Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #11
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365
Default Re: Sean Avery Suspended by NHL for "Sloppy Seconds" comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsdancefloor View Post
lol he is extremely good at getting under the skin of whomever he is playing and now he is doing it to fans. He is that type of goon you hate unless he is on your team.
yea, i dont think any wants him on their team right now. most people on the stars dont even acknowledge him anymore. the only reason he is still in the NHL is because he can somewhat hold his own playing on the third/fourth line.

i would be pissed if the pens for whatever reason got him
pittsburghp8baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #12
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Sorry guys as much as a dumbass Avery is i don't agree with the punishment.
We have the freedom of speech and it's not like his statement was so harsh or anything.
The league was out to get this kid anyway reminds of a young Jagr.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #13
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

i wouldnt mind if the blackhawks could get him. i miss the days of the goon line
i actually think he is still a star because of brett hull

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #14
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Avery gets 6 games:

Quote:
The National Hockey League came down hard on Dallas Stars superpest Sean Avery Thursday, handing him a six-game suspension for making inappropriate public comments prior to the Stars' game in Calgary on Tuesday.

The move is retroactive to Tuesday's game against the Flames, with four more games to be served.

"Mr. Avery has expressed remorse for his recent comments and has sought a professional anger management evaluation," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a league-issued statement. "I will require that he follow through with that process as a condition of his returning to the ice and that he complies with any and all recommendations."

Avery and Stars co-general manager Brett Hull met with Bettman Thursday in New York after being given an indefinite suspension on Tuesday.

Perhaps the most hated man in hockey, Avery made headlines for all the wrong reasons after making disparaging remarks about ex-girlfriend Elisha Cuthbert, the Canadian-born actress currently dating Calgary Flames defenceman Dion Phaneuf.

His comments were strongly condemned by Dallas coach Dave Tippett and owner Tom Hicks.

Avery, who signed a four-year, $15 million deal with the Stars this past summer, has three goals and 10 points in 23 games this season.

He spent the previous 1 1/2 seasons with the New York Rangers and got plenty of attention last spring after using questionable tactics to block the view of New Jersey Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur in the Eastern Conference quarterfinals.

It's not the first has gotten himself into trouble. While with the Los Angeles Kings from 2003 to 2007, Avery publicly criticized management of the Players' Association and NHL director of hockey operations Colin Campbell, made disparaging remarks about French Canadians wearing visors and was involved in heated arguments with Anaheim Ducks broadcaster Brian Hayward and Kings assistant coach Mark Hardy.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2585...=topStory_main
Old 12-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #15
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Much as I dislike the guy, political correctness is not something you should be suspended over. Another proud step toward the pussification of America.

When this story first came out, I was pretty interested to see what it was that he actually said. I was disappointed it wasn't worse than that. I thought "hockey wh0re" would have had a much better ring to it.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #16
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

I don't follow hockey at all, so I don't know this guys past behavior or history I will admit but this punishment way to severe for this "crime". The guy doesn't have class obviously but a lot of people don't. Harry Reids "don't have to smell the tourists" comes to mind. 6 games for a stupid remark is way to severe IMHO.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #17
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
Much as I dislike the guy, political correctness is not something you should be suspended over. Another proud step toward the pussification of America.

When this story first came out, I was pretty interested to see what it was that he actually said. I was disappointed it wasn't worse than that. I thought "hockey wh0re" would have had a much better ring to it.
I think it was his career of douchebaggery on and off the ice that earned him the suspension, and this incident was the last straw. More of the league saying "enough is enough."
Old 12-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #18
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
I think it was his career of douchebaggery on and off the ice that earned him the suspension, and this incident was the last straw. More of the league saying "enough is enough."
yea i gotta agree, this was more of a last straw suspension as it was for jus on that comment. Sad thing is he probably will never learn and this will add more fuel to the fire that is his douchebaggery.
pittsburghp8baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #19
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
I guess maybe you could say it was the same idea as MLB with John Rocker. That I could understand a little more.

But I'm still of the opinion that unless they find out you're a practicing member of the KKK or something like that, you should only actually get suspended for stuff that violates the rules of the game, or if you do something illegal. The guy may be a jerk, but by itself that's not a crime. IMO, they should've waited for him to screw up again in something related to the game. It's not like there's a whole lot of doubt he'd do that, probably sooner rather than later.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #20
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head. The NHL stepped up and told Avery enough is enough. There is no reason to do something like that in front of the media. Especially when his ex-girlfriend can have him arrested for it to.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote