Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #51
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713
Default Re: Whats Up With Ben?

KDKA just gave us bad news on the TV that Ben probably dislocated his shoulder and him and Miller are status as doubtful against the Colts. So lets just give Left and Spaeth our hearts and wish them luck!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #52
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

That's tough news, but Spaeth can use the work and experience. And Ben needs the rest after all.

BTW, Spaeth needs to learn to stay on his feet and deliver a blow to the tackler, not jump in the air and spin so the ball comes out. Just sayin...
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #53
Makaveli
Banned

Member Number: 5998

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMusic View Post
Can we have a serious discussion about why Lefty came in and our Offense looked 100% better. This is not a trade Ben or a Bench Ben thread, but seriously.

Don't get it twisted, I am a huge Big Ben fan. But you would have to have blinders on to not see or admit there was a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Part of me thinks that the Oline woke up after they seen there Million dollar QB go down and the other half knows that Lefty was simply making better reads and getting the ball out.

I just hope that while Ben is out he takes the time to get it right. Lets go Steelers.

To be honest,..and this is not me "hating" on Roethlisberger. But i have said it from day one. (his rookie year) He has the physical stature and athletic ability, but he is not a cerebral player. Henceforth the reason he attempts to hold the ball for 5-10 seconds. (Also been saying this for years)

This lack of mental dexterity is why he is at his best when plays breakdown and go "schoolyard". Because he cannot function as a true x's and o's Qb in terms of making the proper throws after the proper reads with any degree of speed or decisiveness.

This is why he is not evolving as a QB. Evolving into the elite QB that he and many Steeler faithful would like for him to be.

Perhaps if the organization, his peers, his coaches his friends and family would stop coddling and or catering to him and help him to understand the value of film and offseason preparation he could grow ?

This will most likely be deemed "heresy" by many here,.....but this is the reason why when Byron entered the game,...suddenly,.....the O-line can block,.....suddenly we actually have an offense that can put up points.

This is not to say Byron is an overly exceptionally QB,.....but he is a QUARTERBACK. And he does what is required of him,.....his job,.....no more, no less.
Makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #54
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
. Take what the defense gives you, you don't need to try and win the game on every play.
Probably the most concise bit of analysis and advice, that Steeler fans (especially hardcore Ben fans) dont want to hear.

He's signed for the next 10 seasons anyways, so I think as he matures, that will become a bigger part of his game.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #55
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Perhaps if the organization, his peers, his coaches his friends and family would stop coddling and or catering to him and help him to understand the value of film and offseason preparation he could grow ?

This will most likely be deemed "heresy" by many here,.....but this is the reason why when Byron entered the game,...suddenly,.....the O-line can block,.....suddenly we actually have an offense that can put up points.

Byron was knocked around quite a bit and had a few more sacks put on him. The O-Line didn't improve for jack. Is it Ben's fault recievers are sleepwalking for him? How many dropped passes did you count? Yeah, there was a big difference. The recievers decided to play, and the offense was reeled in to make Byron comfortable. I have not seen one instance thus year where there was playcalling to help Ben establish a rhythm. It seems with Arians, he wants Ben to go deep and intermediate 80% of the time. Slants and short passes are rarely called, and the no-huddle is never used. Arians tries getting cute with Ben and it doesn't work. We went SHOTGUN on 3rd and 2! You conveniently forgot to mention the NEGATIVE yard drive under Byron. You also conveniently forgot to mention Ben's TD drive that gave the Steelers the lead.

If Ben is such a detriment to the Steelers Offense, why were they so efficient in Jacksonville, Cincy, Second Half Baltimore, and Houston this year? And threw for 32 TD's last year, all while playing "schoolyard"? Time and time again people like you demonstrate why you cannot be taken seriously. A called back TD pass against the Giants changed the entire complexity of that game, and we probably wouldn't be talking about this right now if it wasn't.

The Offensive Line is Garbage, and the playcalling has been far from helpful. And Ben has paid the price. He is not healthy. I'd like to see you come back here when Ben has a good game and tell us how much he sucks or is an irresponsible dumbass. But seeing as how you haven't showed up until after the Giants game with your "Big Pick Oafishberger" post, I doubt.

Last edited by Edman; 11-04-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #56
PolamaluPower
Water Boy

Member Number: 8011

Ben is injured and the sacks and hits are taking their toll. He's tough and I'm not sure if there's another QB in the NFL that could take the beating that Ben has.

Thank you for your post and wording it so nicely. After reading the message board on pittsburghsteelers.com I am sick. Some of the fans over there horrify me.
PolamaluPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #57
PolamaluPower
Water Boy

Member Number: 8011

I also wanted to add Leftwich isn't our QB. There's a reason he was let go from Jacksonville and if he started we'd all see that reason again. I personally don't like him as a Steeler. I am perfectly satisfied with Charlie Batch being our backup.
PolamaluPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #58
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

It's kind of a relief knowing that Ben will sit and give his body a break. Our backups have stepped up this season and this will be no different. Tomin will accept no excuses.

That's what makes us so different this year over last year. I think we are seeing the blueprint for Mike Tomlin's Steelers of the future. We are going to be a physical football team (Steelers fans rejoice!) But you must have depth, because being physical has it's downside. Last year our lack of depth killed us and I think that seems to be one of Tomlin's priorities for the future of this team.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #59
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
If Ben is such a detriment to the Steelers Offense, why were they so efficient in Jacksonville, Cincy, and Houston this year?

The Offensive Line is Garbage, and the playcalling has been far from helpful. And Ben has paid the price. He is not healthy.
You are kidding right?? JAX, CIN, HOU are a combined 7-18 this season and at least 2 games under .500. I can answer that one.....we were efficient against them because they are not good teams.

I love the notion that the Offensive line is garbage. Would you rather have the Super Bowl line of Smith, Faneca, Hartings, Simmons and Starks?? Maybe coached by Russ Grimm instead of Zeirline?

I agree with what Makiveli is saying. Ben several times this season has ignored the guy underneath, while looking for the big play to open. I think it was against the Browns he threw a deep ball to Parker in the endzone, while Holmes was open for 15 yards and a first down. He had another in the first half last night when he went deep to the right, while Holmes came open underneath.

Ben is a big play QB, who admittedly never liked film session and sometimes makes big plays when he gambles. He will eventually learn to take what the defense gives him instead of trying to take what he wants.

I'm not a hater, I got my son a Ben jersey before he ever threw a pass in the NFL and we are still Big Ben fans.....I just try to be objective and see weaknesses and strengths.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #60
SteelersJW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5742

He really didn't look good before he went out at the end of the first half. Except for the touchdown drive he was having trouble making good throws. I don't want to sound like one of those sonsabitches who act like Ben sucks, but mabye we should start Leftwich next week if Ben isn't feeling close to 100%?