Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,974 Times in 2,869 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Rats deserting the sinking ship

Florida Republicans cast blame as McCain trails in polls
John McCain's plunging poll numbers in Florida have top Republicans second-guessing and starting to distance themselves from the campaign.

BY MARY ELLEN KLAS AND MARC CAPUTO
MEKLAS@MIAMIHERALD.COM
For the first time in more than a decade, Florida Republicans are considering the almost unthinkable: Their presidential nominee could lose the state.

The economy, an unpopular president, a strong opponent, and the inability of John McCain to reverse poll numbers despite repeatedly revising his strategy has top state Republicans looking for someone to blame.

''There are a lot of folks who have never been in a foxhole before and are clearly nervous,'' said Brian Ballard, a major McCain fundraiser. ``There is some finger-pointing going on a little bit too soon.''

Even Gov. Charlie Crist, who helped deliver Florida for McCain during the primary, said he will be spending more time minding the state's weak economy than campaigning for the Arizona senator in the final weeks before Election Day.

''When I have time to help, I'll try to do that,'' Crist said last week, after he flew around the state with McCain running mate Sarah Palin. Saturday, he skipped a McCain football rally and instead went to Disney World.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/poli...8/story/722731.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,371 Times in 4,307 Posts
Default Re: Rats deserting the sinking ship

its not mccains fault. its his top advisors and campaign managers.

something tells me that if mccain loses, they will be looking for work in the bengals front office.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Tony,

I don't know. I tend to put it on a bit of both.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/13/op...in&oref=slogin

Fire the Campaign
By WILLIAM KRISTOL

It’s time for John McCain to fire his campaign.

He has nothing to lose. His campaign is totally overmatched by Obama’s. The Obama team is well organized, flush with resources, and the candidate and the campaign are in sync. The McCain campaign, once merely problematic, is now close to being out-and-out dysfunctional. Its combination of strategic incoherence and operational incompetence has become toxic. If the race continues over the next three weeks to be a conventional one, McCain is doomed.

He may be anyway. Bush is unpopular. The media is hostile. The financial meltdown has made things tougher. Maybe the situation is hopeless — and if it is, then nothing McCain or his campaign does matters.

But I’m not convinced by such claims of inevitability. McCain isn’t Bush. The media isn’t all-powerful. And the economic crisis still presents an opportunity to show leadership.

The 2008 campaign is now about something very big — both our future prosperity and our national security. Yet the McCain campaign has become smaller.

What McCain needs to do is junk the whole thing and start over. Shut down the rapid responses, end the frantic e-mails, bench the spinning surrogates, stop putting up new TV and Internet ads every minute. In fact, pull all the ads — they’re doing no good anyway. Use that money for televised town halls and half-hour addresses in prime time.

And let McCain go back to what he’s been good at in the past — running as a cheerful, open and accessible candidate. Palin should follow suit. The two of them are attractive and competent politicians. They’re happy warriors and good campaigners. Set them free.

Provide total media accessibility on their campaign planes and buses. Kick most of the aides off and send them out to swing states to work for the state coordinators on getting voters to the polls. Keep just a minimal staff to help organize the press conferences McCain and Palin should have at every stop and the TV interviews they should do at every location. Do town halls, do the Sunday TV shows, do talk radio — and invite Obama and Biden to join them in some of these venues, on the ground that more joint appearances might restore civility and substance to the contest.

The hope for McCain and Palin is that they still have pretty good favorable ratings from the voters. The American people have by no means turned decisively against them.

The bad news, of course, is that right now Obama’s approval/disapproval rating is better than McCain’s. Indeed, Obama’s is a bit higher than it was a month ago. That suggests the failure of the McCain campaign’s attacks on Obama.

So drop them.

Not because they’re illegitimate. I think many of them are reasonable. Obama’s relationship to the Rev. Jeremiah Wright is, I believe, a legitimate issue. But McCain ruled it out of bounds, and he’s sticking to that. And for whatever reason — the public mood, campaign ineptness, McCain’s alternation between hesitancy and harshness, which reflects the fact that he’s uncomfortable in the attack role — the other attacks on Obama just aren’t working. There’s no reason to think they’re suddenly going to.

There are still enough doubts about Obama to allow McCain to win. But McCain needs to make his case, and do so as a serious but cheerful candidate for times that need a serious but upbeat leader.

McCain should stop unveiling gimmicky proposals every couple of days that pretend to deal with the financial crisis. He should tell the truth — we’re in uncharted waters, no one is certain what to do, and no one knows what the situation will be on Jan. 20, 2009. But what we do know is that we could use someone as president who’s shown in his career the kind of sound judgment and strong leadership we’ll need to make it through the crisis.

McCain can make the substantive case for his broadly centrist conservatism. He can explain that our enemies won’t take a vacation because the markets are down, and that it’s not unimportant that he’s ready to be commander in chief. He can remind voters that even in a recession, the president appoints federal judges — and that his judges won’t legislate from the bench.

And he can point out that there’s going to be a Democratic Congress. He can suggest that surely we’d prefer a president who would check that Congress where necessary and work with it where possible, instead of having an inexperienced Democratic president joined at the hip with an all-too-experienced Democratic Congress, leading us, unfettered and unchecked, back to 1970s-style liberalism.

At Wednesday night’s debate at Hofstra, McCain might want to volunteer a mild mea culpa about the extent to which the presidential race has degenerated into a shouting match. And then he can pledge to the voters that the last three weeks will feature a contest worthy of this moment in our history.

He’d enjoy it. And he might even win it.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,371 Times in 4,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post

Fire the Campaign
By WILLIAM KRISTOL

It’s time for John McCain to fire his campaign.
- FINALLY!

although i do think i remember Kristol applauding their tactics after the 1st debate.

speaking of gimmicky (a term ive already applied to their tactics) even joe biden was calling them a bunch of "mularkey, just mularkey" last week.

i know i have been pigeonholed as a mccain basher on this board, but thats simply not the case. my critisizm has been more reserved for the race he is running. hes playing not to lose as opposed to playing to win. he's using the proverbial "prevent defense" and it is costing him big time.

this has been my stance from the get-go.

from turning obama into a rock star to allowing obamas veep selection to force their hand, they have been screwing up.

not only was the selection of palin bad and shortsighted (and about as transparent as cellophane) her handling was even worse. "repunzel, repunzel, throw me your hair."

was it really mccains idea to propose cancelling the first debates so he could hop on a white horse and ride off to washington in a suit of shining armor? if it was, his advisors shoulda advised him better. that completely backfired and made him look panicky and yes... erratic.

and these are just the big ones i can think of, off the top of my head. there are plenty more examples where a mccain camp manager or advisor opening their mouth to the media and completely stuck their foot in it (many of which i have already cited in multiple threads around here).

the "straight talk express" was put in neutral about 2 months ago.

-Atlanta Dan did NOT approve this message

Quote:
Preacher Re: Rats deserting the sinking ship
Tony,

I don't know. I tend to put it on a bit of both.
if that is the case, then mccain is a little less honorable and capable than i had originally believed.

as for his camp arent these the same people bush used to run the nasty smear against mccain in '00?

i would love to read his memoirs if he loses. im willing to bet him and palin "maintain" a rather cold and perhaps bitter relationship if that is the case.