Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 11-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #21
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Big Ben played well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
It's nice to see some positive comments about Ben. He's been hammered by a couple of people the past few weeks. I, like Preacher, felt he should rest up this week but practice makes (almost) perfect and I thought Ben played fairly well today. It's obvious his shoulder isn't 100% yet, as he didn't attempt many long passes, but it seems to be coming along and that can only be a good thing!
I too, will commend Ben. He did very good today with his shoulder bothering him. Short Passes, and eventually it turned into a big gain because of his receivers. Good Work to Ben and time to get ready for the Bengals.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #22
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Ben and yes Arians shortened the field for Ben. The came into this game being kinda conservative with the pass lengths keeping them short.
Ben only went deep twice both which were incomplete, but his checkdowns came up big tonight so did Ward with over 100 yards and as well Spaeth.

He threw short and pretty accurate passing only missing 10 out of 41 and still managed 308 yards. Ben drove the team on the winning drive and won and redeemed himself for the loss last week.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #23
iloveben7
Team Captain

Member Number: 3165

I disagree with those that say there aren't Ben haters because there are. Ben did a great job today and obviously put all the haters to sleep because none of them are posting today. And it's not all his fault, he didn't throw a TD.

My dream is to meet my HERO, Ben Roethlisberger
iloveben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:27 PM   #24
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli View Post
There are still quite a few games left. And possibly the playoffs,.....

IMO there are no such thing as "Ben Haters",...just simply those whom stand for THE STEELERS and Ben's groupies whom will make excuses for and or coddle him to the bitter end. But this is nothing new,..it was the same case with Brister and Tinkerbell (Kordell)
Nope.

There are Steeler fans, and then there are people who think that the Steelers OWE THEM a WIN EVERY time the Steelers take the field, and that it is the FANS GOD GIVEN RIGHT to be an absolute ASS concerning the team if they don't.

There are those who criticize the team... and then those who love to hate on whoever the scapegoat of the day is.

Thank God Mahan is gone.

It would have been his fault the Steelers didnt' score a TD.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:59 PM   #25
ytsan2q
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3221

The timing was definitely there today. What a difference practice makes.
ytsan2q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #26
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
No one should hate Ben. However, two ending INTs for both halfs, is things even Kordell Stewart never did. Those are dumb dumb dumb plays that cost the steelers a win. Thos were not practice problems, not injury problems. Those were moron problem and yes, a moron mistake is much different then a mistake. Mistake is trying to throw into double coverage at the 50 yard line. Moron, idiot mistake is having a 17-7 lead and the half is almost done and you throw an INT on your own 20.
Actually, I think those int's are from lack of practice. Ben has had no rhythm the last few weeks. Yes, it is hard to get into a rhythm when your o'line is like swiss cheese, but even last year Ben was able to get into that rhythm. He needs the practice time to get his timing down. If you notice today he had much better timing with his receivers, as evidenced by how many of his throws were right on the money.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:43 AM   #27
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
Practice makes perfect!
Actually.....Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

Ben still hung onto the ball a few times and got sacked instead of throwing it away. A couple times he threw long to Nate when Holmes was open underneath and on the 2nd last drive he took the sack instead of throwing to Hines on the sideline on 3rd and long.

If he completes that 3rd and long to Ward on the sideline short of the first down, he might have given Reed a chance at a go ahead FG and would not have needed to take it down to the final seconds. If he plays that game smarter, he puts up 14 or 17 on the board and wins easier......but that is the risk-reward you get with Ben.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:49 AM   #28
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Actually.....Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

Ben still hung onto the ball a few times and got sacked instead of throwing it away. A couple times he threw long to Nate when Holmes was open underneath and on the 2nd last drive he took the sack instead of throwing to Hines on the sideline on 3rd and long.

If he completes that 3rd and long to Ward on the sideline short of the first down, he might have given Reed a chance at a go ahead FG and would not have needed to take it down to the final seconds. If he plays that game smarter, he puts up 14 or 17 on the board and wins easier......but that is the risk-reward you get with Ben.
Yep.

You don't always want the safe pass. The safe pass may get you off the field without points.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:54 AM   #29
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Yep.

You don't always want the safe pass. The safe pass may get you off the field without points.
Actually my point was the safe pass would have got 3 more points and got him in field goal range for Reed.

The 2nd down pass to nate he threw incomplete when he had Holmes open underneath would have setup a 3rd and about 3.

I loved the moment Ben was drafted and my kid has a #7 jersey, but what I am saying is that if Ben learns to take the high percentage pass, have an internal clock in his head in the face of a blitz and throw the ball away to live another play instead of takings sacks and losing yardage........he will be flat out dangerous on a consistent basis.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:00 AM   #30
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Actually my point was the safe pass would have got 3 more points and got him in field goal range for Reed.

The 2nd down pass to nate he threw incomplete when he had Holmes open underneath would have setup a 3rd and about 3.

I loved the moment Ben was drafted and my kid has a #7 jersey, but what I am saying is that if Ben learns to take the high percentage pass, have an internal clock in his head in the face of a blitz and throw the ball away to live another play instead of takings sacks and losing yardage........he will be flat out dangerous on a consistent basis.
And will never take the chances that make him very dangerous.

Fact is, if he throws the ball away like everyone wants him to... he throws away the chance to hit the last second TD, which he has done, or the last second 1st down, which he has done.

That also means he has to be ABLE to get out of the pocket, or he risks an IG. It ALSO means that he has to throw it in an area of a receiver if he isn't out out of the pocket, and that means higher probability of an INT.

Naaa, I don't worry as much as you do about it. I actually Like Ben taking the long shots at times. BTW, Washington should have caught it.. so it was a good decision, and bad hands on Washington.