Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628
Default Natural grass kept Ben from getting really hurt?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/p...urn=nfl,132451

Quote:
Natural grass kept Roethlisberger injury from being worse

That artificial turf the Pittsburgh Steelers never installed at Heinz Field might have saved them a franchise quarterback. Or at least, saved him from a bigger headache, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Ben Roethlisberger credited the giving grass surface for saving him from a more serious injury Dec. 28 when his head bounced off it after Cleveland linebackers Willie McGinest and D'Qwell Jackson knocked him to the turf late in the first half. They carried Roethlisberger out on a stretcher that game; he was diagnosed with a mild concussion and he did not practice last week. But he did practice yesterday and said he will start Sunday when the Steelers play the San Diego Chargers at Heinz Field in an AFC divisional playoff game.

"I'm glad we weren't on FieldTurf," Roethlisberger said yesterday, speaking publicly for the first time since his injury. "That grass you know, the soft Heinz Field might've helped a little bit. That whiplash is always a pain. If you ask any position player, when they hit that ground with the whiplash, it's going to hurt like crazy."

Still, he said it was "scary" because his arms went temporarily numb.

"Yeah, I couldn't feel them. They pricked me with a pin and I couldn't feel it. When you see the doctor look at the trainer with that look, it kind of scares you a little bit."

The scary part is over now come the questions. First, there were those from the doctors; he took several tests last week and passed his final one Monday morning. Now, they'll come from fans and the news media: Will there be an effect from the concussion when he takes the field Sunday?

"I plan on being out there 100 percent ready to go," Roethlisberger said.

Source: Pittburgh Post-Gazette
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Re: Natural grass kept Ben from getting really hurt?

Quote:
"I'm glad we weren't on FieldTurf," Roethlisberger said yesterday, speaking publicly for the first time since his injury. "That grass — you know, the soft Heinz Field — might've helped a little bit.
Yea, that soft field. Maybe with the extra layer of sod on it.

That real hard field turf, with the sand under it for drainage and all those rubber pellets must be real hard?!?!?

That's it, now they'll never get field turf!!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
100% truth

Ben's head will need it's own forum soon - there will be a zillion more articles coming up.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
Yea, that soft field. Maybe with the extra layer of sod on it.

That real hard field turf, with the sand under it for drainage and all those rubber pellets must be real hard?!?!?

The Field turf stuff is harder, but the closest thing to natural turf other than the real stuff. A survey of NFL players concluded that 85% preferred natural turf. http://www.athleticturf.net/athletic....jsp?id=148868

So NFL players prefer grass........who knew.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
The Field turf stuff is harder, but the closest thing to natural turf other than the real stuff. A survey of NFL players concluded that 85% preferred natural turf.
I'm sure all players would rather play on beautiful natural grass. If you notice the best fields in the survey that are natural grass are all in climates that allow the grass to flourish, besides Philly and that could be due to the fact Philly was so bad for so long.

That survey was done over 4 years ago. I'm sure the technology has changed since then, and how it is installed. Notice again in the survey that the same type of surface was listed in both the best and worst, how can that be other than how it was installed.

I don't discount that players would much rather play on natural grass, but I think the climate and the condition of the field would play into that decision also.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote