Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Thanks for the Memories Lanny Fratere. You will be missed!!!!

http://post-gazette.com/pg/08275/916581-100.stm
Pirates' broadcaster Frattare retiring
Wednesday, October 01, 2008
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Lanny Frattare, the voice of the Pirates for 33 years, is retiring.

Frattare, who began broadcasting the team's games in 1976, has called the team games longer than any other announcer, including the venerable Bob Prince.

"In the 122-year history of this proud franchise, nobody has brought the action to Pirates fans longer than Lanny," Pirates president Frank Coonelly said. "Lanny's positive impact on the Pirates and the Pittsburgh community reaches far beyond the broadcast booth. Whether it was the countless number of appearances he made in the community on behalf of the Pirates or his two decade-long personal push to raise funds for mentally challenged individuals in our area, Lanny is part of the fabric of this community."

Coonelly said there is not timetable to announce Frattare's replacement.

"The decision to retire from the Pirates broadcast booth was something I have been thinking about and have discussed for some time, but a decision I did not make until after the final road trip of the season," Frattare said. "It was a difficult and emotional decision, but in the end, I decided it was time."

The Pirates will host a special on-field ceremony during the 2009 season to honor Frattare, however there are no details yet.

The remainder of the Pirates' broadcast team, which includes play-by-play announcer Greg Brown and color analysts Bob Walk, Steve Blass and John Wehner, will return for the 2009 season.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547
Default Re: Thanks for the Memories Lanny Fratere. You will be missed!!!!

I miss hearing Lanny call games. My last summer in New Orleans (2005) I would sometimes try to get KDKA on my radio so I could hear him call the game. I did manage to pick up a signal a few times but it was never clear.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote