Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-16-2008, 09:57 AM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts
Default Re: Sciencedebate 2008

and can i get a shot out for Joe Camel?

RIP
Old 10-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #22
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Very true. But how do you measure the effectiveness of teachers or schools? You test to measure but that has a consequence. I get in this fight a lot, not that this is a fight here. Someone defends a proposal for what it is designed to do and refuses to discuss what other, unintended but predictable things it will also do. Like vouchers.
I think the tests are a necessary evil because otherwise, we don't have a standard by which to teach. However, it seems that the emphasis has become the testing and not the classroom and the teacher. I had teachers that used extraordinary measures outside of what I would call "typical" classroom instruction. Today, some of those things are unheard of - like playing games in the classroom to better understand theories etc.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:34 AM   #23
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,074 Times in 2,096 Posts
My Mood: Innocent

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
I think the tests are a necessary evil because otherwise, we don't have a standard by which to teach. However, it seems that the emphasis has become the testing and not the classroom and the teacher. I had teachers that used extraordinary measures outside of what I would call "typical" classroom instruction. Today, some of those things are unheard of - like playing games in the classroom to better understand theories etc.
If you were told your raise was based on one aspect of your job that's what you would focus on. Any problem that has an easy solution has already been fixed.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #24
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

We are raising a nation of nincompoops:

http://www.ohio.com/editorial/commentary/31091544.html

Forget Gettysburg at our peril
By George F. Will

Published on Thursday, Oct 16, 2008

GETTYSBURG, Pa.: In 1863, 11 major roads converged on this town. Which is why history did, too.

The founding of the American nation was the hinge of world history: Popular sovereignty would have its day. The collision of armies here was the hinge of American history: The nation would long endure. Which is why 200 or so generous private citizens recently gathered here for a quiet celebration of their gift to the nation — a sparkling new Museum and Visitor Center that instructs and inspires.

In 1997, Bob Kinsley, a contractor in York, Pa., decided that something should be done about the decrepit facilities for explaining the battle and displaying its artifacts. His determination survived more than 50 public meetings and three congressional hearings, and two years of resistance from rival bidders, some Gettysburg merchants, and people who think the private sector takes up space that the public sector should fill.

He started the Gettysburg Foundation and hired Bob Wilburn, who had administered Colonial Williamsburg. Wilburn raised the $103 million that built the new center, which includes a theater for the scene-setting film narrated by Morgan Freeman, and the Cyclorama, the circular painting that depicts Pickett's Charge on the battle's third and final day.

Americans today are so constantly pummeled by the sensory blitzkrieg — the sights and sounds of graphic journalism and entertainment — they can hardly fathom how the Cyclorama dazzled viewers when displayed in 1884. Magnificently restored and presented, it is still stunning.

The battle here was fought in and around a town that continued to grow. At one point there was a Stuckey's restaurant where the second day of fighting raged. The Gettysburg Foundation's work includes recovering battle sites from urban encroachments.

It recently bought the 80-acre Spangler farm. The house, which was behind Union lines, was used as a hospital for both sides. Gen. Lewis Armistead of Virginia died there. He received his mortal wounds during Pickett's Charge, leading the deepest penetration of Union lines on Cemetery Ridge at the spot now known as ''the high-water mark of the Confederacy.''

Recently, a Gold Star mother finally visited Gettysburg, after driving by it often en route to visit the Arlington, Va., grave of her son, who was killed in Iraq. She was especially moved by these words from a Gettysburg newspaper published four days after the battle: ''Every name . . . is a lightning stroke to some heart, and breaks like thunder over some home, and falls a long black shadow upon some hearthstone.''

Gettysburg still stirs, but not as it used to, or should.

In Intruder in the Dust, William Faulkner wrote: ''For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it's still not yet two o'clock on that July afternoon in 1863, the brigades are in position behind the rail fence, the guns are laid and ready in the woods and the furled flags are already loosened to break out and Pickett himself with his long oiled ringlets. . . . '' Faulkner's sentence continued; you have just read less than half of it. To continue in his style:

Ours would be a better nation if boys and girls of all regions, and particularly the many high school and even college graduates who cannot place the Civil War in the correct half-century, could be moved, as large numbers of Americans used to be, by the names of Gettysburg battlefield sites, such as Devil's Den, the Peach Orchard, the Wheatfield, Culp's Hill and Little Round Top, instead of being like the visitor here who said it is amazing that so many great battles, such as Antietam and Chickamauga and Shiloh, occurred on Park Service land; and another visitor who doubted that the fighting here really was fierce because there are no bullet marks on the monuments.
Ten years ago, this column asserted that disrespect for the national patrimony of Civil War battlefields should be a hanging offense, and said: ''Given that the vast majority of Americans have never heard a shot fired in anger, the imaginative presentation of military history in a new facility here is vital, lest rising generations have no sense of the sacrifices of which they are beneficiaries.''

Today, at an embarrassing moment of multiplying public futilities, private efforts, in collaboration with the National Park Service, have done something resoundingly right that will help a normally amnesiac nation to long remember.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will is a Washington Post columnist. He can be e-mailed at georgewill@washpost.com.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #25
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I am 54. I've lived almost my entire life in Pennsylvania, but I'd never been to Gettysburg until this spring.

It is a must-visit destination. 145 years after the fact, it is hallowed ground, in the most profound sense. It is impossible go to Gettysburg and to remain unmoved.

I could go on, but there are no words to describe it. You really have to go there. When you do, the only thing you could say about it is, "Oh.... now I understand." because that's how I felt.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #26
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,074 Times in 2,096 Posts
My Mood: Innocent

Could you see the battle from the KFC?

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #27
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
If you were told your raise was based on one aspect of your job that's what you would focus on. Any problem that has an easy solution has already been fixed.
That's my point the school system has made it about the tests, not the students. There are teachers out there being handcuffed because they need to prepare these kids for a test, not reality - not the world.

And just like if my raise was on one aspect of my performance, the others would suffer. And that's where we are in today's educational system.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #28
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
I am 54. I've lived almost my entire life in Pennsylvania, but I'd never been to Gettysburg until this spring.

It is a must-visit destination. 145 years after the fact, it is hallowed ground, in the most profound sense. It is impossible go to Gettysburg and to remain unmoved.

I could go on, but there are no words to describe it. You really have to go there. When you do, the only thing you could say about it is, "Oh.... now I understand." because that's how I felt.
I grew up in MD just a short drive from Gettysburg, Antietam, Sharpsburg, and other Civil War battle grounds. The things that you can see and the historical value of it is not something that can be taught in a classroom.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #29
GutterflowerSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
I grew up in MD just a short drive from Gettysburg, Antietam, Sharpsburg, and other Civil War battle grounds. The things that you can see and the historical value of it is not something that can be taught in a classroom.
Ditto - we grew up in the same county School field trips were to places like The Smithsonian, Harper's Ferry, WV - Jamestown and Williamsburg, VA. I live in the town that houses the National Museum of Civil War Medicine. I feel lucky to have grown up in an area so steeped in history, especially because they're all day trips and fun to do when my niece and nephew visit.

Stlrtruck, have you been to Antietam on 4th of July for the fireworks?

~Sig created by SteelDuck~
GutterflowerSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:22 AM   #30
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutterflowerSteel View Post
Ditto - we grew up in the same county School field trips were to places like The Smithsonian, Harper's Ferry, WV - Jamestown and Williamsburg, VA. I live in the town that houses the National Museum of Civil War Medicine. I feel lucky to have grown up in an area so steeped in history, especially because they're all day trips and fun to do when my niece and nephew visit.

Stlrtruck, have you been to Antietam on 4th of July for the fireworks?
Nah, never made it that far. But I might be up that way for the 4th so that might be something to check out next year - if we can make it up.