Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #51
RodWoodson26
Water Boy

Member Number: 3489
Default Re: Am I The Only One?

I think it's still a little early to tell if Tomlin is the right coach for this team or not, but you made some great points about the lack adjustments 2nd half of last game.

We will see what happens if this happens again. If the Ravens come with a lot of blitzes, will Tomlin be able to make in game adjustments and call for shorter drop backs for Ben and quick slant routes and more screen passes. They can also run draw plays on 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4.
RodWoodson26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #52
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

That thread written by me back in march was explaining that I felt like the Browns were passing the Steelers by in our division. I just put in that thread what I thought the Steelers needed to do to keep this AFC North tittle in Pittsburgh where it belongs. I dont think the Steelers did anything to help our team very much in this past aprils' draft, but only time will tell I know. And now Hometowngal wants to jump on me now I guess...

Doesnt really matter... we will see what happens to this offensive line and defensive lines tonight I would say. We are missing our best NT in years and our offensive line gives up sacks more than anyone in the league. Our rushing defense struggled last year at the end of the year without Aaron Smith and now we will see how bad they struggle when we havent got big snack in the middle of our d-line tonight.

But all in all... its all good so there is no hard feelings from my side... its just that my opinion usually doesnt count for much anyway...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #53
Elvis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodWoodson26 View Post
I think it's still a little early to tell if Tomlin is the right coach for this team or not, but you made some great points about the lack adjustments 2nd half of last game.

We will see what happens if this happens again. If the Ravens come with a lot of blitzes, will Tomlin be able to make in game adjustments and call for shorter drop backs for Ben and quick slant routes and more screen passes. They can also run draw plays on 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4.
Thanks Rod. I was a little frustrated with Tomlin after last weeks game and I know that I shouldnt hold one week against someone and I try not to do that, but when you sit there week after week and watch our $102 million franchise QB getting pounded.. it kind of gets to me. The guy aint gonna be able to hold up to that for very much longer and him already struggling with a shoulder problem as well... him being Big Ben.
They even talked about that shorter routes and and screen passes on the ESPN today, saying that the steelers should do that more against a more agressive defenses like the Eagles last week and now the Ravens tonight. Just seems to me like that Tomlin and our coaches should see that way before the guys behind that desk at ESPN does.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #54
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

You do realize that we went 15-1 with Big Snack out for most of the season, right?

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #55
Elvis
Banned

yeah... and we didnt have this offensive line in front of Big Ben either or am I wrong about that also? You can say what ya want but this team is not as good as that team was even with Ben being a rookie our defense was better than it is now..
Old 09-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #56
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
I am having a hard time figuring out how Duane has played in 4 games so far...
You mean the same Duane Brown who was completely owned by James Harrison in Week 1? Yeah, I'd REALLY want him starting for my team!

Quote:
That thread written by me back in march was explaining that I felt like the Browns were passing the Steelers by in our division. I just put in that thread what I thought the Steelers needed to do to keep this AFC North tittle in Pittsburgh where it belongs. I dont think the Steelers did anything to help our team very much in this past aprils' draft, but only time will tell I know. And now Hometowngal wants to jump on me now I guess...

Doesnt really matter... we will see what happens to this offensive line and defensive lines tonight I would say. We are missing our best NT in years and our offensive line gives up sacks more than anyone in the league. Our rushing defense struggled last year at the end of the year without Aaron Smith and now we will see how bad they struggle when we havent got big snack in the middle of our d-line tonight.

But all in all... its all good so there is no hard feelings from my side... its just that my opinion usually doesnt count for much anyway...
Well hey, if you didn't want to have your words come back and bite you in the ass, then perhaps you shouldn't have said them. You did, and you got called out on it. That's the way the cookie crumbles.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #57
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
yeah... and we didnt have this offensive line in front of Big Ben either or am I wrong about that also? You can say what ya want but this team is not as good as that team was even with Ben being a rookie our defense was better than it is now..

No, we had a couple people out.. Vincent, Hartings, and one other played that year.

However, two yeas later, still under Cowher, we had the SAME line that we had last year, except that Colon was a backup. yet, we were sacked MORE than last year. So the issue isn't the coaches, by virtue of two coaching staffs having the same result with the same line.

Our defense was better? Not on your life. Our defense SEEMED better because we were able to control the clock on offense by running the ball. Yet when it mattered the most, we couldn't stop the Patriots from scoring.

I have more hope in this defense now. Our secondary is quite a bit better than that one was. Our LB's are better. The line is a bit weaker, but I will venture, not by much.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #58
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
No, we had a couple people out.. Vincent, Hartings, and one other played that year.

However, two yeas later, still under Cowher, we had the SAME line that we had last year, except that Colon was a backup. yet, we were sacked MORE than last year. So the issue isn't the coaches, by virtue of two coaching staffs having the same result with the same line.

Our defense was better? Not on your life. Our defense SEEMED better because we were able to control the clock on offense by running the ball. Yet when it mattered the most, we couldn't stop the Patriots from scoring.

I have more hope in this defense now. Our secondary is quite a bit better than that one was. Our LB's are better. The line is a bit weaker, but I will venture, not by much.
Our defense is def. alot stronger with Harrison and Wood coming in and picking there rolls up quickly.

Our secondary is def. much improved after 2 seasons ago when Ike got benched for poor play, and no he makes excellent plays. Mcfadden has stepped up huge for Deshea and has earned the #2 Corner roll.
Polumalu is finally healthy and back to normal, you cant complain that he has played 3 games this season and has 3 INT's.

I feel its all heart at this point. The line was practically the same last season in the 38-7 win and they gave up only 2 sacks. So if the players adjust and go out with the mindset of domination and play like there getting paid millions, they can pull out a good game against the ratbirds.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #59
Elvis
Banned

Dont agree at all.. but that is everyone's opinion
Old 09-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #60
Elvis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
You mean the same Duane Brown who was completely owned by James Harrison in Week 1? Yeah, I'd REALLY want him starting for my team!

Well hey, if you didn't want to have your words come back and bite you in the ass, then perhaps you shouldn't have said them. You did, and you got called out on it. That's the way the cookie crumbles.
Crumble Your Own!