Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #51
NYC SteelersFan
Banned

Member Number: 10612
Default Re: Thanks and Goodbye

Considering he's a first ballot HOF'er. Passed the Bus' prime was still equivalent to the average NFL runningback at that time. He was still plenty productive and still fit into the offense, he just needed to split carries a bit more. He never averaged less than 3 yards per carry and he remained a goal line force that defenses feared. And they were consistent 3 yards per carry. The Bus was extraordinary in his prime and very good passed his prime. Willie Parker was just good in his prime and now is below average passed his prime. These 2 runningbacks should not be mentioned in the same sentence.
NYC SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #52
NYC SteelersFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Why's it a ridiculous comparison? Willie had more 100-yard rushing games last year, FACT, which according to you, is a better barometer of week-to-week consistency. And LT has been banged up and for the most part ineffective this year.
Sir, why would you even try to argue this? You know damn well that LT is/was twice the runningback that Willie Parker is/was. I will not even attempt to argue this.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #53
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
My definition of "consistent" isn't much different than yours, actually. We actually agree more than we disagree about Parker and his shortcomings. When Parker is in the game, we gain speed but we lose power and pass-catching ability. With MeMo, we lose the speed but gain a legitimate pass-receiving threat. My ideal RB is someone who has all 3 qualities - power, speed and pass-catching ability. Whether Mendenhall will be that guy remains to be seen. I just won't join the growing call for Parker to be banished completely from the team, as you seemingly would like to do. It's not like he brings nothing to the table - he clearly does.
Yeah, that's mostly right. A lot of it isn't Parker himself, so much as the way we use him. He's not an all-situation back, but a lot of people (including fans and too often, the coaching staff) seem to stubbornly insist that he is, and that's when it hurts our offense. I was really happy with how we used everyone in the San Diego game -- it seemed like we'd finally figured out that yes, it does help to have the right people on the field for the right situation. But against the Bengals, we started to regress back to the Parker-or-nothing mentality more than a little bit, and it stung us.

On the other hand, I do still think speed is an overrated skill in a running back. It doesn't matter whether you have 4.3 speed or 4.6 speed -- if you're not in the open field, it doesn't matter. I don't even think Parker has any advantage over most backs in breaking runs to the outside -- it doesn't matter if you're Usain Bolt, you can't just outrun the OLBs and safeties to the sideline. Just because of where everyone lines up, you're guaranteed to have 2 or 3 guys with an angle on you that takes speed out of the equation -- this is a fixed certainty that no one can do anything about. So either the blocking is good enough to spring you to the outside or it isn't. And if it isn't, you're stuck with just your power or your moves.

That's where I think Parker falls short. I don't see him make people miss much more than average, and he's definitely no good at running over people and breaking tackles. So when he's in the game, his success or failure seems to be amplified a lot more than normal by whether the line's playing well. A lot of other backs have more weapons to help fight out a couple more yards when the blocking's average, is what I'm trying to say.
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #54
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC SteelersFan View Post
Sir, why would you even try to argue this? You know damn well that LT is/was twice the runningback that Willie Parker is/was. I will not even attempt to argue this.
Never said he was, I was simply stating the facts that #1, Parker had more 100-yard games than LT last year and #2, that LT has been banged up and for the most part ineffective this year. So I assume that LT will be cut by the Chargers soon using your criteria of getting rid of players that can't stay healthy.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #55
NYC SteelersFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Never said he was, I was simply stating the facts that #1, Parker had more 100-yard games than LT last year and #2, that LT has been banged up and for the most part ineffective this year. So I assume that LT will be cut by the Chargers soon using your criteria of getting rid of players that can't stay healthy.
The difference is that LT has had 135 TD's in 7 1/2 seasons and Parker has had 27 TD's in 4 1/2 seasons. When your RB score that high of a percentage of your total offense, it hurts a bit more to cut him after one bad year. Parker has always been inconsistent and is not the driving force behind our offense. REGARDLESS of those facts, even LT, if he does this the rest of this year and all of next year, even the Chargers will think about going in a different direction.

Quote:
That's where I think Parker falls short. I don't see him make people miss much more than average, and he's definitely no good at running over people and breaking tackles. So when he's in the game, his success or failure seems to be amplified a lot more than normal by whether the line's playing well. A lot of other backs have more weapons to help fight out a couple more yards when the blocking's average, is what I'm trying to say.
Well said.