Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #441
GoFins11
Starter

Member Number: 5876
Default Re: The SEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Texas plays defense.

Tebow will come out. Why would he stay? He'll be an H-back or something on Sunday's, but he's talented enough to be a really good NFL player. Just not under center.
Most of us think he is going to stay. He doesn't have to prove anything but he seems like the kind of guy that does something til the end.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #442
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTideSteelersFan View Post
Well, the SEC can still claim supremacy even though the national media was slobbering all over the Big XII this season.

If Tebow comes back, I think UF will be the favorite to win it all again. Then in 2010, maybe Bama will be ready.

Once the Big XII learns how to play defense, then maybe they'll figure out how to win national championships.
In fairness, the Big XII had a much better regular season than we did. For that matter, the Pac-1 was the worst conference in the regular season and the best in the bowls.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #443
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

Looks like Florida and Ole Miss debunked the big 12 this year. SEC plays the toughest regular season schedule and it showed agian this bowl season. I am sad to see Moerno and Stadford go. But how can they pass up all of that cash. I think stadford will be the first QB taken. He played under center in a pro style formation and is ready for the next level. The kid is going to a great player on sundays. Moreno plays with such great enthusiasm for the game i am going to miss him on saturdays.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #444
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

NFL bust. He should stay another year and try to improve his game. Any team that selects Matt Stafford based on all his potential deserve what they get. He has a strong arm, but so did Ryan Leaf. The difference is that Leaf actually threw a bunch of TD passes. He is immobile, too.

Tebow stayed, but I guess that makes some sense. He was projected as like a 5th by many...I still think he's talented enough to succeed on Sundays, just not under center.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #445
atlsteelers
Starter

Matt is going to fine in the NFL. Yes he has a big arm but i would not call him immobile. He is a pocket passer and has played in a prostyle offense so he should make a nice transition. I would have like to have seen him come back but i think Joe Cox will have a nice season for us next year.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #446
atlsteelers
Starter

go fins i figured you would like this article

Bad news for UGA fans: Florida is just getting started
By Tony Barnhart | Friday, January 9, 2009, 11:11 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Fort Lauderdale, Fla.—For fans of the Georgia Bulldogs, I have some bad news and some WORSE news today.

The bad news? Florida, your hated rival, just won its second national championship in three years.

The worse news? The Gators, it appears, are just getting started.

Urban Meyer came here Friday morning to pick up all of the hardware that comes with being a national champ. Meyer said he enjoyed the first national championship he won as Florida’s head coach in 2006.

But Friday morning Meyer said he is going to enjoy this one a lot more. “I’m not sure I took the time to savor that first one because was all so new. That year we had a good team but we didn’t have a good program,” Meyer said. “Now we have both. That makes this one very special.”

In a private conversation with me in February of 2007, Meyer said he was not pleased with the state of the Florida football program after the national championship season.

“Too many people focused on themselves. Not enough people focused on the team and each other,” Meyer said. “We are going to change that.”

Meyer won the 2006 a national championship with a team dominated by recruits of former coach Ron Zook. Meyer liked those guys but they weren’t HIS guys. These are his guys and he doesn’t like them. He loves them.

“What we have here now is very special at Florida,” Meyer said. “We should have a really good team coming back next year.”

If you’re a Georgia fan, you need to understand what Meyer has built at Florida in just four short years and what things look like for the Gators down the road. Of the 24 players on the offensive depth chart last night against Oklahoma, 18 still have eligibility remaining for 2009 (6 juniors, 8 sophomores, and 4 freshmen).

The defense had held the nation’s highest scoring team (54 points per game) to only two touchdowns did not have a senior among its top 22 players. Of the group that played in the BCS championship game, 16 were sophomores, redshirt freshmen or freshmen.

No one here expects Percy Harvin, who is such an incredible talent, to return next season. Harvin made everybody hold their breath every time he touched the ball last night. But he is simply too fragile. He needs to go to the NFL and make some money.

Linebacker Brandon Spikes, who was the heart and soul of that defense, is also expected to turn pro.

Quarterback Tim Tebow will be a more interesting decision. Simply put, if Tebow comes back Florida should be the consensus preseason No. 1 pick. If he doesn’t come back sophomore John Brantley will take over and Florida will still be pretty good. But the Gators may not be national championship good.

Meyer said Friday morning that Tebow’s decision will come in the next few days. Tebow has two national championship rings and a Heisman Trophy. If he comes back, he could win both again.

Bottom line: If Urban Meyer signs another top five recruiting class, which he is expected to do, it may be a while before Georgia, or anybody else in the SEC East, is going to be able to unseat the Gators from the top of the division. Florida has separated itself from the field and shows no signs of slowing down.

Meyer was working the phones to recruits last night after the national championship game. He said Friday that he has only “4 or 5” slots left. “We want to make sure those four or five are really good ones.” It’s a pretty good bet that the Gators will have a lot of fun on national signing day.

I’m never comfortable using the “dynasty” word. It’s too vague. But what Florida appears to be doing is putting together a program that can have a Southern California kind of run. Yes, the Trojans play in the Pac-10 and not the SEC and that’s huge. But Florida took another big step forward last night. Everybody else in the SEC East, including Georgia, is going to have to step up to meet the challenge. Because as long as Meyer is in Gainesville, I don’t see the Gators taking a step back.

Ladies and gentlemen, that puts a wrap on the 2008 season for me and this blog. I am going off for an extended vacation with Mrs. Barnhart, something she has richly earned. I will return on Monday, Feb. 9 and will resume this blog. We’ll probably do it about three times a week until we get into spring practice which, by that time, won’t be far around the corner.

I want to thank all of you for the great support this season. It has been a wonderful season and I’ve really enjoyed being a part of it. I always tell my friends from other media outlets that we have the smartest college football fans in the world in the South. You proved it once again this season.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #447
GoFins11
Starter

Quote:
Florida quarterback Tim Tebow underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder Monday morning to remove a bone spur and chronic inflammation.
Quote:
Tebow was originally injured during the 2007 season, and reaggravated the injury this season against Hawaii.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3827584

Tebow is a pretty tough QB. I can't wait for 2009.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #448
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Don't get profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery...this was the consensus about the Buckeyes after 2001, and look how that turned out for them.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #449
GoFins11
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Don't get profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery...this was the consensus about the Buckeyes after 2001, and look how that turned out for them.
Well we won two and thats good enough for me. I don't care if they win a NC next year. I just can't wait to see Tebow, Harvin, Spikes, etc, play one more season.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #450
atlsteelers
Starter

i think that harvin and spikes will go pro. they have nothing left to prove at the college level and both should be 1st round picks. tebow stayed because at best he would a mid round pick and he might have to switch postitions.

i would like to see either spikes or harvin wearing the black and gold. ellebre - the steelers would be wise to look at him too. i could see him being a 3rd round pick or so.