Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-03-2008, 04:50 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers notes: Tomlin preaches responsibility

Steelers notes: Tomlin preaches responsibility
By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 11:42 PM EST

PITTSBURGH — In the aftermath of the latest controversy surrounding Plaxico Burress, coach Mike Tomlin said that he and other team officials are always reminding Steelers players about how they should conduct themselves off the field.

“We talk about that all the time because it comes with being who they are,” Tomlin said Tuesday at his weekly press conference. “We are very blessed to be involved in the National Football League and to be able to do what we do. We understand that there is a responsibility that comes with that. Recent events don’t affect that. They really never have and they never will.

“I acknowledge that some of the men that we work with are young men and that is part of growing and maturing into adulthood. I think that we in society need to realize that these guys are young men. It doesn’t excuse inappropriate behavior, but I think that as a head coach, it is my job to educate them not only inside the white lines but off.

When asked if the Steelers have a gun policy, Tomlin said “The NFL has a policy on carrying guns and gun-play and conduct. It is pretty effective, so we tend to follow those guidelines.”

The NFL’s Guns and Weapons Policy applies to all employees of the NFL and its member clubs. Among its stipulations are: no carrying guns in any NFL-owned or operated facility or any other venue being used for NFL business; players may legally possess a firearm, for example, for protection, but “we strongly recommend that you not do so.”; and those who legally possess a weapon must be aware of all local state and federal laws that apply.

STEELERS COULD CLINCH

With some help from other NFL teams, there’s a chance the Steelers could clinch a wild-card playoff berth Sunday.

The chances of the Steelers clinching this weekend are slim, but it could happen.

Here are the two scenarios:

- The Steelers (9-3) must beat the Dallas Cowboys and have both the New England Patriots (7-5) and Miami Dolphins (7-5) lose. The Patriots are playing on the road against the Seattle Seahawks (2-10) while the Dolphins are playing the Buffalo Bills (6-6) in Toronto.

- The Steelers win, the Patriots lose, the Dolphins tie and the New York Jets (8-4) lose on the road against the San Francisco 49ers (4-8).

“I am not a big-picture guy. I really am not,” Tomlin said of the playoff chase. “We play the Dallas Cowboys this week and our focus is to beat those guys if we can. We have no other way of looking at it really.”

SMITH STILL OUT

Even though he’s missed seven straight games and likely an eighth straight Sunday, Marvel Smith has not been placed on the season-ending injured reserve list.

Smith, who’s been a starting tackle since the Steelers drafted him in 2000, has no idea when he’ll be allowed to practice again, let alone play.

But Tomlin said the Steelers are reluctant to put Smith on IR in fear that he may be ready later this month or in the playoffs.

“Marvel is a veteran football player, a high-quality person and player. If we have an opportunity to get a contribution from him going forward, then, of course, we’re going to try to pursue that if we can,” said Tomlin.

Max Starks has started the past seven games at left tackle in place of Smith and will likely do so again Sunday against the Cowboys.

JONES WILL PLAY

Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said that Adam “Pac-man” Jones will play against the Steelers.

Jones, who had been suspended the past six games for breaking the NFL’s personal conduct policy, will be used as the extra cornerback in nickel and dime packages and will also return punts.

"He's ready to go," Phillips said. "He wants to play. As a football player, he's done all the right things since he's been with us."

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...c685390437.txt
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Re: Steelers notes: Tomlin preaches responsibility

Quote:
“I acknowledge that some of the men that we work with are young men and that is part of growing and maturing into adulthood. I think that we in society need to realize that these guys are young men. It doesn’t excuse inappropriate behavior, but I think that as a head coach, it is my job to educate them not only inside the white lines but off.
you have to love coach tomlin. i think he will be a great mentor to the young guys that come to the team. you have to love a coach that has a great head on his shoulders at such a young age

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:02 AM   #3
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292
Default Re: Steelers notes: Tomlin preaches responsibility

Good read and thanks for posting.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote