Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
View Poll Results: You can only pick ONE player for your new Steelers Expansion team, who is it?
Willie Parker 2 2.67%
LaMarr Woodley 22 29.33%
Hines Ward 7 9.33%
James Harrison 8 10.67%
Troy Polamalu 28 37.33%
Rashard Mendenhall 2 2.67%
Casey Hampton 3 4.00%
Santonio Holmes 3 4.00%
Aaron Smith 0 0%
James Farrior 0 0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #31
fred
Water Boy

Member Number: 7127
Default Re: If you were starting the Steelers from scratch and could keep only ONE player...

I took Harrison because it all starts with D-fense! and He is a dominator...
fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #32
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741
Default Re: If you were starting the Steelers from scratch and could keep only ONE player...

If we are talking about players in their prime, then I'd go with Casey Hampton as a cornerstone to build the rest of the defense around.

If we're talking about players now...holy crap. Your best players are getting up there in years (Ward, Smith, Hampton), have had injury problems (Troy in particular) or may be a product of significant talent around them (Holmes has Ward, Parker, Ben, the LB's have a great 3-4 DL with good LBs around them to draw attention.)

I don't like your poll sir. LOL
Old 10-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #33
IamTheSteelGod
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1064
My Mood: Yeehaw

If they where all rookies this season or last then I would most deffo choose Hines.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #34
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
may be a product of significant talent around them (Holmes has Ward, Parker, Ben, the LB's have a great 3-4 DL with good LBs around them to draw attention.)

That's funny lol - who is benefiting from who? Holmes benefiting from Ward? Other way around? All a product of Ben's greatness? Ben is a product of the skill positions around him? Willie is most definitely not a product of the O line lol... That great 3-4 D-Line you're talking about was two men down a good portion of this season and the LBers still produced therefore that's bogus... I understand what you're saying, but the only situation I could see where possibly this player is a product of the talent around him is Holmes. I don't believe that, but that is the only scenario I see which your theory could have some credit. Ward has been producing long before Ben came, Ben has produced with our #3 and #4 WRs starting before, Parker has had to deal with a bad O-Line... And as I said, even through injury this year to the D-Line the LBers have performed MORE than well. I do agree with you on age and injury. Sorry lol, that was unnecessary but I felt a need to break that down (If only for myself).
Old 10-20-2008, 02:12 PM   #35
Avoid LLoyd1975
Starter

Member Number: 376

I almost couldn't vote. I went with Troy "Superfly Jimmy Snuka" Polamalu. Arguably the best at his position. The Steelers have always had great pass rushing Linebackers, so that kills Woodley and Harrison. But never have we had a Strong Safety such as Troy, that can line up any where on the entire field and still come into position to make the play. He is the most versatile player on our defensive side of the ball...HANDS DOWN.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:34 AM   #36
steelerstrade
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 10365

So does the recent injury to Troy cause some people to want to change their vote? Over 5 concussions in his life now...
I started out with my Terrible Towel but want to trade for Steelers items you have! The goal is to complete "up-trades" in the hope of achieving Pittsburgh Steelers Tickets! Check the site out and make an offer using whatever you have laying around!!
steelerstrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:19 AM   #37
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post

That's funny lol - who is benefiting from who? Holmes benefiting from Ward? Other way around? All a product of Ben's greatness? Ben is a product of the skill positions around him? Willie is most definitely not a product of the O line lol... That great 3-4 D-Line you're talking about was two men down a good portion of this season and the LBers still produced therefore that's bogus... I understand what you're saying, but the only situation I could see where possibly this player is a product of the talent around him is Holmes. I don't believe that, but that is the only scenario I see which your theory could have some credit. Ward has been producing long before Ben came, Ben has produced with our #3 and #4 WRs starting before, Parker has had to deal with a bad O-Line... And as I said, even through injury this year to the D-Line the LBers have performed MORE than well. I do agree with you on age and injury. Sorry lol, that was unnecessary but I felt a need to break that down (If only for myself).
Yeah, I'm late getting to this. It happens.

I truly believe (in the case of your Linebackers) that they are good individual linebackers. In this specific case, the total effect is greater than the sum of the individual pieces.

I think that Woodley would be pretty good on any team. Harrison too. Etc...However, having those guys together with a Troy P, Hampton, DE Smith etc...well, I don't need to tell you how good they are.

The fact that there are injuries in the more "key pieces" of your defense (IMO) gives credence to the fact that they are good, but a big part of that is how good the other (healthy) guys around them are as well. Teams still can't key on Harrison, because there are three other guys (and some behind them in the DC) who can make you pay for ignoring them.

It's also a huge tribute to Coach L. because his schemes are excellent and your guys are almost always in the right place in the right time.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #38
SunshineMan21
Starter

Member Number: 9294

I chose Troy because strong safety is such a tough position to fill with a quality player, and he basically changes the look of a whole defense.

I also considered Woodley and Harrison . . . our offensive skill position players are good but in my opinion you build around lines, quarterback, and defense.
SunshineMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote