Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 10-01-2008, 03:28 AM   #21
redst3
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 480
Default Re: Props to Mewelde Moore

He definitely is worthy of praise. He had a great game for a guy off the bench, but let's not get carried away.

When does FWP come back?
Old 10-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #22
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

FWP is scheduled to be back after the BYE week but really if Moore is handles the load against the faguars and we play the bungals after that - would it be worth limiting FWP for the bungals to have him healthier for the Giants and what looks to be the toughest run of our schedule?

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #23
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
FWP is scheduled to be back after the BYE week but really if Moore is handles the load against the faguars and we play the bungals after that - would it be worth limiting FWP for the bungals to have him healthier for the Giants and what looks to be the toughest run of our schedule?
I hope they do. at this rate even moore can run for 100 against the bengals, and against the giants pass rush they'll need to establish a good running game, for ben's sake

But when willie comes back moore should still be involved in the offense and not only in pass protecting. the man is a playmaker with the ball

I already like him more than dookie
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #24
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Dookie is a stop gap at best. He will probably not be in football shape. Don't expect much from him early on. I still have not heard Gary Russell's name mentioned. At least he knows the playbook. Any word on him???

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #25
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
Dookie is a stop gap at best. He will probably not be in football shape. Don't expect much from him early on. I still have not heard Gary Russell's name mentioned. At least he knows the playbook. Any word on him???
Quote:
The Steelers officially added another running back to their 53-man roster today, promoting Gary Russell from the practice squad and re-signing him to a one-year contract.

Russell, an undrafted free agent in 2007, was with the team for the first two games this season but was released Sept. 20 because the Steelers needed an extra linebacker for special teams. He was added a day later to the practice squad after clearing waivers.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08275...d=steelers.xml

so that's moore, davis, russell, and dookie. and when willi comes back they are back to having 5 runningbacks
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #26
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

well this week davis could be out with the left ankle injury.... and they did promote russell to the team... but i would think that when willie comes back and davis 100% that russell prob go back to PS and dookie might be cut

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #27
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
nobody should be suprised how well mewelde played last night on the big stage against a fierce opponent.

i posted this when he was 1st signed-

1 of his best career games was his 1st monday night game (earning him "horse trailer" award), and another huge game came against the SB defending champion patriots. another was in a sunday night game i think.

mewelde is a willie clone (who can catch). he should be given the start next sunday night. remember it was willie who gashed jax last year and najeh who laid an egg.

mewelde, sunday night, big game, big stage...

dont be an ass tomlin.... DO IT!
Tony..

I completely agree. He needs to be starting this game with Dookie backing him up.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #28
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelwall View Post
Not impresssed at all, IMO sign a free agent, and keep with the 1, 2 punch.

Same here, outside of his reception in OT, I don't think he did that much.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #29
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
Same here, outside of his reception in OT, I don't think he did that much.
Stlrs4...

I gotta disagree. If you have Tivo or have it recorded... go back and watch some of those short runs. His leg drive picked up an extra yard or two for us a number of times.

Now I want the 1, 2 punch. But until Willie comes back, I think Mwelde can carry the speed aspect of that punch.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #30
UltimateFootballNetwork
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Stlrs4...

I gotta disagree. If you have Tivo or have it recorded... go back and watch some of those short runs. His leg drive picked up an extra yard or two for us a number of times.

Now I want the 1, 2 punch. But until Willie comes back, I think Mwelde can carry the speed aspect of that punch.
Hey Steeler fans,

I'm a Redskins fan but am also a Tulane grad and was coming to check out the scoop on Mewelde (big Big Ben fan too). I'm surprised to see not only the fan reaction but also Tomin's reaction. I was shocked to see Carey Davis in the game before Moore last week and can't believe Moore wasn't definitively named the starter for this week.

Let me provide a little of my own perspective having seen Moore since he was a freshman in college. Moore is not just a 3rd down back, he can be an every down back as he was in college and early in his career with the Vikings. Steeler fans will be lucky if he gets most of the carries vs Jax. Moore is not the fastest back, but there are few players with better vision, better change of direction and no one in the NFL has a better stiff arm.

Here's some background:

1) Moore has 273 career carries. 155 (56%) have come on 1st down for 757 yards, or 4.9 yards per carry. Think Moore doesn't have the power to run between the tackles? Go ahead and re-watch his first goal line carry vs the Ravens. He met Ray Ray 1-on-1 in the hole and Ray Ray went backwards.

2) Wondering what happens when Moore gets 20+ touches? Moore got 20+ touches 8 times in his career with the Vikings. In those games he averaged 139 yards from scrimmage and the Vikings were 7-1. And those mostly were the Brad Johnson/Travis Taylor Vikings.

3) You may have noticed that on the 24 yard catch in OT, Moore broke a ridiculous number of tackles and had a sweet stiff arm. Those were not flukes. Go to Moore's NFL.com page and check his other video highlights.

Compare Moore to Reggie Bush since they are the same type of player.

Career:

Mewelde Moore: 273 carries, 1304 yds, 4.8 ypc, 119 catches, 1130 yds, 9.5 ypr
Reggie Bush: 364 carries, 1329 yds, 3.7 ypc, 192 catches, 1416 yds, 7.4 ypr

For the sake of my fantasy team (and a lethal Steelers offense), I've been waiting to see the no huddle with Moore used in a Brian Westbrook role. Don't be surprised if/when Moore gets enough touches vs Jax if he creates a RB controversy. Moore just needs a chance, just like it took 4-5 years for Tiki Barber and Brian Westbrook to shake the "only a 3rd down back" label. I realize that I have a bias, but we'll hopefully get to see this weekend.

The Jags defense is NOT what it used to be. The Steelers can run on them. Good luck this weekend!
UltimateFootballNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote