Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #11
SteelerDeli_Dad
Water Boy

Member Number: 12381
Default Re: Latest cap numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82CardsGrad View Post
Or, you could be like the Super Bowl bound AZ Cardinals and have $41 million under the cap!!!

Does Bidwell still own the team? Just because he's got it doesn't necessarily mean he'll spend it.
SteelerDeli_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #12
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

19 MIll...

That is enough to resign Kemo and Starks. Let Marvel Smith walk. Resign B-mac.

We should be able to do those things and STILL have 4-7 Mill in cap space, enough to sign our rookies and even go out and a get a good FA for the line.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

I think that 19 million is a bit deceiving. The Steelers don't plan one year out. One of the reasons for our success is that they are very good mid to long term (financial) cap planners. Ben's contract will start to kick in big time over the next few seasons following 2010, so don't expect the Steelers to go hog wild next season.

Of course, we know next season is the last capped season until there is a new labor agreement. Still, keep in mind that the Steelers are diciplined enough to stay around the same spending totals regardless of if there is an actual cap in place. In addition, once there is a cap again (which there will be), teams like the Cowboys and Skins, who have owners that can't control themselves, will be in cap hell for a few years.

I agree though that we are better off than we have been the last few years. There should be enough to sign a few of out FA linemen and maybe even pick up a mid salary FA, so we don't have to start all over again with the O'line. Hopefully, there is enough "cap space" out years 2 and beyond to extend Harrison before nexrt season.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerDeli_Dad View Post
Does Bidwell still own the team? Just because he's got it doesn't necessarily mean he'll spend it.
Didn't Arizona just extent Fitz? I bet that cap number goes way up next season ofr you see players bolting.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #15
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609

Don't forget that our upcoming superbowl win is going to inflate contract requests...

Marvel Smith - GOODBYE FINALLY

Max Starks - I would actually like to keep the guy. However we franchised him because we couldn't sign him to a deal last time...so if we go and win the superbowl, I'm sure his contract request is going to stay high, if not skyrocket again...

Need to keep Kemo

And I'm sorry...I don't see wasting a huge portion of our cap space trying to find linemen in free agency. Getting an offensive line isn't like buying a great expensive receiver and getting immediate results.

We're seeing our line SLOWLY improving this season for one reason....cohesiveness. They know what their jobs are and know the jobs of the others on the line. They trust each other. They depend on each other.

We didn't have that early in the year. It was more obvious that nobody knew what they were doing in the beginning of the season. That's why I wanted to see the O-Line coach dumped....because their problems came from the top.

However...it seems like he's finally getting them to gel a little bit...so I guess he can stay ;)
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #16
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

i think OneForTheToe and Glace make excellent points.

my take is that our o-line can suck just as bad wether we keep our own (soon to be high priced) free agents, go get another teams free agents, or just throw cheaper rookies in and build through the draft.

the continuity it took our team 17 weeks to build is gonna be compromised anyways so we might as well start from scratch. this may hurt ben, but keeping the expensive starks, smith, simmons also hurt ben. its a wash.

our defense is a different question. ryan clark, bryant mcfadden, and james harrison are integral parts of our teams success.

we need to also think about wahington, holmes, and miller.

lets face it... there arent too many rookies who are gonna make our roster next year.

i say we make all the trades necessary to land 1-2 blue chip lineman in the draft, to relace the ones we lose, and go from there.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #17
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
19M is a nice chunk of change and can go a long way in getting a couple of quality players either via the draft or FA. Kemo isn't going to want a King's ransom and Marvel was injured most of the season so I don't believe he is going to command big bucks either. Let Starks go - though I really like the guy, he isn't worth what the Steelers are paying him through the franchise tag.
HTG, I agree with you, but who do you think we should get to play Left Tackle next season? I dont trust a rookie to get Ben's blind side and its not the Steelers style to get a high priced FA like Jordan Gross.

As much as I dont like the idea, I think the Steelers will negotiate to keep either Starks or Smith.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:04 AM   #18
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

That is a very nice cap number to be dealing with this off season. At this point there are only 2 individuals that I want to have resigned and that would be McFadden and Washington. And I still let Smith, Starks and Kemo all walk although unfortunately the FO will probably try to resign Starks and I would absolutely hate that.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:19 AM   #19
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

If they can resign Starks for reasonable money they should, and try to keep kemo. I would keep McFadden over Washington but that may be difficult as he will demand big money on the FA market. We have Sweed to replace Washington, I believe Sweed will do well in the SB and have a very good season next year.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote