Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 7614
Default Obama chooses to skip Salute to heroes Ball

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/8666

American Legion Acknowledges That Obama Failed to Attend the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball

Submitted by Julie on January 25, 2009 - 11:18am. Elections Elections 2008 Government News Politics Society U.S. Government U.S. Politics US News White House

Barack Obama became the first U.S. president to skip out on the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball since its inception in 1953. The event recognizes recipients of the military's highest award - the Medal of Honor - and as The Cleveland Leader previously reported, over the past 56 years and 14 inaugurations, no President has failed to appear at this event until now. Following the breaking of this news, there have been some misconceptions and erroneous information floating around. The American Legion, one of the main sponsors of the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball, issued a statement making it clear once and for all that Barack Obama did not in fact attend the event. Craig Roberts, Media Relations Manager for the American Legion, issued the following statement: The American Legion, as it has on every inauguration evening since 1953, hosted the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Banquet & Ball on January 20th. The quadrennial event is co-sponsored with fourteen veterans service and military service organizations and honors recipients of the Medal of Honor. Forty-seven of these heroes attended this year’s event which was held in the Renaissance Washington DC Hotel. President Obama was invited but did not attend. Vice-President Joe Biden did appear, however, and was very warmly received. The new President’s absence was understandable considering the unprecedented logistical challenges presented by the vastly increased number of visitors to this inauguration and the necessary attendant security measures. The American Legion, as an organization, does not feel offended or “snubbed.”
Obama did make appearances at 10 official balls on January 20, including the Neighborhood Ball, the Home State Ball for Illinois and Hawaii, the Commander-in-Chief Ball, the Youth Inaugural Ball, and the Home State Ball for Delaware and Pennsylvania. He and his wife Michelle finished up the evening with brief appearances at the Mid-Atlantic, Western, Midwest, Easter, and Southern Regional Balls. The Commander-in-Chief Ball, as some have falsely insinuated, is not the same as the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball. The Veteran's Ball, which had been cancelled after the event's organizer disappeared, is also not to be confused with the event honoring Medal of Honor recipients. The Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball did take place at the Renaissance Washington DC Hotel on January 20, 2009. 47 Medal of Honor recipients were in attendance at the event. The President traditionally attends, as does the Vice President and other dignitaries. Vice President Joe Biden did attend, but President Obama did not. Instead, Barack Obama chose to be in the company of Kanye West, Beyonce, Jay-Z, Kid Rock, Stevie Wonder, Mary. J. Blige, Usher, Faith Hill, Alicia Keys, Adam Levine, Shakira, will.i.am, Samuel L. Jackson, Sting, Mariah Carey, Leonardo DiCaprio, Sheryl Crow and Marc Anthony, amongst numerous other celebrities in attendance at the balls he did appear at.
Barack Obama made a monumental mistake in declining to attend the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball in favor of rubbing shoulders with celebrities. While the American Legion states that they do not feel snubbed or offended, plenty of America's citizens and servicemen are.

As a member of the armed forces, this really bothers me, they talk about "logistical challenges" but hes the first president not to go...but he sure made it to the partys with all the famous people
Old 01-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: Obama chooses to skip Salute to heroes Ball

Yeah, I read that yesterday. Of coarse, he is under the impression that the Military didn't vote for him according to the polling, so why should he show up and "honor" them with his presence.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
Yeah, I read that yesterday. Of coarse, he is under the impression that the Military didn't vote for him according to the polling, so why should he show up and "honor" them with his presence.

I guess because the "celebrities" voted for him, he owed it to them to be there
Old 01-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindes204 View Post
I guess because the "celebrities" voted for him, he owed it to them to be there
Yep, pretty much...I mean, if he's still practicing Chicago Pay to Play politics I mean...I'm sure he really regrets being the First President to miss the Veteran's ball...First President to Diss the Military on his first Day...lots of firsts with this guy.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,003 Times in 1,282 Posts

I guess this goes to show that Vets and even MOH recipients have a smaller voice and virtually no influence compared to the celebrity. Been that way for years now. Obama missed an opportunity to win over group of very important people IMO. Oh well, his loss.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Well this really bothers me. those men put their lives on the line at some point in their lives so he could have the rights he has. That shows me he has little respect for the military and the men and women serving.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #7
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 10715

Obama to have military ball during inauguration

12:00 AM CST on Friday, January 2, 2009

The Associated Press

HONOLULU – President-elect Barack Obama will have a Commander in Chief's Ball during his inauguration with military personnel, their spouses and those wounded fighting in the ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as guests.

Officials said Thursday that tickets for the Jan. 20 military-only ball will be free to guests. The formal event will be at the National Building Museum in Washington.

"It is a privilege to honor our men and women in uniform during our inaugural festivities by continuing the tradition of the Commander in Chief's Ball. Our troops represent the best America has to offer, and without their dedication and sacrifice we would not be able to enjoy the freedoms that we are coming together to celebrate on January 20," Obama said in a statement released while he vacationed in his native Hawaii.

Aides say most of the guests will be enlisted personnel and junior officers. Others will be active duty military members, active duty National Guard and National Guard Reserve members. The guest list also will include those injured in military actions, families of those killed in combat and spouses of those deployed.

Obama and his wife, Michelle, are scheduled to attend 10 official inaugural balls.
TheSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 10715

And god forbid we got kids excited about this election. Its not like they are the future of this country.
Yep that looks like Jay Z to me. Look it was probably a bad move he didnt go. But dont tell me he does not care about the armed forces.
TheSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #9
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteelCurtain View Post

And god forbid we got kids excited about this election. Its not like they are the future of this country.
Yep that looks like Jay Z to me. Look it was probably a bad move he didnt go. But dont tell me he does not care about the armed forces.

those words never came out of my mouth, im just presenting facts....facts never reported by the mainstream media....he was the first president not to honor the MOH recipients
Old 01-26-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,145 Times in 2,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindes204 View Post
he was the first president not to honor the MOH recipients
maybe he was the 1st president to not be invited.