Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #11
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292
Default Re: Jim Wexell | Running back on the mark about Steelers’ ground game

I really wish McHugh would be our FB the rest of this season.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #12
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743
Default Re: Jim Wexell | Running back on the mark about Steelers’ ground game

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
I really wish McHugh would be our FB the rest of this season.

I agree. But it's not just about him being fullback for the whole season.

It's about not being predictable, yet using a fullback consistently as a fullback. Not as a tight end.

It's about changing up, but occassionally having a series where the fullback is on the field for more than just one play and out. If we want a fullback to be able to block Ray Lewis, he has to get continuous run blocking repetition from the I formation. Otherwise...just bringing McHugh in on an OBVIOUS run play where he has to get up for blocking a Ray Lewis probably won't work.

Again, that's my problem with Arians. You guys may think power football is dead, but it's not. It's only dormant because Bruce Arians doesn't want it.

It's an offensive philosophy. One that Arians doesn't adhere to. It's one that a lot of people will say is a dated philosophy that can't succeed in todays NFL.

I disagree. The Ravens, Titans and Giants adhere to that philosophy more than the Steelers. I want the Steelers to offensively be that way too.

Do you guys REALLY think in todays NFL, with Ben Roethesberger as the QB, Hines Ward as the wide out, Santonio Holmes as the other wide out and Mark Bruener...oh sorry, Heath Miller as the tight end....with a 260lbs fullback the Steelers couldn't have smash mouth football if the offensive coordinator wanted them to?

You don't have to have a 250 lbs half back to be able to pick up short yardage. Maybe Arians thinks so, but that don't make it so.

Yeah, go ahead and make comments about how this aint Madden. It also aint rocket science.

I know that when the Steelers play the Ratbirds today, I want our 260lbs fullback (not a tight end) meeting Ray Lewis in the hole instead of him hitting another one of our running backs freely and putting that RB on IR.

Anyone see the last Steeler Raven game? That was Ray Lewis putting our rookie running back and our then starting fullback out of the game.

The entire league knows that Arians isn't commited to running the football "correctly".
xbroughneck is offline   Reply With Quote