Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Suggs may not play due to shoulder pain

Suggs might not be able to shoulder pain on Sunday

By DAVID GINSBURG – 1 hour ago

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) — As usual, Terrell Suggs is the focus of attention during Ravens-Steelers week. This time, however, his mouth isn't the issue.

It's a sprained right shoulder that just might keep him out of the AFC championship game.

With his arm in a sling, Suggs spoke to the media for eight minutes Thursday. Instead of talking about bounties, his hatred of the Steelers or Baltimore's plan to neutralize trash-talking receiver Hines Ward on Sunday, the Ravens linebacker ditched his trademark grin as he discussed his ailing shoulder.

"This game is bigger than all that nonsense," Suggs said, his voice barely above a whisper. "This game is 10 times bigger than cheap shots and playing with an injury or not playing with an injury. This game is that important. It's so important that I would consider sitting out to win it."

Suggs hurt his shoulder while tackling Tennessee quarterback Kerry Collins in the second quarter of Baltimore's 13-10 upset last Saturday. He did not play in the second half and has not practiced this week, which means his streak of playing in 96 consecutive games over six seasons could be in serious jeopardy.

"I'm doing whatever I can. I've never missed a game and I definitely don't want to start with the AFC championship game," he said. "I'm rehabbing four or five times a day. Come Sunday, we'll see."

Suggs is an instrumental piece of a defense that ranked second in the NFL during the regular season. He led the Ravens with eight sacks, had a career-high 102 tackles and intercepted two passes, taking one back for a touchdown.

His outstanding performance earned him a third invitation to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl, but at this juncture of the season, his thoughts are on a far more important excursion: to Tampa for the Super Bowl.

"If I feel that being out there will hinder us, that we'll be playing out there with 10, then the decision is obvious: I can't go," he said.

Even if Suggs can play, there's no guarantee he can last beyond his initial encounter with someone in a black jersey. He couldn't describe the injury in specifics, but said "it could be major ligament damage."

Not exactly uplifting news for a player getting ready to go against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"There's a big chance that it can get worse, especially in a smashmouth game. We're not playing Indy, we're not playing a finesse team," Suggs said. "We're playing a team that has the exact identity as us. It's going to be a physical game, and they said there's a chance you could aggravate it more than it already is."

If Suggs can't go, he would be replaced by Edgar Jones, Jameel McClain and/or Marques Douglas — none of whom is remotely as effective as Suggs, Baltimore's most efficient pass rusher.

Suggs is conceivably as important to the Ravens as safety Troy Polamalu is to the Steelers, and Polamalu has already declared that a calf injury won't keep him out of Sunday's game.

Asked if he expected to have Suggs in the lineup, Baltimore safety Ed Reed said, "Oh yeah, of course. You would have to strap him down. Just like Troy's calf, I know the competitor he has in him."

Ward feels the same.

"Suggs, he's a talent. Next to Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, he's really their heart and soul," Ward said. "He's the one who gets guys going. He's got a constant motor and just doesn't stop. I'll bet anything he's going to be on the field. There's no way he can miss this game."

A Steelers-Ravens duel is usually preceded by banter between the teams, and the rivalry is so intense that often the trash-talk continues long after the final whistle. Several days after Pittsburgh's win over Baltimore on Sept. 29, Suggs told an Atlanta radio station there was a bounty out on Ward and Steelers rookie running back Rashard Mendenhall, whose season ended with a hard hit from Lewis in that game.

Suggs later said there wasn't a bounty, although the NFL investigated his comments.

On Thursday, Suggs focused on only one topic: his shoulder.

"I didn't even want to come talk to you guys," he said. "This is the first time I've really been injured. Everybody plays hurt, anybody can play hurt, but there's a good chance I possibly won't get to line up and play for the championship with my team. Not ever missing a game in the past and to make this my first one, it's not really something I'm going to be happy about."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583
Default Re: Suggs might not be able to shoulder pain on Sunday

I am watching ESPN and they just had an injury report for all the teams in the playoffs....Rolle is listed as doubtful. By the way they sounded...Suggs will most likely play, Rolle won't.
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
"There's a big chance that it can get worse, especially in a smashmouth game. We're not playing Indy, we're not playing a finesse team," Suggs said. "We're playing a team that has the exact identity as us. It's going to be a physical game, and they said there's a chance you could aggravate it more than it already is."
Great quote.

I find it quite interesting that both teams are dropping the smack talk and really being honest about each other. I think there is a LOT more respect between these teams than anyone would have imagined.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote:
"This game is bigger than all that nonsense," Suggs said, his voice barely above a whisper. "This game is 10 times bigger than cheap shots and playing with an injury or not playing with an injury.
this goon has some serious mental issues reguarding hines.......has he ever did an interview and not mentioned him? if i was hines, i'd go after him EVERY chance i got , and try to knock his arm off.....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcitygal87 View Post
I am watching ESPN and they just had an injury report for all the teams in the playoffs....Rolle is listed as doubtful. By the way they sounded...Suggs will most likely play, Rolle won't.
If that is true, that is just as big. I doubt Suggs will be as successful in the pass rush. That would mean Ben will have more time to pick out his receivers.

The other thing I saw in our game against the Chargers, was that their coverage was pretty dang good. If Rolle is out and Suggs can't get to the QB, that means we are playing an INFERIOR pass defense team. I know I know, but Reed, but Reed, but Reed.

Reed what. We throw the short outs and ins, and Reed is 15 yards away. As soon as he steps up, Washington streaks by him.

Seriously. these teams are SO close that these two injuries, plus the fact that WE were injured in OUR last two meetings with them, will tip the scales towards us.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Suggs might not be able play due to shoulder pain

I hope the douchebag plays on Sunday. As I've said many times - I want to beat the RATS at full strength or as close to it as possible. That way, there can be NO excuses.

Git him Hines!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
CaliStillersFan
Starter

Member Number: 11604
Default Re: Suggs may not play due to shoulder pain

I heard a report earlier today that said Suggs cannot lift his arm over his head and had trouble getting his shirt off. His back up is injured and that if Suggs couldn't play they would have to start Edgar Jones a TE in Suggs spot. That's Huge!!! The more the week goes on, the more I think this game is going to over in the first half.

CaliStillersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
Burghfan58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10872

A shot of pain killer and a shoulder harness. He'll play.

Steelers can't win it every year. Some teams can't win it any year.
Burghfan58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #9
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I really just wanna kick the crap out of them.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082
Default Re: Suggs might not be able play due to shoulder pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I hope the douchebag plays on Sunday. As I've said many times - I want to beat the RATS at full strength or as close to it as possible. That way, there can be NO excuses.

Git him Hines!
I hope he plays enough to get smacked by Hines on a crack back, then he can sit out if he can't take it!!!!!!
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote