Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,209 Times in 3,497 Posts
Default Re: Has Gay taken McFadden's spot for good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post

Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, Bryant McFadden, Willie Gay. Hopefully Anothony Smith can pull his head out of his ass and become a contributor, because I would love to see him rotate in to keep Clark and Polamalu fresh.
next year is clarks, townsends, gays, and i believe carters final season under contract (athough tyrone could be a free agent this season along with smith). i could be wrong on 1 or 2 but like mcfadden, if any are gonna be kept we better act quick.

clark is earning a big payday and he should be a number one priority to extend in the offseason.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #22
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
next year is clarks, townsends, gays, and i believe carters final season under contract (athough tyrone could be a free agent this season along with smith). i could be wrong on 1 or 2 but like mcfadden, if any are gonna be kept we better act quick.

clark is earning a big payday and he should be a number one priority to extend in the offseason.
Shit, I didn't realize that Clark's contract was up at the end of next season. I hope we extend him, he's vital to our secondary and we currently don't have someone to replace him.

I can see Townsend retiring when his contracts up. He'll have two or three rings at that time...and he wont have anything left to prove.

I think we extend Gay after this season while we negotiate with BMac. That way if BMac walks we have a guy who can step in and play well...and if we resign BMac then we have a nice CB rotation and an excellent nickel back.

Tyrone Carter, we can resign him on the cheap. I really like him for depth and I think he's an excellent backup/role player.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #23
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I thought this had to do with Bmac not being 100% whereas Gay is?

I think this is confusing the issue. WP is at 80% is equal to Melwelde Moore at 100%, so people naturally assume somehow that Moore is the better back, when they aren't equal at all. I think Gay has played well, but McFadden has been superb when he's been 100% healthy.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #24
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Signing a rookie is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than signing an unrestricted free agent.

The free agent tests the waters and lets teams bid for his services. Rosenhaus will even fake phone calls from other teams, pretending that his client is getting a better offer. Timmons as the #15 draft pick got a bit more than the #16 pick and a bit less than the #14 pick.......its pretty much a slotting system.
Yeah, I'm very well aware that the two situations are different and exactly what they are. I was refuting the assertion that the Rooneys would "never" negotiate with Rosenhaus when in fact they have in the past. "Negotiation" and "reaching an agreement" are two very different things.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #25
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Yeah, I'm very well aware that the two situations are different and exactly what they are. I was refuting the assertion that the Rooneys would "never" negotiate with Rosenhaus when in fact they have in the past. "Negotiation" and "reaching an agreement" are two very different things.
OK. I just never put it past a Rosenhaus client on the open market to grind for everything he can get in terms of $$. We all know the Steelers will not be the highest bidder in free agency, but maybe their offer ends up being the best one left after Asomgua, Dunta Robinson and Ron Bartell cash in.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #26
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
OK. I just never put it past a Rosenhaus client on the open market to grind for everything he can get in terms of $$. We all know the Steelers will not be the highest bidder in free agency, but maybe their offer ends up being the best one left after Asomgua, Dunta Robinson and Ron Bartell cash in.
Yep, I'm no fan of Rosenhaus either - I didn't mean to be a smartass in my response. Apologies.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #27
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Yep, I'm no fan of Rosenhaus either - I didn't mean to be a smartass in my response. Apologies.
No offense taken. Most of the Rosenhaus haters think that McFadden is a gonner because he is gonna get an overpriced offer from somebody. That may be true, but he isnt exactly the top talent in the free agent CB market. I still think he can get a good offer from the Steelers and if they pay him that kind of $$, they are gonna start him.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #28
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
You mean like they did with Timmons, who has the same agent? McFadden wasn't appreciably better than Gay has been, so McFadden isn't exactly in a position to "extort" money from the Rooneys.
See, McFadden doesn't have to extort money from us, he just has to convince some other dumb team with a lot of free money that he's worth $7 million a season. In fact, the dumb teams will convince themselves and then scramble to be the highest bidder. They do it every year.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #29
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

mark my words: it will be a HUGE mistake to let mcfadden walk. do you remember how lights out he was before his injury? he is an intelligent football player who makes ridiculous reads and jumps on the ball. we need to resign him, he will be a star one day...
Sharkissle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #30
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lers View Post
he is an intelligent football player who makes ridiculous reads and jumps on the ball. ...
Do you realize that you just spelled out the scouting report on William Gay?

William Gay
CB from Louisville
5'10" 187
NFL Scouting Report

Average height and size ... Consistent ... Was not very productive as a Junior, but tripled his tackle output (60) in his Senior year and recorded 6 interceptions and 13 pass breakups ... Average speed ... Good technically ... Has good ball skills ... Solid tackler ... Good toughness ... Instinctive

http://www.rookiepedia.com/index.php...&printable=yes

I think McFadden has better speed than Gay and that is the major difference.