Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 01-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458
Default Giants, Eli Manning said to be close on $120M contract extension

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...g_after-2.html

The Super Bowl championship the Giants won last year was priceless. The man who led them to it is not.

The Giants will have to pay a hefty price to keep last year's Super Bowl MVP. Eli Manning's contract is due to expire after next season, and sometime in the next year - probably the next few months - the Giants will take the first steps toward making him the next member of the $100 million quarterback club.

Manning might even end up being the highest-paid member, as several NFL sources said his next deal could be worth a league-high $15 million per season. That would be an average of $1 million more than his brother Peyton is making on the seven-year, $98 million deal he signed with the Indianapolis Colts in 2004.

Based on interviews with several agents and personnel people, Eli Manning appears to be in line for a seven- or eight-year contract worth $110 million-$120 million with $40 million in guarantees.

That would make the 28-year-old the eighth quarterback to top the $100 million barrier, and would put him near the top with Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb (12 years, $115million), Cincinnati's Carson Palmer (nine years, $118.75 million), and former Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick (10 years, $130 million).

"We know," said one team source. "But that's money we're going to be happy to pay."

The Giants have been bracing for that mega-deal since last February when Manning led them on their surprising Super Bowl run. And nothing that happened this season has caused the Giants to waver on paying that price. Despite a season-ending slump and a terrible performance (15-for-29, 169 yards, two interceptions) in a 23-11 loss to the Eagles in the divisional playoffs on Sunday, the Giants still appear to have as much confidence in their Pro Bowl quarterback as they did before.

"You would like to be as good as you possibly can be all the time and Eli feels the exact same way," Tom Coughlin said the day after the end of the Giants' season. "Am I concerned? Sure. You'd like to have it be a lights-out day every time we play. But we'll take care of that. It will get better and he'll get better."

GM Jerry Reese declined to comment on any plans for extending Manning's contract, and neither Manning's agent, Tom Condon, nor Giants co-owners John Mara and Steve Tisch returned calls Tuesday. It is believed there have been preliminary talks, but an agreement isn't imminent. Said one NFL source: "With deals like this, it could be done in days or it could take months."

This likely will be a complex deal, much like the original, seven-year deal Manning signed as a rookie in 2004 that was worth $45 million to $54 million. That deal contained dozens of incentives that added bonuses and changed the values of his salaries. And it had a unique, performance-based trigger that allowed Manning to opt out of the 2008-2010 years of the deal, although the Giants had the option of buying back the 2008-09 seasons, which they did, for $5 million.

This deal figures to be similar since rarely are players expected to earn all of the money in a contract this size. For example, in 2001, the New England Patriots gave Drew Bledsoe a 10-year, $103 million contract, but because of options, the actual value was more like four years and $30 million. Often these deals are stretched out and inflated to help with salary-cap issues.

There are potential minefields, too, such as the uncertain future of the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement. A new CBA could change the financial landscape of the league. And if a new deal isn't reached in time, teams could be dealing with an "uncapped year" in 2010.

Then there's the sinking economy. As the Daily News reported in November, the Giants are fighting bankrupt Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. for $301.8 million the team says it is owed as part of a financing deal for its new $1.6 billion stadium. Because of that and spiraling debt from the stadium project, one NFL source questioned whether the Giants had available cash to guarantee $40 million to Manning. However, one high-ranking team official insisted that neither the stadium nor the economy will prevent the Manning deal from eventually getting done.
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,764 Times in 1,610 Posts
Default Re: Giants, Eli Manning said to be close on $120M contract extension

they shoulda got the deal done last year and saved some $$$$$$$$$$$$

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Let's do the math here....

Ben Roethlisberger 8 year, 102 Mill = 12.75 Mill a year

McNabb 12 years, 115 Mill = 9.5 Mill a year

Carson Palmer 9 years, 118 Mill = 13.1 mill a year.

Vick 10 years, 130 Mill = 13 mill a year

Seems to me, on a year to year basis, Ben is one of the top paid QB's. I guess that means the Rooneys are cheap.

(sorry to hijack the thread. . . but it just struck me as a little strange when I started thinking through the numbers and realized Ben wasn't even mentioned.)
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Sounds about right

But they need to get Eli a new #1 receiver or paying him will be useless. They looked awful against the eagles

All they have at WR is potential. That isn't gonna win you games
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Let's do the math here....

Ben Roethlisberger 8 year, 102 Mill = 12.75 Mill a year

McNabb 12 years, 115 Mill = 9.5 Mill a year

Carson Palmer 9 years, 118 Mill = 13.1 mill a year.

Vick 10 years, 130 Mill = 13 mill a year

Seems to me, on a year to year basis, Ben is one of the top paid QB's. I guess that means the Rooneys are cheap.

(sorry to hijack the thread. . . but it just struck me as a little strange when I started thinking through the numbers and realized Ben wasn't even mentioned.)

What were the signing bonuses??? As we know, you dont get paid the same each year. They can backload a contract in a way that the player never sees that $$$$.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
What were the signing bonuses??? As we know, you dont get paid the same each year. They can backload a contract in a way that the player never sees that $$$$.

Very true. I was just doing some quick math to see where they line up.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i would think that with the situation with plex.. eli should lighten up the load a lil bit and say to use that money to get another big time wr

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

120 million for a guy that in my eyes is overrated. He won a Super Bowl. Woohoo so didnt Trent Dilfer. Just cause he plays in NY he is treated differantly.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
Polamalu Princess
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 7120

- For me - not you Preach - but I love your new sig!!!!! That is priceless!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Very true. I was just doing some quick math to see where they line up.