Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #11
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Mike Nolan fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I, too, am delighted for Mike Singletary. Unfortunately, however, the Niners aren't chock full of offensive talent other than Gore, so it may be a long season for him. I hope the Niners big cheeses give him a couple of years to rebuild - I think he has what it takes to turn that team around with a little help from the draft and FA.
I sure hope he can, but I'm a little skeptical. The coaching is only half the 49ers' problem -- their front office has been completely incompetent ever since Eddie DeBartolo lost control of the team.

The draft has been a huge problem. For literally six years in a row from 2001-06, their first-round pick got a ton of money and was either a total bust or left the team through FA as soon as his rookie contract was over. The rest of their high picks, they mostly seem to just spend on a revolving door of offensive linemen.

Not that there aren't some elements in place -- they've got an adequate offensive line, a great RB, and at least a couple of defensive backs that don't get burned or flagged for a 40-yard pass interference penalty on every play (anyone who watched the Niners a couple years ago will wince in pain at just how unwatchable this made their games).

But the truth is, they've got no quarterback and only half a defense, and that just leaves too many holes. Their defense strikes me as the biggest problem, so maybe a guy like Singletary is the perfect person to come in and figure out how to help that. I sure hope he can without the FO screwing things up hopelessly in the meantime -- good luck.
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Singletary has a Pittsburgh connection. His sister Veronica lives in WIlkinsburg (or did in the 1990s, don't know if she still does).
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
And how! (Whoops - there I go ogling again. My bad).

I, too, am delighted for Mike Singletary. Unfortunately, however, the Niners aren't chock full of offensive talent other than Gore, so it may be a long season for him. I hope the Niners big cheeses give him a couple of years to rebuild - I think he has what it takes to turn that team around with a little help from the draft and FA.

Singletary has the name and the reputation, even if it is as a player. I think they will give him 2 years anyway.
We'll have to wait and see how good he is with the draft.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #14
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think that after he is able to draft some of "his" players he will get that team to be competitve again.. i mean he can coach, look at what he did with patrick willis in his rookie season, and is even more of a beast this yr

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #15
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
i think that after he is able to draft some of "his" players he will get that team to be competitve again.. i mean he can coach, look at what he did with patrick willis in his rookie season, and is even more of a beast this yr
I think Nolan's problem was that he's great at developing talented players, but he can't draft for shit and neither could anyone else in the front office.

Add that to a teamwide philosophy of trying to fix your biggest shortcomings immediately with overpriced free agents (and thereby leaving lots of medium-sized shortcomings unaddressed), and you've got a recipe for disaster. Which is basically what's been going on here for the majority of the last decade.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #16
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,696 Times in 1,766 Posts

Bottom line is Nolan sucked as a head coach.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #17
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Bottom line is Nolan sucked as a head coach.
Don't know about that. He actually accomplished some positive good, but he was not the right guy to lead that team out of the abyss. Nolan will probably have some success with a different team in a different scenario, but his player management skills just did not seem strong enough for carrying a massive rebuilding effort to completion.

I bet he goes and becomes coach of some team like the Chargers who have a lot less problems but can't find a coach they like, and does fine there.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #18
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,696 Times in 1,766 Posts

I don't know. I watch a few of the niners games with my dad when I can, he's a niners fan so I try to be nice.
I've seen Nolan make a lot of bad calls in games and it boggles my mind at some of the play calling. Reminds me of a Crennel, Holmgren, Marty Ball cross.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:59 PM   #19
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think that nolan is a good coach but not evry coach can build a team from scratch these days... so i think that these franchises that know they are in the dumps should give the coaches more time to re-build the team

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:15 PM   #20
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
I don't know. I watch a few of the niners games with my dad when I can, he's a niners fan so I try to be nice.
I've seen Nolan make a lot of bad calls in games and it boggles my mind at some of the play calling. Reminds me of a Crennel, Holmgren, Marty Ball cross.
Heh .. no need to be nice, it's abundantly clear even to lifelong Niners fans that the team is a joke now.

If you ask me, Nolan's in-game coaching could've been pretty good, but it ended up being mediocre because he always erred on the side of being too conservative. If you have a decent team, that kind of thing is only an annoyance, but your team is still competitive and you can still do OK as a coach. But when you have a team like the Niners that gives up talent on both sides of the ball, you can't play that way -- all it does is magnify your disadvantage. So that was his big mistake.

He seemed pretty competent in certain other areas, like identifying the talented players on his squad and getting the most out of them. Problem was, there were too many draft-day busts and too many holes that didn't get addressed through FA. It was like they'd sign one FA to plug a hole as if they were using a "win now" mentality, and completely miss the fact that the entire ship was taking on water.

I don't know how much of that part was Nolan's fault and how much was the rest of the FO, but I'm inclined to give Nolan the benefit of the doubt on that one, since that problem has been going on under numerous coaches and GMs, ever since the incompetent York family took over ownership.