Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default National Review's Christopher Buckley comes over to Obama

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ndorses-obama/

No, hell has not frozen over, but a Buckley is backing a Democrat for president.

Christopher Buckley, the son of the late conservative icon William F. Buckley, said Friday he's decided to back Barack Obama's White House bid, the first time in his life he will vote Democrat.

“It’s a good thing my dear old mum and pup [sic] are no longer alive. They’d cut off my allowance," Buckley, a columnist for the conservative National Review, wrote on the Web site The Daily Beast Friday.

Buckley, who praised McCain in a New York Times Op-Ed earlier this year and defended the Arizona senator's conservative credentials against wary talk-radio hosts, said McCain is no longer the “real” and “unconventional” man he once admired.

"This campaign has changed John McCain," Buckley wrote. "It has made him inauthentic. A once-first class temperament has become irascible and snarly; his positions change, and lack coherence; he makes unrealistic promises, such as balancing the federal budget 'by the end of my first term.' Who, really, believes that?

"Then there was the self-dramatizing and feckless suspension of his campaign over the financial crisis," Buckley added. "His ninth-inning attack ads are mean-spirited and pointless. And finally, not to belabor it, there was the Palin nomination. What on earth can he have been thinking?"

But Buckley made clear he's not just voting against McCain, praising Obama for his "first-class temperament and first-class intellect."

"Obama has in him—I think, despite his sometimes airy-fairy 'We are the people we have been waiting for' silly rhetoric—the potential to be a good, perhaps even great leader. He is, it seems clear enough, what the historical moment seems to be calling for," Buckley wrote.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: National Review's Christopher Buckley comes over to Obama

Christopher Buckley is one of my favorite writers (I've read every novel he's written) and this doesn't entirely surprise me. He's not as conservative as his parents, and definitely has his own perspective.

However, I'm afraid he'd be equally as disappointed had he seen the ads Obama is running in Ohio. They are not bending the truth, they are complete fabrications. Shameful that two truly honorable men have sold out to the politicos and sacrificed their principles solely in the name of "winning at any cost".
Old 10-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

And a 18 year dem senator voting for McCain. I think that is more of a testament then Buckley voting for O.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
And a 18 year dem senator voting for McCain. I think that is more of a testament then Buckley voting for O.
But Chuck Hagel's wife is voting for Obama...

It goes on and on and on....
Old 10-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

What amazes me more, is that he seems surprised by those things.

Does anyone remember when McCain wasn't going to be involved in the debate against Bush, then Chose to be... but had to be on a TV instead? Then, his cameraman didn't give him enough headroom, and he looked honestly.... like Max Headroom??

Does anyone remember when he decided to support gun control in Oregon? He lost my support then and there... I actually voted for him in the 2000 primaries.

I guess no one remembers when he snarled and was irascible towards Schwarzenegger's wife (quite ugly actually) as he was walking to a stage.

Why would he be surprised by all these things now?
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:59 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

The way Bush marginalized and mistreated McCain in 03 was shameful.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:47 AM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,849 Times in 2,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post

However, I'm afraid he'd be equally as disappointed had he seen the ads Obama is running in Ohio. They are not bending the truth, they are complete fabrications. Shameful that two truly honorable men have sold out to the politicos and sacrificed their principles solely in the name of "winning at any cost".
you gotta think though, the ads you are seeing are primarilly targetting ignorant bungle and brownfans who can easilly be convinced their favorite football teams are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

its a much different campaign out here in new mexico. while we are small fry we are consistantly as "battleground" of a state as it gets, and as consistantly up for grabs for either party.

all the obama ads out here are either biographical (not even mentioning mccain) or simply debunking some of mccain camps lies about his stance (such as taxing the poor-middle class). if you saw the ads out here you would think this has been a clean race. then again, NM's dont put up with none of the bs, and will turn on a candidate on a dime. im sure the candidates have proper research and DD to support this.

oddly enough, mccain has forgotten about his neighbors and runs very few ads here. (big...no HUGE mistake).
Old 10-12-2008, 08:24 AM   #8
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im sure the candidates have proper research and DD to support this.
Well, one of them, anyhow. Here in NE PA, the McCain ads are all bile and fear, the Obama ads are about restoring lost jobs.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:40 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Obama's ads in NEO are all attack (inaccurate to grossly misleading), and McCain is sending the strong "Change Message".