Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #11
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Are you a believer now?

I agree. At first I was skeptical about Willie Parker. Maybe my skepticism was brought on by flashbacks of "Famous Amos", but compared to earlier in the season he is hitting the holes better. It seems that he has a better idea and understanding of where the holes me might be before he hits them. One of the things I would like to see happen in the playoffs are more screen passes to Willie Parker.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 01-03-2006 at 12:21 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:28 PM   #12
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Parker still has a ways to go before he is the sort of RB that the Steelers could game-plan around.

I still maintain that he has come a long way in a very short time - its a learning curve - look at how long Tiki Barber took to fully mature as an elite NFL RB.

I think that the Steelers will definitely look to the draft for a RB in the power running mold of Bettis.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:43 PM   #13
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

No doubt he still has room for improvement and I don't feel he would even doubt that. The guy hardly played at all last season and in college he never started. He's learning quick but I would not be shocked to see the Steelers draft a power/Bettis type back in the 3rd or 4th round. Drafting a RB in the 1rst or 2nd round would not be smart. IMO, we have other area's of concern heading into the draft before worrying about a RB in the first or second rounds. A WR over 6'1" with good hands being the most important in my opinion. CW has not impressed me at all this season and Quincy Morgan tends to drop the ball more times than not. We have a good QB that could be great in the future, why not get him the weapons needed? While I feel Ward and ARE are very capable WR's, a tall WR is something I would love to see this team pick up. For being a running team you would not have to worry about teams stacking eight in the box.

While I was not a fan of Plaxico Burress, opposing teams still had to take notice of him and game plan around him, you can't say that about CW or even ARE. I'm not taking anything away from ARE, but I felt he was more dangerous and better well suited when he was used in the third slot. Once again, I'm not taking anything away from ARE or Ward but I strongly believe this team needs a tall, deep threat WR. Even If you don't agree with me on that, what would it hurt exactly? Having had this conversation many times before It seems a good number do not feel we need a deep threat, but it would be nice to have one come playoff time when and If a team happens to stop your running game and you have a good QB and a deep threat type of WR that can change the tempo and face of game on one play. We don't have that on this team. Hopefully in the near future we will. Well, at least that's what I'm hoping for in the near future.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 01-03-2006 at 12:53 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #14
fergusonat
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 874

^I agree...the Steelers would definitely benefit from a major deep threat. Cedric Wilson and Quincy Morgan play one great game and then drop everything the next...they're inconsistent. That was a huge frustration in the Lions game...dropped passes all around. Granted, Big Ben was not putting the ball where it needed to be everytime, but the receivers need to improvise sometimes to keep the play going. I don't think Cedrick or Quincy have that versatility. Now Heath and Hines...they make a play work even when Ben throws the ball a little behind them or a little high.

As for Willie, I think the team has really appreciated him being able to break those big runs, but that's not what the Steelers are at the very core of it all. We need a grinding, wrecking-ball runningback to run down the clock and wear down the defense. Sometimes I wish Willie would keep the offense on the field a little longer, haha...
Old 01-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #15
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
No doubt he still has room for improvement and I don't feel he would even doubt that. The guy hardly played at all last season and in college he never started. He's learning quick but I would not be shocked to see the Steelers draft a power/Bettis type back in the 3rd or 4th round. Drafting a RB in the 1rst or 2nd round would not be smart. IMO, we have other area's of concern heading into the draft before worrying about a RB in the first or second rounds. A WR over 6'1" with good hands being the most important in my opinion. CW has not impressed me at all this season and Quincy Morgan tends to drop the ball more times than not. We have a good QB that could be great in the future, why not get him the weapons needed? While I feel Ward and ARE are very capable WR's, a tall WR is something I would love to see this team pick up. For being a running team you would not have to worry about teams stacking eight in the box.

While I was not a fan of Plaxico Burress, opposing teams still had to take notice of him and game plan around him, you can't say that about CW or even ARE. I'm not taking anything away from ARE, but I felt he was more dangerous and better well suited when he was used in the third slot. Once again, I'm not taking anything away from ARE or Ward but I strongly believe this team needs a tall, deep threat WR. Even If you don't agree with me on that, what would it hurt exactly? Having had this conversation many times before It seems a good number do not feel we need a deep threat, but it would be nice to have one come playoff time when and If a team happens to stop your running game and you have a good QB and a deep threat type of WR that can change the tempo and face of game on one play. We don't have that on this team. Hopefully in the near future we will. Well, at least that's what I'm hoping for in the near future.
well if lendale white is sitting there when we are picking in the first i say **** all the other needs cause with lendale white we have our future at running back and him and he'll help take a lot of pressure off of big ben. i do agree that we need to draft a tall wr in the second or third
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:08 PM   #16
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,076 Times in 2,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa
well if lendale white is sitting there when we are picking in the first i say **** all the other needs cause with lendale white we have our future at running back and him and he'll help take a lot of pressure off of big ben. i do agree that we need to draft a tall wr in the second or third
what if lendale white has as much impact as ron dayne or t.j. duckett? or a duce staley and a verron haynes (no slam on the injured one and the one buried on the depth chart) a 1st round draft pick is a big price to pay for a what if. are lendales talents and numbers inflated being surrounded by bush and leinart? i dont know cause i dont follow them much.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote