Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Chat Transcript: Gerry Dulac on the Steelers

Chat Transcript: Gerry Dulac on the Steelers, 1/23/09
Friday, January 23, 2009
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09023...d=steelers.xml

bg_steel: Gerry, how are the Steelers going to prevent big passes to Larry Fitzgerald?

pg_gerrydulac:: I'm not sure, but i wont be surprised. I'm sure Whisenhunt will pull out a trick or two to keep his old mates honest.

MoeLarryCheese: We all know Hines Ward is a warrior; however is his MCL sprain the type of injury that you can actually rehab into shape through 24/7 treatment or is time the best healer? Also, is it the type of injury that can be numbed up and play without risk of further injury?

pg_gerrydulac:: Time is definitely the best healer, but it is an injury that, typically, takes 2 weeks to heal. thats why he's trying to expedite the process with round-the-clock treatement. he doesnt have two weeks.

SDWC: It seems to me that defensively the Steelers might game plan similarly as they did for Indianapolis this year. I tend to see similarities in the two teams. Do you think the Cards are as dangerous offensively as the past few Colts teams?

pg_gerrydulac:: Yes, and maybe even more so because of Fitzgerald, his height and ability to adjust to the ball. But i think Indy is better because of Manning.

Jeff: Any truth to the rumor that Dick LeBeau will retire after the Super Bowl?

pg_gerrydulac:: None that I know.

Chooch79: Do you expect to see the Steelers deploy their empty backfield formation again on 3rd and 1, with a nine-point second half lead against the Cardinals?

pg_gerrydulac:: Ha, ha...I hope not. I dont have a problem with them throwing on third-and-1; I have a problem when you go empty-set and take away the play-action possibility, especially when your running back just gained 7 yards on second down.

Lefty: Gerry, is the better matchup to watch our D vs. their O or our O vs. their D?

pg_gerrydulac:: I think I will watch both matchups.

hello: Why don't the Steelers put in someone faster to return kicks than Carey Davis or Gary Rusell?

pg_gerrydulac:: Couldnt agree with you more. But, too late for that.

VAStiller: Hi Gerry. Longtime Steeler fan hanging out in Virginia here. I just wanted to know, is it just me, or is this the least respected Super Bowl "favorite" that you've ever seen? All of the national talk radio programs I've listened to are talking about the matchup problems that the Cardinals create for the Steelers. The Cardinal story has been a good one, but didn't they finish 9-7 including several blowout losses down the stretch? Not too mention, the NFC is probably not as strong as the AFC.

pg_gerrydulac:: I think it's you.

Jacque_Strap: How well does Limas Sweed perform in practice?

pg_gerrydulac:: Like he does in the games. Exactly.

T22POST: Gerry, fastfowarding to the offseason after we win this game. -- do you think we draft all lineman?

pg_gerrydulac:: I cant fast-forward from this laptop. But I can rewind, and I thought that last year, too.

bg_steel: Hi Gerry. Are the Cardinals going to do any trick plays like what Whisenhunt did for the Steelers in Super Bowl XL?

pg_gerrydulac:: Knowing Whisenhunt, I'd be surprised if he didn't. Just to see if the Steelers are paying attention.

Ernaburn2007: Last week, John Fedko made a statement on his show saying LeBeau is the No. 1 reason the Steelers are where they are. Granted the defense trumps our offense, nevertheless I don't see it a compliment to LeBeau, rather than a slap in the face to Tomlin. Do you agree with Fedko?

pg_gerrydulac:: You're mistake was watching John Fedko.

Menofpaws: The Cardinals offense reminds me more of New England with Brady than Cincy's as mentioned earlier. Will this be the best offense they play this year?

pg_gerrydulac:: I don't think there's any question it will be the most productive pass offense. You might be right about the Brady thing.

Dan_-_St_Paul: Who do you see as the top three most likely super bowl MVPs?

pg_gerrydulac:: 1. Ben Roethlisberger. 2. Santonio Holmes 3. Larry Fitzgerald

ch3: Gerry, what do you think of the Cardinals' linebackers? I think they are weak and we can take advantage of them with Miller, Spaeth and Moore.

pg_gerrydulac:: Maybe with Heath Miller. I wouldnt be circling the other two just yet. The Cardinals defense is playing better than they appear on paper.

Mark_of_Dayton: Will the Arizone o-line be able to give Warner enough time to throw down the field?

pg_gerrydulac:: That's what we will discover. He gets rid of the ball pretty quickly, though. You would too with James Harrison charging off the end.

stillerguy01: Gerry, what kind of success do you think we can expect from Willie Parker and the running game?

pg_gerrydulac:: I expect a big game from Willie Parker. If I'm the Steelers, I throw Counter 34 Pike at the Cardinals. Thats the play Whisenhunt called that resulted in Parker's 75 TD run in Super Bowl XL.

MWarren18: Gerry, are any members of the Steelers coaching staff up for other jobs?

pg_gerrydulac:: Not that I'm aware of.

T22POST: Gerry, when the Steelers win this game, where do you rank them all time in Steelers history?

pg_gerrydulac:: I rank them as the sixth Steelers team to win a Super Bowl. Not even the most improbable. that was the 2005 team.

praveen: Do you think the Steelers will actually rediscover the benefits of play action for the Super Bowl? It seems like Arians went with either fully telegraphed runs or empty backfields for a decent portion of the last game.

pg_gerrydulac:: Let's hope so. Don't forget, though, the Steelers left about 20 points on that field with dropped passes against the NFL's No. 2 defense. So the OC must be doing something right

T22POST: Gerry, why have we stuck with Mitch Berger the entire year? He could end up deciding the outcome of this game with his terrible kicks! How hard is it to find a decent kicker?

pg_gerrydulac:: How many different punters you want them to pay???

Jeff_Tanders: Do you think there is any chance that special teams play a big role in the game? The Cards have a pretty strong unit led by Jeff Engel

pg_gerrydulac:: Sometimes those are what decide big games. It decided the last Cards-Steelers matchup when Steve Breaston returned a punt 70-some yards for a TD.

MWarren18: In an ESPN column, Big Ben was described as running around like a kid hugging linemen and having a great time after the AFC Championship win. He also has stated that he wanted to get back to the Super Bowl to make up for his poor showing against Seattle. Do you think Ben could be in for a huge game in the Super Bowl something like 330 yards and 3 TDs?

pg_gerrydulac:: I don't think there's any question. I think he is determined to make up for that poor showing last time. I'm convinced he will be the game's MVP.

lEFTY: Gerry, is it imperative that Hines Ward play this game for the Steelers to win?

pg_gerrydulac:: No. But I think it will hurt their chances if he doesn't from this standpoint -- I don't think Limas Sweed is ready to step in and perform on a semi-consistent basis, not on this stage.

cburgstiller: Do you think its possible the physical playy of the Steeler D will get in Fitzgerald's head and slow him down any? Might he be thinking about Ryan Clark lurking in the middle?

pg_gerrydulac:: I'll use my golf analogy: It's one thing when J.B. Holmes is trying to hold off Adam Scott in the Shell Houston Open. It's another when he feels Tiger Woods coming behind him at the Masters. Got it?

MoeLarry_Cheese: Do you think our defense may get a little tired of hearing about how good the Cardinals offense is by Super Sunday?

pg_gerrydulac:: Very good MLC ... I think they're already tired of it. Makes 'em more determined, more prepared.

hello: Do you see the Steelers offense having more success on the ground or through the air against the Cardinals D?

pg_gerrydulac:: If they are having success with one, they will have succes with the other. So long as they don't -- forgive me, Plaxico -- shoot themselves in the foot, if you will.

Steeler_Fan_In_Cen_CA: Gerry, what do you know about the officiating crew? Will there be a lot flags or will they let them play?

pg_gerrydulac:: I know they will be wearing black and white outfits and carrying these funny little yellow flags in their pocket. Oh yeah, and whistles. Beyond that ... nothing.

MWarren18: Do you think the defensive strategy would be mostly zone with less blitzes then normal. Bump and run on Fitz on the outside with Ike and having safety help over the top?

pg_gerrydulac:: Is this Dick LeBeau??

Mile_Hi_Stiller: Given Parker's poor showing against Baltimore (dropped pass, fumble and no yardage), would you start Moore?

pg_gerrydulac:: Not unless it was Lenny Moore. Or Bobby Moore, aka, Ahmad Rashad.

MWarren18: I saw Hines is getting a chamber shipped to Tampa; do you think there is any chance that he will not play in the Super Bowl?

pg_gerrydulac:: Not unless he gets locked in that chamber. I will leave you with this thought: Wonder if Dan Rooney got any pointers from his friend, Barack Obama? After all, he knows all about beating someone from Arizona.

See you in Tampa!!!
First published on January 23, 2009 at 2:15 pm
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
JackHammer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 5640
Default Re: Chat Transcript: Gerry Dulac on the Steelers

Two great answers IMHO.

Quote:
pg_gerrydulac: You're mistake was watching John Fedko.
Quote:

MoeLarry_Cheese: Do you think our defense may get a little tired of hearing about how good the Cardinals offense is by Super Sunday?

pg_gerrydulac: Very good MLC ... I think they're already tired of it. Makes 'em more determined, more prepared.
I've been wondering about this and I can't wait to see them hit someone
JackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote