Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #21
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,141 Times in 1,059 Posts
Default Re: Once again.... Favre leaning towards retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58 View Post
So you think Franco Harris tarnished his by going to the Seahawks in '84?
I think so a bit. As posted earlier, there wasnt the drama that Favre created by tearfully retiring, then unretiring and threatening to come to Packers camp, etc.

I think guys like Franco in Seattle, Emmitt in Arizona, Jerry Rice in Denver (as the #4 WR) definately tarnish their image on the way out. Guys like Bettis, Sanders and Elway went out after great careers and all we remember is them in the jersey where they performed at their prime.

I remember Franco in the ugly Seahawks jersey and think, "he wasnt that good of a player the last few seasons of his career anyways".
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #22
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I think so a bit. As posted earlier, there wasnt the drama that Favre created by tearfully retiring, then unretiring and threatening to come to Packers camp, etc.
Plus ESPN wasn't on most people's radar screen back then. They fuel ths kind of stuff more than anyone.

I guarantee you there were a lot of players who went back and forth on retiring 30 years ago. What you didn't have was ESPN giving a daily update on it, so it didn't become a big deal.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #23
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

I think guys like Franco in Seattle, Emmitt in Arizona, Jerry Rice in Denver (as the #4 WR) definately tarnish their image on the way out. Guys like Bettis, Sanders and Elway went out after great careers and all we remember is them in the jersey where they performed at their prime.

I remember Franco in the ugly Seahawks jersey and think, "he wasnt that good of a player the last few seasons of his career anyways".

I think it's an individual thing....to me I don't feel like it tarnished Franco's legacy. To me, he'll always be the SB IX MVP and most certainly he'll forever be IMMACULTE! As far as the other players you mentioned, I feel the same way. They were great once, and that's what I remember.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #24
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

espn is a bif dif from today and the other yrs.. it seems that even if a lil story comes to light they need to make it a big che bang about it

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #25
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
So you think Franco Harris tarnished his by going to the Seahawks in '84?
I wasn't alive back then for one. So I do not know the exact details pertaining to what happened.

But from what I do know, Franco didn't retire and then unretire. He was holding out for a new contract and was then released. He went to the Seahawks needing 300-something yards to break Jim Brown's rushing record and couldn't even get over 200 yards and then retired.

I think if he stayed with the Steelers he could have broken the record, therefore damaging his legacy in that regard. But I have never had any ill will or negative thoughts about Franco.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #26
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,141 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote:
I think it's an individual thing....to me I don't feel like it tarnished Franco's legacy. To me, he'll always be the SB IX MVP and most certainly he'll forever be IMMACULTE! As far as the other players you mentioned, I feel the same way. They were great once, and that's what I remember.
I once was involved in a charity hockey event where Maurice "Rocket" Richard was in appearance and he was reluctant to skate because he said "he's not that good of a skater". The guy was so conscious about his diminished skating ability that he didnt want to embarrass himself. Such a classy guy and I would have paid to see him lace up the skates.

The athletes that hang on to long I feel do tarnish their image a bit because you are right that its a personal thing. I personally see them as average guys with average ability, instead of the onetime superstars of the game.

Favre should have walked away, but at least he got to be the prima donna one more season and pick up another people's choice award in Hawaii. Other than that he did nothing but cause shit for a lot of people.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #27
beSteelmyheart
Team Captain

Member Number: 1249

I agree, he really is turning into a major pain in the ass & if I have to deal with any more "Breaking News" from ESPN about him in the off season this year I'm going to puke. I'm not a fan of him to begin with & the 2 sides of me are torn-
The me who wants to see him pull the same crap this year & really show everyone what an egomaniac he truly is, or..
The me who just wishes he would shut up, take his money & go away.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #28
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
What you didn't have was ESPN giving a daily update on it, so it didn't become a big deal.
Daily? How bout every 30 minutes! UGGGGGGH!!!!!! JUST QUIT ALREADY!