a solid two-way game that put him among the league’s top shutdown centers.

His offensive statistics dropped in that role. But, his contributions on both ends of the rink could not be quantified in numbers as the Penguins captured the Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference championships.

“I thought I did a great job in the role I had last year,” Staal said. “At the same time, I still wish I could get more opportunities on the offensive side of the puck. I believe that I am player that can do it; it’s just a matter of getting the opportunity. Hopefully, I can take advantage of it.”

It appears Staal will get that opportunity as he began Penguins training camp skating on the left wing on the second line with Evgeni Malkin and Petr Sykora – in the spot vacated by Ryan Malone.

“It seems like I am starting off on that line,” Staal said. “Hopefully, I can fill in his shoes and play even better he did.”

Regardless, Staal is happy to be reunited on a line with Malkin.

“I think every player who plays with him feels natural,” Staal said. “He sees the ice so well and he can find anyone. It’s just a matter of trying to get open and he will find you.”
didnt think they would move him back to wing. that pretty much finishes up our top 6 forwards.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #6413
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller View Post
Staal Happy To Move Back To Wing

didnt think they would move him back to wing. that pretty much finishes up our top 6 forwards.
Any chances we see Max Talbot as the number 3 Center?

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
Old 09-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #6414
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Any chances we see Max Talbot as the number 3 Center?
Yep.

It's a good move - Staal and Malkin worked very well together 2 years ago. He won't replace Malone's toughness, but if he's learned to use his size more effectively in front of the net, I think he'll be more productive offensively than Malone was.

I guess this means it's either Pesonen or Tank (Fedotenko) as the LW on Sid's line. Loser gets demoted to the 3rd line with Max and Dupuis. The 4th line center job is also open - Jeff Taffe and Ryan Stone will be competing for that job. Given the choice, I'd take Stone for his grit and his willingness to drop the gloves.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 09-18-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #6415
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Yep.

It's a good move, because obviously Staal had his best numbers playing with Malkin in his rookie season. He's replacing Ryan Malone, and while he may not be the physical force that Malone was, he has the size to play in front of the net and bang home garbage goals. I think that will end up being a very productive line.

I guess this means it's either Pesonen or Tank (Fedotenko) as the LW on Sid's line. Loser gets demoted to the 3rd line with Max and Dupuis. The 4th line center job is also open - Jeff Taffe and Ryan Stone will be competing for that job. Given the choice, I'd take Stone for his grit and his willingness to drop the gloves.
speaking of Pesonen-
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=8

it shows the line combos they had for the other day, it had Janne on the 4th line checking. i can see Pesonen creeping up on the the top line, every1 said he is catching on quick
Old 09-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #6416
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
speaking of Pesonen-
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=8

it shows the line combos they had for the other day, it had Janne on the 4th line checking. i can see Pesonen creeping up on the the top line, every1 said he is catching on quick
Yeah, I saw that on another hockey forum. Pesonen's speed certainly makes him a good choice in a checking role, but the question is does he want to play that role after being a 1st line talent in Finland? I personally think - now - that Tank would be a better fit on the top line playing the role that Staal is going to play on the 2nd line, but Pesonen may indeed push for it. We'll see - unfortunately they don't have much time to make their decisions since they only have 4 preseason games before heading to Europe.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #6417
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that on another hockey forum. Pesonen's speed certainly makes him a good choice in a checking role, but the question is does he want to play that role after being a 1st line talent in Finland? I personally think - now - that Tank would be a better fit on the top line playing the role that Staal is going to play on the 2nd line, but Pesonen may indeed push for it. We'll see - unfortunately they don't have much time to make their decisions since they only have 4 preseason games before heading to Europe.
i have heard that he is adjusting well to the North American game, so i guess he would fit well there, but with pesonen's speed i want to see him playing with crosby
Old 09-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #6418
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Hi guys im back its been a while for me, but im Excited to See Crosby, Dupuis, and Satan that line should produce more goals because Satan is a definite goal scorer. Our second line seems to be the more dominate one and ahhh PENS SEASON!!!
Old 09-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #6419
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
Hi guys im back its been a while for me, but im Excited to See Crosby, Dupuis, and Satan that line should produce more goals because Satan is a definite goal scorer. Our second line seems to be the more dominate one and ahhh PENS SEASON!!!
im not 100% sold on Satan yet, they said that in the scrimmages that crosby has set satan up for a couple of nice chances and he didnt finish. and if Satan cant finish then the Crosby line could be in trouble (lets face it dupuis wont score more than 20 even with crosby). Satan's production has sowly dropped year after year (i know he was on the islanders and their leading scorer had like 45 but it wasnt Satan).

i guess we will see tonight. our projected top six will be playing so we will see
Old 09-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #6420
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Quote:
im not 100% sold on Satan yet, they said that in the scrimmages that crosby has set satan up for a couple of nice chances and he didnt finish. and if Satan cant finish then the Crosby line could be in trouble (lets face it dupuis wont score more than 20 even with crosby). Satan's production has sowly dropped year after year (i know he was on the islanders and their leading scorer had like 45 but it wasnt Satan).

i guess we will see tonight. our projected top six will be playing so we will see
Good point. Satan seems to be losing his touch which would make this line in trouble, but in a recent article Crosby says he is going to take more shots instead of passing it. So i think as long as Satan can score and set up Crosby and Dupuis we will be ok.

Like i said our second line is the scoring line, Our first line is just an added plus.
Closed Thread