Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-27-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583
Default Troy Polamalu: Put Pride Aside

http://www.cbn.com/700club/guests/in...alu012709.aspx

Hope you enjoy reading this interview, as much as I did.

– Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu is one of the fiercest defensive players in the NFL. His combination of speed, anticipation, and toughness make him ideal for the position. In the 2008 season alone, he made over 432 tackles, 7 sacks, and 17 interceptions. And once again, this 3-time pro bowler helped his team win a trip to compete for their second Super Bowl Championship in three years. When Troy is on the field he’s a lion!

“I try to be passionate about every aspect of my life," Troy said, "how I love my wife, how I serve my wife, how I serve God. In the same way I try to be passionate about football. I try to serve my coaches with passion. I try to serve my teammates with passion. I try to serve God, through football, with passion.”

Troy has been a Christian since college. After he entered the NFL in 2003, he’s worked hard to maintain good character and not allow fame to get the best of him.

“Pride is tough. You go to high school and its pride, courage; it's all these types of words that we use to motivate us," Troy said. "I don’t think there’s anywhere in the Scriptures through the saints lives where pride was ever a positive characteristic of anybody. That kind of egotism is a really tough struggle, especially in this business and this entertainment business that we have. It’s a big struggle of mine.”

Although pride can be a struggle for any athlete, Troy says that it’s not the obvious things that are the hardest to deal with.

“It’s like the big things that are the easiest to turn away from," Troy said. "It’s like the accumulation of small things [that are hard]. You know, people know adultery’s bad and murder’s bad. I’m not going to go out and sleep with the first girl I see. But when your eyes start wandering, and your eyes start wandering a little bit more, and your eyes start becoming a little more jealous and envious, and these passions start rising up inside of you - that’s when it gets really dangerous. Because the devil doesn’t work that way. His strategy’s always to be very subtle and continue to build on top of that evil seed that he planted."

With all of the struggles and temptation that Troy faces, he says that prayer keeps him rooted.

“Prayer is a foundation. It’s your communication with God. It's constant prayer - constant, constant, constant prayer," Troy said. "As you prayer life becomes more and more fine tuned and your conscience becomes more and more fine tuned, you’re able to start plucking away at these things; like, 'Wow, you know, this is not good.' I think that’s a struggle of every Christian, to be able to get to that point where they’re in constant prayer with God - so that everything they do, in thought, in speech, in work, is praising God and worshipping God.”

Troy is approaching his seventh season with the Steelers and shows no signs of slowing down. Whether he’s making an interception, diving into a play for a tackle, or sacking a quarterback, troy makes sure he keeps things in perspective.

“I don’t love the sport in general. I don’t wake up every day and say, 'Yeah football - contact time!' No, I don’t. I love the atmosphere football brings, I love being around my teammates, I love the struggle in football," Troy said. "I love the fact that it is a part of my life. I don’t look at it as any more important or less important as any other part of my life. But, the fact that God has brought me here and has made this a part of my life - I do love that about football.”

GO STEELERS!! Love ya TROY!!!
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
SuzyPeppercorn
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2955
Default Re: Troy Polamalu: Put Pride Aside

I'm hoping Troy has another fantastic game this Sunday! He deserves it
SuzyPeppercorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
Steelcitygal87
Banned

I have a feeling he will! He is such a beautiful person. Out of every player in the NFL he is the one I have the most respect and admiration for.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

Man, what an awesome read. Thanks for the post that brought out just how important our God Above should be in our lives.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdave1969 View Post
Man, what an awesome read. Thanks for the post that brought out just how important our God Above should be in our lives.

You are welcome. I like to read about what players have to say regarding things other than football. Troy has his priorities straight, that is for sure.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
shevdog
Team Captain

Member Number: 120

Troy is the man! He's a tough dude, plays through pain and dishes it out! A true team player, class act, and a force to be recond with!

[cue "Polamalu song"]

Steelers Football: Simply the Best!
shevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
Steelcitygal87
Banned

I thought it was interesting how he pointed out it isn't the big situations/things that are the hardest to turn away from, but rather the smaller ones. Because he knows the small things that catch your eye, can snowball into bigger and more dangerous things... and before you know it...you got yourself into trouble.

Gosh, I love that man.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
Acerero'1972
Water Boy

Member Number: 11645

He is a special person, a warrior in the field and in life, an example to follow ....
Acerero'1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
Hines4ever
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9374

Beautiful.....what an amazing guy.....
Hines4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
In the 2008 season alone, he made over 432 tackles, 7 sacks, and 17 interceptions.
That's one helluva season! How'd he not win MVP??? *sarcasm Smilie*
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote